• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Legend of Zelda Commercial - Pe Pe Peahats!

Mases

Lord of the Flies
Administrator
Site Staff
Another classic commercial for the original Legend of Zelda. This one shows a creepy guy looking for Princess Zelda. He is quite obnoxious, of which we shouldn't expect anything different for an 80's video game commercial. To top it off, he is apparently scared of all the various enemies that Link encounters. Makes you wonder... who was this commercial intended for?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E-qBkWerZDg

I added the commercial to the Zelda Commercials section of the site. What did you think of this commercial? Head on over to our Zelda Forums to discuss this amazing piece of work.

Last edited:

Dabombster

Do the thing
Site Staff
The ad should have totally said something like the following...

"The Legend of Zelda. It can make you grow a funny afro, make funny noises, AND scream Zelda's name in the night!"

Shnappy

derp
This makes me wonder why this game is popular. This has got to be the stupidest commercial I've ever seen in my whole entire life. Just, wow. Words cannot describe this.

I really question Nintendo's former way of advertising. This is just absurd... But for some reason it's hilarious. I can't believe I haven't seen this until just now.

BBrrBBBBrBBrBBBBBr. Tekitites!

Petman1325

Poe Catcher
Very...disturbing. Is it me, or is he actually locked up in an asylum? I mean, I know Zelda players, and very few (if not none) act like that. Yet, I wouldn't be suprised if this actually hurt the sales of it. Well, I wasn't raised in the 80's (I love the games from that era, though (Golden Age of Gaming era and Post-Video Game Crash era (Nintendo era)). Perhaps such attitudes were used to attract the attention of children (children love goofy things, and this guy fits the bill), or maybe he's responding the same way a person did after spending 5 hours in the Overworld looking for the first dungeon. :xd:

Yet, if I were to go onto my TV and see this, that would be a turnoff, same with the Zelda rap ads I've seen. I'm glad Zelda ads went from strange and all out odd to epic and mysterious. Well, if you were a 20 year old man watching this in the '86, the first thing you'd think was that that guy was on something, while kids would think of it as "cool". Well, like I said, I wasn't born and raised there. I started playing Zelda after TP came out (OoT). Sorry for going off track, but, like I said, its kinda strange...>.>

dumb180

Warrior Postman
I like it. Truth be told, if I watched this commercial on tv tomorrow for some other game, I'd probably buy it. It's informative and funny. I.. guess.. they're trying to say: "he's played this game so much he feels like he's a part of it! You could feel that way too!"

basement24

There's a Bazooka in TP!
Now THAT's the weird "Zelda!" one I rememebr more than the unfortunate Zelda rap. I remember actually saying to someone, possibly one of my parents that the game wasn't as bad as the ad was making it to be. It's pretty hard to try and convince your parents to buy a $100 video game (and yes, they were $80 to $100 back then...) for you when the ad is this horrible...

I know the AoL commercial was better than this one with another 80's guy, but this time dressed up as Link. He was yelling "Zelda!" like an idiot though as well... (Gasp! He was talking!) I suppose that's an ad for another day...?

linkman8

True and Noble
What a weird commercial. Silly 1980's. The question, though, would be if you saw this commercial on TV in the 80's, would you want to buy and play Zelda? I thought the same thing after the original commercial. XD

Mases

Lord of the Flies
Administrator
Site Staff
I was actually able to find an even higher quality version of this video and changed it. So if you play it again... its a lot better. The audio is improved and the video is a lot brighter.

This guy... is creepy. I mean... it seemed at the time Zelda was supposed to be for kids and teenagers, which made up a vast majority of gamers. Not sure what they idea was sticking what looks like an older/middle-aged man running around screaming 'Zelda' and naming a bunch of Zelda based enemies and getting scared... Sad, yet hilarious.

Smitie

The Dutch Kusagari
I heard this commercial on WZMR several times, but I thought it was sort of a cartoonish ad (with the enemies and link), but I was wrong......very wrong. I wouldn't buy a zelda game if commercial shows a creepy guy like that D:

I don't know if this commercial or any zelda commercial has made it to dutch tv though. I wasn't raised in the 1980's, but I haven't seen any other zelda commercial.

Waker of winds

Finally playing PH!
Ok, this commercial is so weird...

I saw the first commercial long ago, but this one is even more weird than that.

Why are the 80's commercials like this? Today's commercials are very good. I'm not very sure about what would have happened if I wanted to play Zelda and THEN I watched this commercial back then...

NoRush

Soldier, Royal Family
Annoyingly and aggravatingly funny. I'm happy these old commercials are still, always awesome to watch.

ケンジ

僕は準備完了しています!
Paranaque City, Metro Manila, Philippines
Now THAT is why i play Zelda ONLY during Weekends, Because if i play on a weekday and weekends, i'm gonna lose my Sanity :lol:.

Kidding! Man that commercial was really funny, especially the "pee,pee,peahats!!" It really made me think:

What did the 1980s do to Crazy Zelda geeky, wacky, nut-job, zelda-screaming Players?

Answer: Turned them into Pros.

The Castellan

Going bump in the night.
I liked that commercial. I liked how you had to pay attention, because the screen shots were up just for an instant, you'd miss them if you so much as blinked.

The dude reminded me of a young Rob Schnider for some reason. :thinking:

Plus this ad was MUCH better than that geeky dweeb with his rap song. I wanted to see him get vaporized like that one kid was in the very first Metroid ad. :clap:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom