• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Legend of Korra: Season 3 - SPOILERS

Stitch

AKA Patrick
ZD Champion
*sigh* This series is starting to feel too safe. They are fully willing to kill off the bad guys yet not one good supporting character dies or is left severely injured (Earth Queen was a *****, we all wanted to see her die or taken out of power so I don't count her as good). Other than that it was good other than the points that Sydney listed.

Sydney

The Good Samaritan
*sigh* This series is starting to feel too safe. They are fully willing to kill off the bad guys yet not one good supporting character dies or is left severely injured (Earth Queen was a *****, we all wanted to see her die or taken out of power so I don't count her as good). Other than that it was good other than the points that Sydney listed.

So... We're not going to talk about Kya, Bumi, and Tenzin all being injured? The Red Lotus beat the crap out of them. Granted they didn't die, but they still retained some injuries (made evident by Kya needing to use a crutch). I do agree, however, that I'd like to see more supporting characters in peril. Hopefully you'll agree with me that they're headed in the right direction, though.

Stitch

AKA Patrick
ZD Champion
So... We're not going to talk about Kya, Bumi, and Tenzin all being injured? The Red Lotus beat the crap out of them. Granted they didn't die, but they still retained some injuries (made evident by Kya needing to use a crutch).

They weren't left with any injuries that would really affect the rest of their lives. All of them are made out as if they would recover. Right now the stakes just seem higher for anybody Team Avatar faces than for Team Avatar themselves. Heck even emotionally most of Team Avatar comes out better than they should. Maybe my expectations are higher than they should be, but ever since that moment they killed off Amon I thought they were going to be willing to take more risks with the series. I was disappointed that the Red Lotus hadn't killed Tenzin after they showed no remorse about killing the Earth Queen. Korra didn't need to know that Tenzin was still alive for their plan to work, just that the airbenders were still around. It just seemed out of character for them to spare him.

Nicole

luke is my wife
I'd like to thank not only god but also jesus for all the Korrasami at the end of the finale. Remember when I used to ship that just to spite Makorra shippers? Well now I'm really attached goddamnit. Some people argue that since Nick took Korra off the air that there's more of a chance for some actual canon Korrasami; others argue that since Book 4 was already in the animation process when that happened, there's still not much of a shot. I'd really like to see it happen in Book 4. It would be nice to have more canon lesbians, especially in a series that has been in my heart since I was little.

As far as the finale itself goes, I have to say I was not nearly as moved as a lot of people were. I'm almost disappointed in myself for not being as emotionally vested in Avatar as I used to be. By most standards, the finale was objectively very good - well fleshed out, pacing was better than before, and it addressed the complaints most of us had at the end of Book 1. Everyone was pissed that Korra got her bending back so quickly. We wanted to see her struggle, to see how her character would develop while facing such a huge roadblock. Now we have another roadblock, but this one isn't going away overnight. Not only is she physically hurt from her battle and in a wheelchair, but she overtly displays a pretty severe case of PTSD. Think about it. She took down three major threats to the world in... a year? Less? I'm not sure what the time frame of the show is, but it all happened so fast. Now a 17 year old girl has to deal with the remnants of all that. We know it bothers her; when she was fighting the poison, all her past demons came to haunt her. I appreciate this theme so much. I think it'll do a lot for her character to see how she bounces back from this.

I feel like part of the reason I wasn't very moved by it is the simple fact that no one I cared about died. Three villains died ironically by their own hands, but there really wasn't anyone to worry about. I've actually started watching/reading Attack on Titan, and one of the things I love about that series is that no one is really safe. Every manga chapter or anime episode, you have to worry about a favorite character dying. It's exhaustingly investing. With Korra being directed towards a younger audience, we're really not going to have that kind of violence, gore, or stress, but it does pale in comparison to me. I honestly wasn't worried about anyone dying in this finale. I knew everyone was going to be okay. Of course Korra was going to be okay; it's her damn show and Book 4 is already in the making. I was totally prepping for Tenzin to die and having to deal with the heartbreak of his family, but no go. Not even Tonraq died! Like!!!! We can't even kill off a minor character just to unsettle the audience. I think just the fact that it was so predictably safe detracted... a lot, for me personally.

Also I ship Kainora so hard. I love the dynamic between the two. They're both so young but they're major contributors to the group's success. I was touched by Mako and Kai's adopted-brother-off-the-streets moment. I'm glad Mako could be a bit of a role model for Kai and even more glad that Kai turned out to not be a little ****. I love the sister work between Lin and Su. Again, I was prepping for one of them to get blown off the mountain. That would have really hurt. And Bolin is a lavabender!!! Can't bend metal but can bend molten rock. I dig it. I wonder if him being able to bend lava will come into play in Book 4, and if so, how it will affect him. I feel like him discovering he's a lavabender could help him begin metalbending since he seems to have a pretty good confidence boost now. Then again, maybe you can't do both, only one or the other. Who knows.

As a final point, I'm intensely curious about how Zaheer got poison that would force Korra into the Avatar State. I want to know who developed that poison. How did they know it would work? Obviously it wasn't used on Aang. As far as we know it wasn't used on Roku or Kyoshi. Seems to me like it's an old discovery. Wouldn't surprise me at all given the fact that Zaheer is so into studying and using history. I also thought it was cool that P'li was so much taller than Zaheer. They were definitely not the most orthodox couple, and I appreciated them being out of the norm. Now it's time to bust out of the norm further and get some girls kissing.

I totally wasn't planning on writing this much, but I guess I just have a lot to say when it comes to Avatar. I'm very excited for new horizons in Book 4, but also scared. This is our last hiatus... ever. I remember watching the series finale of ATLA and it being totally bittersweet. Now I was given the chance to experience Avatar all over again and it's probably the last time ever. Probably the end of the graphic novels as well. There's gonna be a time in the near future when we don't get anything new out of the Avatar world ever again and I don't think I'm emotionally capable of handling that ))):

Jamie

Till the roof comes off, till the lights go out...
trans-pan-demi-ethno-christian-math-autis-genderfluid-cheesecake
It would be nice to have more canon lesbians, especially in a series that has been in my heart since I was little.

What's the percentage of homosexuals in the USA? Like 2-4%? So I don't see a need to have more than 2-4% of female characters be lesbians.

Zorth

#Scoundrel
Great episode, although was ruined by Jinora getting ugly tattoos and a shaved head. I don't know why, but I expected a different design of the tattoos on female masters.

What really bugged me about this finale was two things. The first being Zaheer's finale, a sock in the mouth... really? Would have much rather seen Zaheer sacrifice himself in some epic way than that lava dude burying himself. The other thing that bugged me was the way Bolin was handled. He should have taken that lava dude out by himself just like the fire guy took out the water lady. Instead he remained a mediocre bender that needed to be saved by his big brother in a duel.

Nevertheless, great season and very interesting to see what will come next.

Nicole

luke is my wife
What's the percentage of homosexuals in the USA? Like 2-4%? So I don't see a need to have more than 2-4% of female characters be lesbians.

Well currently there have been 0% lesbians in Avatar so, using your statistics, we might as well be more accurate and include some. :)

Mask-Salesman

And now.. That imp has it
The other thing that bugged me was the way Bolin was handled. He should have taken that lava dude out by himself just like the fire guy took out the water lady. Instead he remained a mediocre bender that needed to be saved by his big brother in a duel.

This is possibly the only flaw to me in an epic season finale. Bolin was capable to stand his ground, he should have been the one to take him out.

Man, this season was incredible from the start. Ozai, Amon, none of them got anything on the Red Lotus. Most epic group of badguys ever! I enjoyed the season finale so much that I've watched it twice now. I really thought Korra was done for when she was tied with titanium chains and almost entered the Avatar State. But the Avatar State prevailed. The next scene with Korra chasing Zahir was excellent, really reminded me of Aang chasing Ozai.

Zahir however, must be the most powerfull airbender I've seen in the series so far. He seems even more powerfull then Aang, considering he's able to fly (as the second airbender yet!) and he was able to go head to head with Tenzin, an airbending master who has had years to master the art. Even an Avatar State Korra (though poisened) wasn't able to hit him. I doubt she would have won even if she wasn't poisened. I loved this season and can't wait for the next one. Does anybody knows when it's going to air?

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
Well currently there have been 0% lesbians in Avatar so, using your statistics, we might as well be more accurate and include some. :)

This is minor, but this INCLUDE X SEXUAL ORIENTATION TO PLEASE CROWD thing is getting quite ridiculous. Representing X orientation/race/religious belief for the sake of representing those things is not going ot improve the show, so why suggest it? Rather silly. :I
----------
Moving on, I haven't actually watched book 3 or 2, but I did notice that Jinora got bald! She looks exactly like Aang. It's funny xD

Jamie

Till the roof comes off, till the lights go out...
trans-pan-demi-ethno-christian-math-autis-genderfluid-cheesecake

How many canon couples are there period? A few? I mean, you'd need at least 25-50 couples in the show to even work with my statistics

Azure Sage

March onward forever...
Staff member
ZD Legend
Comm. Coordinator
Book 3 was definitely the best book in the entire Avatar series, out of The Last Airbender and the Legend of Korra. And it had a fantastic conclusion. I was really moved by it. Especially at the end with Korra. She's visibly broken from everything she had to go through. I really like how it showed on her face and the way she behaved. She's clearly depressed. And who could blame her after everything that happened?

I think one of my favorite things about the finale was the battle between Korra and Zaheer. I think it was executed beautifully. The fantastic animation coupled with the music had me at the end of my chair. And the ironic deaths of the Red Lotus members was executed really well, especially P'Li's. I freaked out during that part. I really did not see that coming. Having Su's vest enclose her head right when she combustion bends? Damn. Also, Lin distracting her as bait reminded me of when she held off one of the Equalist airships to let Tenzin and his family escape at the end of Book 1. She served as bait in that scene, too.

Now, about Bolin. Seeing him become a lava bender was really exciting. I had hoped that instead of metalbending, he'd become the world's first platinum bender. But lava bending is damn cool, too. I also loved his short scenes of comic relief, when he pushed Su out of the way to hug Opal and when he literally put a sock in Zaheer. Bolin is my favorite character and he never ceases to give me reasons why.

I can't wait to see what Book 4 will be all about. There's been a common theme among the series of each villain trying to get rid of the avatar. Garo mentioned in his post that Korra should have an existential crisis about what it means to be the avatar in Book 4. I'm all for that idea. I think whoever the villain in Book 4 will be is going to force Korra to face this yet again. Maybe before the villain appears, she decides she's had enough of being the avatar and just runs away from her duty. And then the villain appears and she doesn't want to face it because she's had enough. But then with the support of her friends, she learns to truly accept her duty and finally faces the threat head on. And even if it breaks her more, she's come to terms with her duties and understands it comes with the territory so she's able to accept it. Something along those lines would be exciting. Whatever's in store for us for Book 4, I know I'll be incredibly sad to see it end.

Side note; I've seen people mention they were dissatisfied with Book 2's ending. ;-; I really loved that ending and I thought the Book itself was done really well. Definitely a lot better than Book 1's ending. Book 2 was great.

It took me until I rewatched the episode that I realized that Suyin made P'Li blow up her head... And I thought that the murder/suicide at the end of Book 1 was insane for Nickelodeon.

Sydney

The Good Samaritan
It took me until I rewatched the episode that I realized that Suyin made P'Li blow up her head... And I thought that the murder/suicide at the end of Book 1 was insane for Nickelodeon.

I didn't realize that P'Li actually died until Zaheer said so. I was really taken aback by it because she was one of my favorites out of the Red Lotus.

Akuhime-sama

What's Life Without Adult Humor?
I'm not sure if you're joking or not, but you have to wait a week between episodes, which is pretty normal. I'd rather the show premier a new episode every week rather than premier a cluster of episodes followed by a few weeks of breaks.
I'm just used to watching like- 5 episodes in a row is all. (in any series)
Most of the stuff I watch I have on Blu-Ray or DVD. I'm not used to watching stuff as they come out...

I was being serious in the way that I don't like waiting, but also joking in a sense too because I'm not that impatient.
I can wait. But that doesn't mean I like it. xD

Preferably, I'd like to watch them all on some disk form.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom