• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Legend of Zelda MMORPG

100% agree with what you just said and your signature. I think they would just be customizable Hylians, Gorons, Zoras, or any other races in Hyrule.

Pretty much both of you, spot on.

Something I've noticed...Nintendo seems to have no trouble with Link talking when it's no longer his game. Examples being the Golden Wolf or Gramps. I think it would be extremely difficult to incorporate a playable Link in any MMO setting. I think they could take the Phantasy Star Universe approach or something where they had a "story mode" that was a tutorial for the bigger game, then once you finish said tutorial, the characters from the story mode become NPCs. That could work.

Now, geez...what to play as? And should it be an established "era" from an existing LoZ game or some completely new area? Hmmm...

(I will also chime in that I think Pokémon is the better choice if anything Nintendo goes MMO. But as long as we're dreaming, what the hey?)

Last edited:

starkium

Master Swordsman
ok from the standpoint of an indie developer I can picture a zelda mmorpg, but as it's pretty obvious a lot would change about the play style expected from a zelda title. Pokemon would be interesting and the mechanics would work pretty well, but personally I'd find it boring. Another game that would work, that I wouldn't necessarily play is animal crossing. Nintendo has tons of IP's that are plenty capable of being shifted to mmo's, but it would take patience and understanding from the fan base.

I still dream of the zelda lore and characters being involved in an mmo. To me the perfect era for this would be the time before wind waker where they are waiting on a hero to come save everyone, but link doesn't show up. That means many individuals would have to team up to try and stop the onslaught of peril that faced them. This leaves so much room for mmorpg elements, especially guilds. And because the world wouldn't be completely flooded yet that leaves room for a great open world with an amazing variety of terrain. of course not everything needs to be toonish, but the option is there.

VeryCrazy

Escape if you can...
ok from the standpoint of an indie developer I can picture a zelda mmorpg, but as it's pretty obvious a lot would change about the play style expected from a zelda title. Pokemon would be interesting and the mechanics would work pretty well, but personally I'd find it boring. Another game that would work, that I wouldn't necessarily play is animal crossing. Nintendo has tons of IP's that are plenty capable of being shifted to mmo's, but it would take patience and understanding from the fan base.

I still dream of the zelda lore and characters being involved in an mmo. To me the perfect era for this would be the time before wind waker where they are waiting on a hero to come save everyone, but link doesn't show up. That means many individuals would have to team up to try and stop the onslaught of peril that faced them. This leaves so much room for mmorpg elements, especially guilds. And because the world wouldn't be completely flooded yet that leaves room for a great open world with an amazing variety of terrain. of course not everything needs to be toonish, but the option is there.

I really like that idea. It would be the perfect era for Nintendo to elaborate on story-wise and perfect since there's no Link.

starkium

Master Swordsman
Precisely and it's ripe with story and creation opportunities. Like what would the goddesses do when their hero isn't around to intervene? Do they bless certain heroes with needed power? Is the combined might of heroes enough to at least keep evil at bay for the time needed? We see the glimpses of what the past might have been like in WW or even in another timeline like twilight princess where link hasn't grown up or been born for a while. What happens when he isn't around?

VeryCrazy

Escape if you can...
Precisely and it's ripe with story and creation opportunities. Like what would the goddesses do when their hero isn't around to intervene? Do they bless certain heroes with needed power? Is the combined might of heroes enough to at least keep evil at bay for the time needed? We see the glimpses of what the past might have been like in WW or even in another timeline like twilight princess where link hasn't grown up or been born for a while. What happens when he isn't around?

Well, I think this would be the perfect story for a great Zelda MMO. Maybe someday...

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom