• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Legendary, Unique, The Best And The Coolest Zelda Games

Majora's Cat

How about that
I was curious about what true Zelda fans thought were the most unique, legendary, coolest and the best of all Zelda games. Here is my opinion:

The Most Unique: Wind Waker. No matter how many people believe Majora's Mask is the most unique Zelda, I would still have to say WW. Majora's Mask was indeed unique because of the darker tone, the depth in character and the three day time limit... which brings me to my case. Wind Waker not only changed the graphical style, but sailing and a Hyrule filled with water may just make Wind Waker the most daring Zelda as well. Change is a good thing, and Wind Waker seemed to usher in that very wind of change, making it my vote for the most unique Zelda.

The Coolest: Majora's Mask. Nobody could possibly doubt the apocalyptic moon hanging over you the whole game isn't cool. What about Majora himself (or herself)? Majora's Mask may be one of the coolest bosses ever in a video game. The urgency and the dark and sinister tone of the game made Majora's Mask the strangest Zelda ever. Plus, since when did we ever care for the NPC's in a Zelda game until Majora's Mask's release? Without a doubt, Majora's Mask is plain cool.

The Best: Twilight Princess. Many may disagree, but TP is technically the best Zelda I've played so far (that includes Zelda, TP, MM, OoT, WW and ALttP). The graphics outdo those of any other Zelda, the gameplay was more detailed, the overworld was expansive and littered with the most secrets and sidequests I had ever seen in a Zelda game. I must say the dungeons and bosses were a bit on the easy side, but most people who are fans of the classic Zeldas forget their beloved OoT was terribly easy in the beginning, and the bosses were also extremely easy. All in all, TP may not have been the most innovative Zelda, but the addition of Wolf Link and the Twilight Realm spiced things up.

The Legend: Ocarina of Time. Let's not have anybody doubt this: Ocarina of Time is not only the greatest Zelda ever, but the greatest game of all time. This may sound confusing. If TP is "The Best", how come OoT is the greatest game ever? The answer is simple. Even though TP improves on many aspects of previous Zelda games, only one can be crowned the granddaddy of Zelda games and all video games alike. OoT was revolutionary - a masterpiece. In 1998, no one would ever think twice that another game could ever be better than OoT. No game is better to this day. OoT was an innovation - the start of a new chapter in video-gaming. Even if I believe at its core, TP was a slightly better game than Ocarina of Time, the N64 classic is still one of the most influential games of all time. From the gameplay to the epic finale, OoT is the king of Zelda and the king of all games.

I've stated my opinion - you don't have to agree with it. I just want to know what other people think. :P

Kybyrian

Great to see a new member making good threads! Welcome to the community.

Now, as for your list, I agree with more than half of it. I think you've explained it pretty well, but I'll try to rephrase it.

The Most Unique
The Wind Waker was, in my opinion, the most unique Zelda to date. It was definitely an entirely different theme from what we're used to. It's very common that we are put into the game and it's simply a large body of land where we're going around fighting the baddies. The Wind Waker completely changed this. They even gave us a completely different style of graphics. It was nice to see Toon Link finally come alive in all his 3-Dimensional glory. The Wind Waker took the usual overworld and changed it into something else we haven't seen before. It flooded most of the land of Hyrule, leaving a few islands left to which you could travel. This is so much different from all that we've had before. It was the first game to feature the boat, and it used it very well. The new items were spectacular, though maybe most of them weren't completely unique. The whole idea of a completely different overworld - a flooded Hyrule - was one of the best ideas they've had in my opinion. It was a very unique game, and certainly also a very enjoyable one.

Coolest Game
I suppose you could call Majora's Mask the "coolest" game. I think that the whole mask idea was very appealing, as well as the 3 days that they give you. They were pretty cool ideas in my opinion. Majora's Mask was also a very cool boss, and a very good idea. It was definitely a very cool and unique game, and it's something that will always have a good place in my heart as the "coolest" Zelda game.

The Best
Now this is the one that I disagree with you on. It's not that Twilight Princess was a bad game. It was, in fact, a very good game. It just could have been a lot better. I've said it in many threads and I will say it again. Twilight Princess really built on right at the beginning of the game and made you think the world of it. You waited long for it, and wanted so badly to play it, and it felt spectacular at the beginning when you got your hands on it. However, it died down after that excitement. The game had so much potential to be absolutely wonderful, and it was absolutely wonderful at the beginning. After that, though, they seemed to bog it down. It just wasn't quite as appealing later in the game as it was near the beginning. They should have put a little more effort into that part of the game, if you ask me.

As for my favorite, I have to say Ocarina of Time. I suppose that it being the first game that I ever played has a big affect on my stance on it, but I'm going to say it's my favorite anyway. Personally I have a ton of fun playing Ocarina of Time, and I can play it multiple times without ever getting bored of it. It's the Zelda game that I have played the most in the years that I've owned it. It seems to be very appealing to me every time I play it, and for reasons seemingly unknown. Once again, I believe that it being the first game that I played has a big factor, but I think there's something else. Something that I just can't quite put my finger on that made it so appealing to me. Perhaps it was the whole time travel thing, or maybe just the way the world and the story felt. Whatever it was, it made it so much better.

The Legend
This is very obvious. Ocarina of Time is without doubt the legend among the Zelda games. It is rated among the top games of all time. I believe it may even be still ranked #1 on the majority of sites. People found Ocarina of Time very appealing. I believe part of it that made them so excited for it was that it was the first Zelda game that we saw in 3D, and people were very looking forward to that. Not to mention that it seems a lot of Zelda gamers started with Ocarina of Time, so once more there's that "first game played" factor in there. I still think that little variable you can't quite put your finger on counts toward it as well, though. People liked it for various reasons, and I believe there are even a very large group of people who find it so appealing simply because large groups of people find it appealing. Even if you think of it that way, though, you have take this into consideration. If people only like it because there are a lot of people who like it, then how did it get that way in the first place? In order to gain a large body of people liking it for that reason, a lot of people already had to like it for completely different reasons. This makes everybody's "famous because it's famous" argument invalid.

bbevington90

The Mask Salesman
I agree about 100% with Majora's Cat (the initial thread poster). TP isn't a lot of people's favorites (including myself), but I would agree that it probably is the best of them all. OoT is certainly legendary, MM is wicked cool to the millionth degree, and WW is definitely unique (hell, it spawned a toon link look for PH, ST, FS/FSA, and MC). Spot on, spot on.

C

Chuck

I think FierceDeity has it all figured out. I would agree that the most unique is wind waker and the coolest is majoras mask and the legend is Ocarina of time (although A link to the past is a close second) and MM is also the best. Honestly i dont like the idea of Twilight Princess being put as best. The graphics were good (although the screenshots that were posted a few days ago that changed the graphic style were much better) but Zelda has never been about the graphics so that doesn't amount to much. The overworld had litttle to do in it and was also massive which made traveling boring. And the twilight realm was even more boring than the overworld

Jedizora

:right:
The most Unique: MM. 74 hours remain. As soon as you see those words yoou think "74 hours remain? Until what? As you run around termaina, you notice the moon growing bigger. Or is that closer? Either way, you start feeling a impending sence of doom , until, on the final night, the moon slowly comes and crushes the clock tower. You failed. Everyone is dead. Termina is now a wasteland. Or is it? As you sit there, looking at the TV, you relize something: For once, evryone shall die if you don't succed. No prisoners. No one hdding. Not even you. You can't escape the moon. The time limit adds a twist to the gameplay of MM. You gain a sence of impending doom, even as your giving a hand in the tolight paper. Oh, and there is the multide of sidequests.
The coolest: MM. See above.
The best: MM. See above.
The legend: MM. See above.

And also: Thread bump :rolleyes:.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom