• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Twilight Princess Legend of Zelda TP - Items Seem a Little Gimmicky

I

Indridcold85

I rather enjoyed TP but it seemed the further i got in the game the more stupid the items got....It could just be me....Anyone with me?

KrazyKyuubi

OH SNAPPLE
Narnia...And sometimes Pocket Asian's box
I wouldn't say stupid, necessarily.

I thought the Iron Boots were kind of boring in all Zelda games they've been in. Not to say they weren't useful, but I would have come up with a more creative name. Like "Super-heavy awesome boots of mass destruction!" Not very practical, but that's what I would have called them.

Or the Ball and Chain. What about "Magical Spike Swinger?" That sounds kind of cool...

And the Horse Call. I guess a horse call's a horse call, but couldn't they have called it "The Horseshoe Whistle" or something like that?

I don't know what you exactly mean by stupid, but if you meant boring and kind of useless, then those are my deranged thoughts. :D

I thought the items were cool, except perhaps the spinner was a little dumb. But the big problem with the items were that they were never used properly. If they threw tons and tons of uses throughout the entire game instead of just the dungeon you found them in, then they would be less gimmicky and actually have a reason to exist in the game. But they kinda just had them there for that one little dungeon, and now you have a collection of useless items!

Plus, the puzzles were made so predictible because your mind was always thinking of a way to use the brand new item you got, to solve it. You didn't have to go through six different items trying different things to find the solution. That was a weakness in my eyes.
But I loved loved loved the double clawshot.
My thoughts personally.

The items are handy, at least to solve the dungeon they're found in, but I feel as a whole they could have been better implemented. In older Zelda titles you'd have an item hanging around in your inventory that had to be used, say, in the last dungeon, which required a little bit a brain power. (And the "ah ha!" moment when you once again figured out what it was for.) But now it seems that once you have it, you use it once and it hangs out in the back.

The spinner didn't bother me. I like how it had a duel purpose; the traveling thing and its function as a key. And it's used in more than one location. Not a bad little contraption.

Double clawshot? YES. Best thing ever. They're the reason why the City in the Sky is my favorite place ever.

Din Akera

Sniper
I disagree about the items.
I thought the game was very innovative with items.

Ball and chain: THis was new item. To have a power weapon with physical attack. The ball and Chain was slow, but definitely effective when the hit was made. I thouht it was innovative to swing it around your head, aim and throw. It was used for several different things in the game play: breaking ice blocks, making platforms swing/move, and moving blocks around.

Spinner: Another new and very innovative item. Used more as a tool than a weapon it allowed a whole other type of 'puzzle game' Having to jump back and forth from rail to rail to get to a certain spot or make it past danger this item opened a new door for gameplay. It did function as a weapon in some instances, having enough speed allowed you to level some enimeies at least as a first attack. As well as providing a very different fighting style for a boss match. Though this item reminded me of bayblade, i really enjoyed the innovation.

Double clawshot: now, here is an example of an old item that got a much needed update, but one that performed well. The clawshot was much more explanatory as to how it worked than the hookshot/longshot but served an extremely similar function. The addition of the DOUBLE clawshot seemed unnecessary at first and redundent, but the applications became immense very quickly after that point in the game. This item, like the spinner opened another place for innovation in gameplay and world creation and sidequests. Scaling walls whith no floor/ground became exciting, fun, and a challenge when put in the right context. If you hadn't guessed this was my favorite item in the game.

Gale boomerang: Again this item was not new, but received an upgrade of sorts. It did not change in function, but in properties of that function. Like the claw shot it received a little more explanation to how it functioned and ultimately allowed for different uses of the boomerang. Fore example, put out torches from a distance.

Dominon Rod: Very creative. Not so much used as a weapon but again, more of a tool, having the object you possesed function as the weapon. This weapon again made numerous openings for sidequests play.

The only thing I could agree with you on having poor weaponry would be the requirement of the right environment to use the item. The Clawshot, spinner, Dominon rod, and in some cases even the ball and chain were dependent on the environment for their use. But other than that, I stand beside that TP had some VERY innovative weapons.

purplelink

Who started saying Big Mood
krazykyuubi how can you call the iron boots boring i mean the way that nintendo made them was revolutionary they were magnetic almost a remake of the magnetic gloves and i personaly think all the items were innovative

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
They don't seem, they ARE. If you haven't realized it yet, TP is the only Zelda game that throws your items out of the window. The Gale Boomerang is literally useless once you get the Claw/Double Clawshot. The Spinner isn't used outside of a couple areas in Hyrule Field, the Cave of Ordeals, and the Sand Temple (forgot the name). If anything, the items are underused.

KrazyKyuubi

OH SNAPPLE
Narnia...And sometimes Pocket Asian's box
krazykyuubi how can you call the iron boots boring i mean the way that nintendo made them was revolutionary they were magnetic almost a remake of the magnetic gloves and i personaly think all the items were innovative

I don't think THEY are boring. I guess I worded that badly...I just think the name's boring. "Super-heavy awesome boots of mass destruction!" That's still what I would have called them.

Majora's Cat

How about that
All this is true, but I like the remember that even though the Spinner is underused, it's probably one of the coolest items yet in a Zelda game. The reason Nintendo didn't use the Spinner a lot is because it requires an elaborate Spinner railing and it's quite linear when used in dungeons.

PhantomTriforce

I am a Person of Interest
Stupid? Nah, they were new and unfamiliar, and I liked that. The spinner wasn't used very much but it was super awesome. The ball and chain was an awesome weapon. The Dominian Rod was a creative invention. The Double Clawshot, not the most creative dungeon item, but super awesome.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom