• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Less freedom

Azure Sage

March onward forever...
Staff member
ZD Legend
Comm. Coordinator
Honestly, places locked behind items make me irritated. I loved that BotW allowed you to go anywhere if you were creative enough. We need more of that. Seeing a place where I know there's something cool or interesting yet I can't get there unless I have something that I don't is nowhere near as satisfying as figuring out how to get over there using the tools at my disposal.

Yes, i agree. But i love if some places are optional, but locked behind items. If a place is locked behind a item I personnaly would be more satisfied to finnally reach that area.

I mean, I can see more satisfaction in finally returning to an obstacle you found earlier, with a means to clear it. BotW didn't have a purpose for this though, since they got rid of pieces of heart. You can still have liberty while having some areas only accessible after you do something else, that offers a little bit of drive amidst the aimlessness of having everything you ever will have at your disposal from the getgo. BotW was an extreme, so I'm wondering if BotW2 will take thigs back a bit.

Jirohnagi

Braava Braava
Honestly, places locked behind items make me irritated. I loved that BotW allowed you to go anywhere if you were creative enough. We need more of that. Seeing a place where I know there's something cool or interesting yet I can't get there unless I have something that I don't is nowhere near as satisfying as figuring out how to get over there using the tools at my disposal.

I think unrestricted access is overly a bad thing, how many people ran afoul of Lynels because they didn't know of them or how to deal with them. However i do think overly restricted access is god awful look at SS we had too much there.

Personally i'd like it if we had freedom to travel but have items such as hookshot or farores wind that'd help actually getting around a bit easier, or rather open up shortcuts, all the zelda games had shortcuts in one shape or another and BOTW it was sadly lacking, in BOTW we had the Travel medallion in the end for this which is great, but we had nothing that'd allow ascension real easy, yeah we had Revali's Gale but you couldn't just use it on ever mountain range and you can quite easily overshoot trees.

Reactions: Dio

Azure Sage

March onward forever...
Staff member
ZD Legend
Comm. Coordinator
Personally, I really don't like having to backtrack to get things I could have gotten if only I had a specific item. If I have to miss something, I prefer it to be because I missed it, not because I saw it and wasn't able to get it yet. That's what makes revisits fun for me. It's less fun if I already know what I'm going back for. It becomes more like something to check off a list in that case. Combing over an area I'm revisiting because I wanted to revisit it and finding things I didn't know were there is a lot more fun for me.

GrooseIsLoose

Slickest pompadour in town
ZD Legend
@T. H. Skyward Sword , looks like you've double posted. you can always edit your posts.
And no, freedom isn't overwhelming. Places locked behind items sucks!. :confused::confused:
I've not played BotW fully. I've played it in my friend's console. The reason why I want to buy it now is cos I was awestruck and attracted by the game's open world-ness .
Zelda is now evolving into a Skyrim and that's exactly what most of us want!

Dio

~ It's me, Dio!~
Unrestricted access to everything is unsatisfying it's why many people who become multi millionaires after a while begin to feel their lives are unrewarding and they become depressed.

Having goals is a good thing. A sense of having a distant objective which is not possible to undertake yet e.g fighting Ganon and smaller objectives which pave the way for that grand objective is best rather than being able to tackle that thing right away.

Wanting to go somewhere and then doing something challenging to access that place is far more rewarding than just being able to go anywhere. I liked in Dragon Age Inquisition that multiple areas unlock at a time which gives some choice in where to go next. I think this should be the case with Zeldas dungeons. You should have a choice of perhaps three to begin with and the choice of which order to do them in before unlocking the next part of the story. Then events would occur making a different set of dungeons available.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom