• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Breath of the Wild Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild has sold over 10 million copies, is the best selling Zelda Game

Lozjam

A Cool, Cool Mountain
With the financial meeting today, we learned an excellent tidbit.
https://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/en/finance/software/index.html
The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild has sold over 8.48 Million units on the Switch. Which, wooo boy, that is an accomplishment within itself. However, the story does not end here, because another consoel(albeit a dead one) also sold the game. According to this:
https://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/pdf/2018/180201_2e.pdf
The Wii U version of BotW has sold over 1.5 units as of last year. This is very indicative that BotW has sold over 10 million copies overall. But even if it’s sitting at a lowly 9.98 million, it still is the best selling game in the series. Without remakes, the best selling game of the series was Twilight Princess, with 8.85 Million units sold. Breath of the Wild has cleared that within 1 year and 1 month in the market. Which is something pretty special.

So, I just wanted to pop in and tell all of you. What do you think of this excellent news?

It's a really good sign for Nintendo and the Zelda series. I personally loved BotW, so I'm looking forward to how they add and improve what they did with the game for future installments.

It's really bad news for people that thought BotW was mediocre/bad due to its structure. I severely doubt we'll be seeing a return to the OoT-SS style anytime soon with near universal critical acclaim and sales like these. We might see some elements of the old 3D style bleed back in to the new one, but the new style is here to stay for the foreseeable future.

Castle

Ch!ld0fV!si0n
Pan-decepticon-transdeliberate-selfidentifying-sodiumbased-extraexistential-temporal anomaly
Yeah. I agree with @Ver-go-a-go-go. From now on Ninty will get comfortable with a new tired formula. And this formula isn't new and has been tired for years now. Ninty may have desperately denied TP's sales, but they're obviously much more pleased by BotW.

So, if you like BotW brace yourselves. You're about to become sick to death of it over the next six games (and seven decades).

Dio

~ It's me, Dio!~
When Twilight Princess became the best selling the logical thing would be to make the next game similar but better. They made the next game even worse instead and it didn't resemble TP very closely. So this game selling well doesn't mean anything in that regard.

It is possible that more resources will be dedicated to Zelda now that BoTW sold well so it could be a good thing if you want more Zelda products.

Last edited:

Castle

Ch!ld0fV!si0n
Pan-decepticon-transdeliberate-selfidentifying-sodiumbased-extraexistential-temporal anomaly
It is possible that more resources will be dedicated to Zelda now that BoTW sold well so it could be a good thing if you want more Zelda products.

It doesn't matter if Zelda is a flagship franchise or how much it sells, it'll still take Ninty the better part of a decade to release the next one.

I absolutely understand why. Aside from A Link to The Past, this is the best Zelda game I've ever played.
I love Ocarina and Majora but haven't played the Gamecube or Wii Zelda games at all.
The Minish Cap was the only one I ever tried on the 3ds and that too was a blast.
But none of the previous games even approaches the scope and freedom allowed by BoTW.
After the tutorial shrines, the entire map is open and traversable which has never been done before.
I was(and sometimes still am) completely overwhelmed when I first started; the sheer amount of stuff to do is mind numbing.
Nintendo knocked it outta the park with this one.
Thank you guys(and girls) for making an actual open world. You're now in the same "breath" as Witcher 3 and Skyrim.

HylianEVAN

Conquer yourself
Well breath of the wild was tied up with Ocarina of time but after the game awards, Zelda breath of the wild was and is the best selling title to date.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom