• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Legend of Zelda Animated

basement24

There's a Bazooka in TP!
LEGEND OF ZELDA ANIMATED
- RATED G -

2008-10-07-legend-of-zelda-animated.jpg

Well, since we have this new fan works forum, I thought I'd post one of my own here that I created a while ago. It's one I posted some time ago in a thread about fan art from last winter, but that thread seems to be gone now. This picture is based on the terribly wonderful Legend of Zelda animated show.

I wanted to give it a bit of a cel-shaded look. Most would associate that with Wind Waker, but the animated LoZ was the original Zelda in cel-shading! (Literally, since it was on cels). I tend to cel-shade for a lot of my work since I was trained as an animator.

I also gave the characters a bit of a flat shadow behind them to appear as if they were separate cel layers on an old-school animation table.

Originally I had Sprite to the left of Link (the picture was wider) and the Triforce of Wisdom to the right of Zelda in the pic, but it seemed too cluttered. So, they've been removed.

Shadsie

Sage of Tales
You should submit this to North Castle. Lady Juliet would LOVE it.

When I first clicked this topic, I thought "Is he just posting a screenshot of the series?" Then I realized it was one of your art pieces (and that I've seen it on DA). It looks very true to the series. Yes, I grew up with the series, too. Link was such a dork in it. I prefer his game incarnations, actually, but the series was fun for its time.

I'm glad that you decided to nix Spryte and the ToW - you are right... they would have made the image look cluttered.

As a traditional painter, I admire people who can do cell-shading well, as it's not my forte'.

Master Kokiri 9

The Dungeon Master
Okay I must say you did EXCELLENT! It almost looks like you took pics of Link and Zelda from the LoZ cartoon and claimed it as your own art.

Although 'terribly wonderful'? Okay I've seen tiny bits of it and it's horrible. I've even seen Ganon ride a unicorn! Hardly Ganonish. It's just horrible. Link and Zelda there are nothing like they are in the games. It's just absolutly horrible. Oops I went on a ranting spree.

Anyways it's pretty good.

Shadsie

Sage of Tales
Okay I must say you did EXCELLENT! It almost looks like you took pics of Link and Zelda from the LoZ cartoon and claimed it as your own art.

Although 'terribly wonderful'? Okay I've seen tiny bits of it and it's horrible. I've even seen Ganon ride a unicorn! Hardly Ganonish. It's just horrible. Link and Zelda there are nothing like they are in the games. It's just absolutly horrible. Oops I went on a ranting spree.

Anyways it's pretty good.

I, too, prefer the games canon to the animated series, but... in Ganon's defense for riding the unicorn, as I recall, it was a *stolen* unicorn. So, it's not like he wasn't doing something bad. Still, he wasn't scary enough in the cartoon, no.

However, the cartoon has given us classic lines such as "Excuuuuse me, Princess!" and multiple jokes about why games Link doesn't talk! Oh, and fairy companions.

basement24

There's a Bazooka in TP!
Thank for the compliments! Yeah, the series was a bit odd in retrospect, but really at the time we knew nothing different of the day-to-day in the land of Hyrule, so it didn't feel odd at all.

It is a bit of an odd subject matter I suppose though. I don't think I would be revisiting the animated series in my art anytime soon, but I thought I would give it a go for fun!

Dungeon killer

Dungeon's Shall Fall!
Hey great work basement!
I have seen some of the tv episodes on the internet, I like the picture to it looks awesome you gave a great amount of modern from to it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom