• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Legends of Zelda: Retellings of the Same Story?

Octo Rocked

Dr. Octorokapus BLAAAAAH!
Warning: Contains spoilers.

I've read a theory somewhere that the reason so many of the games are similar is because the Legend of Zelda series is just that: a series of legends. The theory stated that the games were all one legend: that of a boy named Link saving a princess named Zelda from a man/beast named Ganondorf/Ganon. The games are all just retellings of the same story, and the storyteller took a few liberties and made each version his/her own.

I don't completely embrace this theory, but I've noticed some similarities between games. For example, Ocarina of Time and A Link to the Past share some similarities (3 MacGuffins, transportation between a "lighter" and "darker" world, then 7 more MacGuffins; final battle where the main (human) villain then becomes Ganon), and could quite possibly be the same game. Similarly, Oracle of Seasons and the original Legend of Zelda have many of the same bosses (due in part to Seasons' original role as a remake).

There are other such cases where there are glaring similarities, such as with Link's Awakening and Phantom Hourglass: Link at sea and washed ashore at the beginning, the Windfish/Ocean King, and notably, the non-Ganon Big Bad. I say "notably" because, unlike the forms of Majora, the Nightmare and Bellum are draining someone's power and both seem to deal with the mind--Nightmare, obviously, but Bellum could be short for Cerebellum.

Now, some games are quite obviously different, but who says that all of the games in the series are different stories> Couldn't some be the same story, just told in a different way?

Discuss.

ironknuckle1

Archer Extraordinaire
obviously there is aconnection between the oracles both have essences, maku trees, 8 dungeons, twinrova, a boss controlled by twinrova, ganon, and the oracles. I can also see the ALTTP and OOT one along with the other ones you mentioned but i dont believe this idea because of how many are sequels to each other making a sort of timeline.

But you could argue that the titles that really dont have a set place in the timeline may be the misinterepted or changed to sound better versions of other games. other then this i dont see this as being true.

Locke

Hegemon
Site Staff
Storylines would be more easily rememberd by story-tellers than details about bosses, etc. Your comparison between OoS and LoZ, for example, falls through here. Despite several striking similarities, each game has a distinctly different story, which would be better retained than the specific details as time goes on.

I also prefer to think of the games being the Legends of Zelda rather than telling them. It really gets you more involved than being a 'listener' would, which is what Nintendo wants.

...plus we have developer quotes.

Master Kokiri 9

The Dungeon Master
Honestly I see how they're similar but I don't think they're exactly retellings of the same story. In fact I, myself, have even seen the major similarities between ALttP and OoT and PH and LA. I just at first thought that meant they were connected. Granted most of them are rather similar, but I don't accept that theory.

Mikenike

Thanks, Mike
This is a very nice speculation but I find it to be incorrect. I believe that it calls them legends because it was such an amazing adventure that they will becaome legends, or it is like a book telling of how each decendant created legends by saving the country he lived in.

This is a very nice speculation but I find it to be incorrect. I believe that it calls them legends because it was such an amazing adventure that they will becaome legends, or it is like a book telling of how each decendant created legends by saving the country he lived in.

By your theory the games would be called the Legend of Link then, you do know Zelda is the girl right?

CZG

Have 30 people in a room.
Have the first one tell a complicated story.
Have the others tell the same thing one after each other.

See where you end up!

It's the same legend mostly, some adventures seem to have nothing to do with it, but they will fall in place after a few more Zelda games, being Links personal sidequests. Nobody telling the story knew all the facts of the legend of zelda.

Link and Hyrule share secrets and powers way beyond Nintendo's reach....

EDIT: either that, or history is simply repeating itself after some centuries, like it always does....

Last edited:

Mikenike

Thanks, Mike
By your theory the games would be called the Legend of Link then, you do know Zelda is the girl right?

......What is your problem with me man. Hint the "I find it incorrect" NOT "I logically know for a fact I am right". If i knew 100% I am right then i will say it. If I don't know for a fact the I won't mention the "I know 100%".

And yes, I know that Zelda is a girl...

And I said "by your theory". Plus you don't need to say that it's 100% true or factual when you are trying to make statements.

LozzyKate

Ask Me Why I Love The Photoshops
Okay, if I explain this one more time, lol.

The LOZ series all have individual stories and characters. There are two who are always the same, but that is the point. Each game is special in its own way. Not everything is the same about multiple things. I hope this helps you.

Tom

Okay, if I explain this one more time, lol.

The LOZ series all have individual stories and characters. There are two who are always the same, but that is the point. Each game is special in its own way. Not everything is the same about multiple things. I hope this helps you.

I agree, and I'd like to say that this thing they're doing with the cel-shaded series is pretty annoying, for it ruins most of the timelines... (WW~PH~ST)

Octo Rocked

Dr. Octorokapus BLAAAAAH!

Technically, if you go by a "Legend" theory, it could be that, Link having moved on to other places (or just too modest to talk about himself), they could be called that because Zelda is the one telling the Legend and giving the stories of his mighty deeds.

To elaborate on this whole thing some more. Look at the Arthurian legends. Are they based off of real events and people? Perhaps, but they're far too elaborated to be fact. Is there any specific timeline for the legends? No, just a bunch of stories that may or may not link together. What about the legends that, say, go from England to France? Wouldn't some things change in the translating for the sake of the audience? When you think about it that way, it's actually quite a plausible theory. One that I don't entirely support, mind you.

Anyway, what do you think about the games with similar plots or plot elements, like OoT/ALttP or LA/PH? Are the games somehow connected?

Going off on a tangent here, but could parallels like that be a result of a split time line trying to repair itself? For example, perhaps ALttP takes place in the child timeline, trying to syncronize the timeline by telling the story that happened on one side but not the other. Perhaps Link's Awakening and Phantom Hourglass are on different sides of the timeline, but parallel each other time-wise. And finally, maybe it's evidence of a third timeline, trying solely to bring the other two together again. Of course, this is all purely my wild speculation.

Zemen

[Insert Funny Statement]
It's a cute idea but it wouldn't make sense because some of the legends are clearly connected to other legends (a.k.a. direct sequels obviously aren't the retelling of the same legend but a legend that takes place after a legend). They are all separate adventures of boys that happen to have the same name.

Erimgard

Even Ganon loves cookies
I wrote a Bombers article on this very topic.
Basically, while I disagree with the "Legend Theory" I constructed one that accounts for the repeat legends, while at the same time, also accounts for the obvious chronological connections.

The Legends of Hyrule

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom