• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Legend of Korra Book 4: Balance

Mercedes

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
That would be extremely epic. Though Toph isn't what she used to be I think. Wouldn't have a clue who would win that fight.

I don't think Kuvira would have a chance, to be honest. The fight with Tenzin and Zaheer last season showed the skill gap between a true master bender and just a very competent one, Tenzin was beating Zaheer until his friends stepped in, even with all of Zaheer's fancy airbending, and I'd say the skill gap between Toph and Kuvira is even bigger. Plus Toph's bending appears stronger than ever to me, how she can see everyone in the world, and she did invent metalbending and is likely completely un-matched in it, even saying her daughters were pretty bad at it. She comes across as probably one of the most powerful benders alive right now, and excluding Korra in her Avatar State I'd say Toph probably is. She was always a bit OP with Aang, too, that doesn't seem to have changed. :P

#TeamToph

Mask-Salesman

And now.. That imp has it
I don't think Kuvira would have a chance, to be honest. The fight with Tenzin and Zaheer last season showed the skill gap between a true master bender and just a very competent one, Tenzin was beating Zaheer until his friends stepped in, even with all of Zaheer's fancy airbending, and I'd say the skill gap between Toph and Kuvira is even bigger. Plus Toph's bending appears stronger than ever to me, how she can see everyone in the world, and she did invent metalbending and is likely completely un-matched in it, even saying her daughters were pretty bad at it. She comes across as probably one of the most powerful benders alive right now, and excluding Korra in her Avatar State I'd say Toph probably is. She was always a bit OP with Aang, too, that doesn't seem to have changed. :P

#TeamToph

I don't know. Don't you think age is an important factor? Fysically she can't be as fast and agile as she used to be. She has further developped some of her abilities indeed, but I don't know if she could keep up with the youth and power of Kuvira. I'd like to think so though :P

But about Tenzin and Zaheer. Yes, Tenzin was pwning Zaheer pretty hard. But on the other hand, Zaheer has mastered airbending in an extremely short period of time. Plus, he is the first airbender in thousands of years to be able to levitate. I'd say Tenzin was the stronger bender, but the potential of Zaheer was much greater.

Doc

BoDoc Horseman
Finally caught up on this season and I love it. Kuvira seems like a great antagonist, and I love her design. (And, wow, I just realized this is the first main female antagonist in the Avatar series). I am loving Korra's inner turmoil this season.

Although I'm not too happy to see Zhu Li showing character. I loved how simple she was and utterly loyal to Verrich. She even went to prison with that guy! I just would have preferred to see her still doing whatever he says and saying "Yes sir" in that monotone voice. This is such a minor complaint though that doesn't even bother me that much.

Fig

The Altruist
I really don't see why my personal situation should have anything to do with a cartoon. If you recognise yourself in characters or situations from a show, you might like the show more or better. But that doesn't mean that if I never experienced such a situation (not saying I did or I didn't) I can't say a particular scene or episode is bad. I respect your opinion, but come on?! Before the season started Korra has been recovering for 3 years. Now we have seen 6 episodes filled with Korra suffering and recovering. I love the story lines in the Avatar series, the awesome characters, the humor. But the awesome fight scenes and total bad-assery of the Avatar is a big part of the charm. I personally have seen enough recovering. Korra lost every single fight in this season. I mean come on, she's the Avatar! The fact a series is good or bad has nothing to do with my personal situation. I'm just not really feeling the season so far.

Why should my critisism be ''unrealistic''? Because I say Korra is taking to long to recover? If I'd watch Dragonball Z and Goku would fight again 5 minutes after he's been beaten to a bloody pulp and I'd say that he was recovering to fast, would you also say that's unrealistic? How can you put a reasonable recovery time on a cartoon character that's been recovering for 3 years straight?

Listen kind sir, don't get me wrong, I love to discuss the series with someone in this way, but I do think the series is missing some serious pace right now. Maybe this is because season 3 was so extremely good. But you can't call someone unrealistic simply because he looks at the series different then you do.

The thing is with Dragon Ball Z, Goku is a saiyan, not a human born on earth. Because Goku is an alien, it makes sense that he can go to extreme lengths of power when fighting and when the battle is over, he can recover very quickly via senzu beans or because his body is able to regenerate much faster than the human body. This is why saiyans can still regenerate their tails when a saiyan is in extreme danger, even when the tail was cut off prior. After all Goku has had his own tail been cut three times as of now in the franchise. With Avatar/Korra, whether a person is born as a bender or a non-bender, they all were born on the same planet. They are all from the same planet, which closely resembles areas throughout the real world, and thus are much more relatable compared to a saiyan who is part of the cause why a planet blows up should the fighting intense as usual.

Again, while I respect your insight on the show itself, I personally believe that criticism should be reasonable and appropriate no matter what topic is being reviewed upon. Just because something that you personally didn't want/like was part of the episode doesn't mean the episode was bad. There's people who downright dislike Smash 4 simply because it isn't Melee, or because "Little Mac is OP". That shouldn't be a justifiable reason why they would think Smash 4 is bad. Smash 4 would be terrible if was released the Assassin's Creed Unity was first released and being a glitchy mess. The same should be applied to reviewing episodes of any show. Sure there are going to be times that one may dislike something within the episode, but if the episode was generally successful in terms of development, story, dialogue, etc., then it is a good episode. The only way an episode could be considered bad is if the episode itself brought nothing to advance the story or plot. I'm just going to leave this image here and remind people that Aang did went through what Korra was going through to a certain degree back in the original series.
5d6a79d8e0.jpg

Last edited:

Azure Sage

March onward forever...
Staff member
ZD Legend
Comm. Coordinator
This episode was great, but I had just two gripes with it. Just two. One: I thought Wu would have changed a bit after that talk from Mako, but he doesn't seem like he's changed much at all. Kinda disappointing, but I guess I'll give him more time. Two: If... Bataar Jr. thought Bolin and Varrick were dead... Why were there wanted posters of them...?

Other than those two things, the episode was fantastic. Seeing Team Avatar (minus Bolin) back in action again was refreshing. ALSO DID I SPY SOME KORRASAMI HINTS YEEEEEE though it could just be me overreacting to Korra blushing at her lol. (The fact that Korra's voice actress ships korrasami lets me sleep comfortably at night.) Asami was awesome as usual, and Mako is a total dork as usual. Seeing Bolin and Varrick kicking butt was awesome, too. I hope they find their way back to Republic City soon, maybe even with their new friends in tow.

Also Kuvira at the swamp... I hope Toph flips some serious ****.

Mask-Salesman

ALSO DID I SPY SOME KORRASAMI HINTS YEEEEEE though it could just be me overreacting to Korra blushing at her lol. (The fact that Korra's voice actress ships korrasami lets me sleep comfortably at night.) .

Why the hell would that be a good thing? I will never, ever understand what the fascination with the love life of the main characters is. Can be just me, but seriously, Korra and Asami? Dude... o_0

I really liked the episode as well though. Korra finally gets some of her badass-ery back and it was great to see the group back together. Also, Bolin Varrick might be the best combo in cartoon history. It just works :P. Really curious for the next episode, because it's obvious who Kuvira and her army will have to face next.

@ Mercedes
You have the power to predict the future xD

Azure Sage

March onward forever...
Staff member
ZD Legend
Comm. Coordinator
Why the hell would that be a good thing? I will never, ever understand what the fascination with the love life of the main characters is. Can be just me, but seriously, Korra and Asami? Dude... o_0

don't be a ship hater

Seriously, though, I am a huge shipper. I love me some romance. It's fine if you don't care for romance, but don't rain on others' parades.

Terminus

If I was a wizard this wouldn't be happening to me
Shipping isn't a problem. It's self-righteous shippers who act as if their ship is canon and ruin it for literally everyone (every fandom has this, but the Johnlocke Shippers from the BBC Sherlock fandom are the prime example).

Mask-Salesman

don't be a ship hater

Seriously, though, I am a huge shipper. I love me some romance. It's fine if you don't care for romance, but don't rain on others' parades.

I'm not training to rain on your parade mate, sorry if it came out that way.

My point was that I find ATLA and Korra series where romance doesn't have a place. I hated that Korra/Mako/Asami triangle in the previous seasons. The great thing about last season was that there was almost no awkward love triangles in it.

Azure Sage

March onward forever...
Staff member
ZD Legend
Comm. Coordinator
I'm not training to rain on your parade mate, sorry if it came out that way.

My point was that I find ATLA and Korra series where romance doesn't have a place. I hated that Korra/Mako/Asami triangle in the previous seasons. The great thing about last season was that there was almost no awkward love triangles in it.

I getcha. Though, The Last Airbender had a fair amount of romance, what with Aang being constantly infatuated with Katara throughout the whole thing. And I agree about the love triangle, that was kinda lame lol. (Mostly because I don't really like Mako with Korra. Glad he's over that awkwardness now, though.)

Mask-Salesman

So, what do you guys think of the upcoming event? Mercedes kinda predicted it. THE ULTIMATE SHOWDOWN!

In the blue corner we have Kuvira. Young, in the prime of her life, extremely capable with earth- and metalbending. Agile, fast, much endurance. In the red corner there is Toph however, who might be the greatest (non-Avatar) earth bender in the history of the Avatar universe! Older, wiser, more experienced.

Who will win this epic fight?

Zorth

#Scoundrel
So, what do you guys think of the upcoming event? Mercedes kinda predicted it. THE ULTIMATE SHOWDOWN!

In the blue corner we have Kuvira. Young, in the prime of her life, extremely capable with earth- and metalbending. Agile, fast, much endurance. In the red corner there is Toph however, who might be the greatest (non-Avatar) earth bender in the history of the Avatar universe! Older, wiser, more experienced.

Who will win this epic fight?

If Toph doesn't wipe the floor with Kuvira I will be really disappointed in the writers, and if they want to make up for that epic failure that Korra managed to pull off last episode I won't be satisfied with anything less than Korra crushing Kuvira's entire army by just blowing at it. But from what I've seen so far I wouldn't be surprised if Toph gets beaten badly and Korra has to get into the avatar state with the help of 99% of the good guys just to barely beat Kuvira. #yolo #rekt

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom