• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Least Favorite Zelda Game

What is your least favorite Zelda game?

• The Legend of Zelda

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Zelda II

• A Link to the Past

• Link's Awakening

• Ocarina of Time

• Majora's Mask

• Oracle of Seaons

• Oracle of Ages

• Four Swords

• Wind Waker

• Four Swords Adventures

• Minish Cap

• Twighlight Princess

• Phantom Hourglass

• Spirit Tracks

• Skyward Sword

• Undecided

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
So to the two people who voted for AoL...
Care to explain your choices? I feel like the only person who appreciates the game, so it'd be nice to see a rationalization for all the hate the game gets.

DarkestLink

Darkest of all Dark Links
So to the two people who voted for AoL...
Care to explain your choices? I feel like the only person who appreciates the game, so it'd be nice to see a rationalization for all the hate the game gets.

I found the combat boring, the puzzles nonexistent, and while the challenge was welcome, the game felt more like an attempt to troll the player than challenge them. The only way I could see this game being even remotely playable is with an emulator and a crap load of save states.

HylianHero

Gardener of Elysium
The MM vote was almost certainly made by someone who can't grasp the dark visuals, complex and deep storylines, and the simple concept of mixing involvement and emotion into a Zelda game.

Did you really just make a poll asking people to pick their least favorite Zelda game and then criticize them for their choice? If you don't want to hear people's opinions then don't make a poll like this. What you just said makes me want to change my vote to MM if I could. And MM was one of my favorite games.

Vanessa28

Angel of Darkness
Staff member
ZD Legend
Administrator
What surprise me is how people here are questioning someone's choice for a game they don't like as much as others do. Do we really need to do this all the time? If someone doesn't like a game for whatever reason it's their opinion and not ours. I can understand you like to hear solid reasons of course but still it's an opinion. I wish you guys would stop arguing on and on and on about things like this. Is it so hard to simply accept it without going through every single post and react and tell the poster is wrong or something? That's what REALLY annoys me. Thanks.

I think the ihateghirahim (I enjoy reading your posts) post was aimed at me, I did the first MM vote yesturday. I was going to write up a small post afterwards but had to go out.

I understand MM's story and style completely but it doesn't mean I have to like it. I enjoy AoL yet it gets hammered on here, we all have our own preferences.

Spoilers ahead.

I recently tried another playthrough of MM to get into it as it seems to be so popular on here but I can never get into it and enjoy it, I've lost interest in the game again just after learning the song to get into the Great Bay Temple.

As far as playing goes the main problem for me has always been the three day cycle, it makes me rushed so I lose the freedom that I enjoy so much in other Zelda games. When I play Zelda games I like to take my time and roam around freely looking for secrets, with the three day cycle I feel rushed to complete the temples and clear certain areas (eg like collecting eggs in the Pirates Fortress and in the underwater caves at Pinnacle Rock). If these aren't done before three days are finished you have to do the whole thing again, on my first playthrough of MM I had to repeat some sections several times because I didn't know the size and scale of the tasks until I got too far involved. I found this repetition frustrating and tedious.
I lost count on how many cycles I went through to complete the Kafei and Anju sidequest.

I found the three day cycle was like trying to pick a combination lock, you had to talk to people or complete a task at a certains time on a particular day or night. For me this meant endless waiting around in certain areas for someone to come along or for something to happen, I don't know how many hours I spent waiting around or looking in areas only for nothing to happen.
These issues aren't a problem on your second playthrough or if you've decided to use a walkthrough but by then you already know what to expect so there is no surprise or sense of achievement.

Another thing I didn't like with the three day cycle was once you've saved and returned to the first day everything is reset, I felt like I lost a sense of achievement everytime a side quest was reset or if an area was returned to it's previous state (eg Southern Swamp returning to it's poisonous state. Also we lose items like arrows and bombs etc that need to be recollected before we continue on.

Here are some other things that put me off MM:

- The game is too heavily side quest focussed for me, I've always been a fan of a long mainquest with lots of dungeons.

- MM only had four temples with Stone Tower Temple being the only one I enjoyed. I found Woodfall and Snowhead a bit boring and the controls while being a Zora were very fiddly in the Great Bay Temple.
There was also no big finale temple or castle before you got to have a scrap with Majora. Instead you just waited for time to pass by before climbing up clock tower and confronting Majora, that felt anti climatic to me.

- Items collected in the temples. One of the things I love in Zelda is collecting a new item in each dungeon, it's like getting a new toy but in MM they spoiled it by putting the three arrows in the Snowhead/Great Bay and Stone Tower Temples. As soon as I got the fire arrows in Snowhead I knew what to expect in the next temples.

- I loved Epona in Oot but her use in MM was weird. She was part of an emotional opening to MM and was kind of stolen (despite being told in Oot that she won't let anyone near her unless you call her with Eponas song). After you've been turned into a Deku you chase after her which for me set the tone of the game, I was desperate to get her back off the skull kid but in the end she's found locked in stables with a girl who somehow knows her song.......what?? (maybe someone here can clear this up for me.)
Apart from using her to get into Great Bay I didn't really have a proper use for her, we had the Bunny Hood, Warp song and Gorons Mask which were other ways to travel.

- Collecting masks instead of items. I didn't enjoy collecting bulk masks instead of items, they just weren't my thing.

- My favorite all time Zelda item is the mirror shield but the horrible face that was on it in MM ruined it for me.

Those are my thoughts, I have respect for MM and it has a strong following here plus theres Operation Moonfall, it's just not my thing.

I like Darkest Links sig and it sums it up well "Welcome to the internet, where stating your opinion is a declaration of war."

Last edited:

DarkestLink

Darkest of all Dark Links
@Moo22

You make a lot of valid points...in fact, if you talked to me after initially playing the game, I would have agreed 100% with you. To me, MM is like tWW in that aspect: The first playthrough is a living hell. I've really hoped around with my opinion towards the game. First time I beat it, I hated it for all the same reasons you do. But since OoT was so great, I decided to play it again. Since I knew everything and how to avoid the irritating parts, it was much better. By the time the 3rd playthrough came around, it was my favorite. 20 or so playthroughs later, it dropped below OoT but above Wind Waker. Now that I've seen some of its cultist fanboys, I consider it very overrated, but still roughly in the same position as before.

I play the hell out of Zelda games and it's been so long that I completely forgot what it was like the first time....

I would have to say WW and PH are my least favorites. To be fair, I have not completed either of these games, so perhaps I just missed something.

My favorite element of The Legend of Zelda is exploration. Going from point A to point B while running into a countless number of enemies, caves, characters, and so forth. That being said, the amount of sailing in what felt like an endless ocean in WW and PH just wasn't for me. No caves, no forests, no beautiful landscapes. I prefer to walk across Hyrule.

Just my thoughts.

E

evoxpisces

It's a tie between Phantom Hourglass and SKyward Sword. I've played through just about the entire Phantom Hourglass and just felt like I was forcing myself the whole time. I hated the central dungeon, I hated the controls, I hated the dungeons...just really disliked the game a lot. Skyward Sword I only played about 3 hours in and it really just did not hold my interest. I think a lot has to do with the controls. I hate motion controls. But I'll say my least favorite is Phantom Hourglass because I think if I play Skyward Sword further in I might actually start to enjoy it.

I think the ihateghirahim (I enjoy reading your posts) post was aimed at me, I did the first MM vote yesturday. I was going to write up a small post afterwards but had to go out.

I understand MM's story and style completely but it doesn't mean I have to like it. I enjoy AoL yet it gets hammered on here, we all have our own preferences.

Spoilers ahead.

I recently tried another playthrough of MM to get into it as it seems to be so popular on here but I can never get into it and enjoy it, I've lost interest in the game again just after learning the song to get into the Great Bay Temple.

As far as playing goes the main problem for me has always been the three day cycle, it makes me rushed so I lose the freedom that I enjoy so much in other Zelda games. When I play Zelda games I like to take my time and roam around freely looking for secrets, with the three day cycle I feel rushed to complete the temples and clear certain areas (eg like collecting eggs in the Pirates Fortress and in the underwater caves at Pinnacle Rock). If these aren't done before three days are finished you have to do the whole thing again, on my first playthrough of MM I had to repeat some sections several times because I didn't know the size and scale of the tasks until I got too far involved. I found this repetition frustrating and tedious.
I lost count on how many cycles I went through to complete the Kafei and Anju sidequest.

I found the three day cycle was like trying to pick a combination lock, you had to talk to people or complete a task at a certains time on a particular day or night. For me this meant endless waiting around in certain areas for someone to come along or for something to happen, I don't know how many hours I spent waiting around or looking in areas only for nothing to happen.
These issues aren't a problem on your second playthrough or if you've decided to use a walkthrough but by then you already know what to expect so there is no surprise or sense of achievement.

Another thing I didn't like with the three day cycle was once you've saved and returned to the first day everything is reset, I felt like I lost a sense of achievement everytime a side quest was reset or if an area was returned to it's previous state (eg Southern Swamp returning to it's poisonous state. Also we lose items like arrows and bombs etc that need to be recollected before we continue on.

Here are some other things that put me off MM:

- The game is too heavily side quest focussed for me, I've always been a fan of a long mainquest with lots of dungeons.

- MM only had four temples with Stone Tower Temple being the only one I enjoyed. I found Woodfall and Snowhead a bit boring and the controls while being a Zora were very fiddly in the Great Bay Temple.
There was also no big finale temple or castle before you got to have a scrap with Majora. Instead you just waited for time to pass by before climbing up clock tower and confronting Majora, that felt anti climatic to me.

- Items collected in the temples. One of the things I love in Zelda is collecting a new item in each dungeon, it's like getting a new toy but in MM they spoiled it by putting the three arrows in the Snowhead/Great Bay and Stone Tower Temples. As soon as I got the fire arrows in Snowhead I knew what to expect in the next temples.

- I loved Epona in Oot but her use in MM was weird. She was part of an emotional opening to MM and was kind of stolen (despite being told in Oot that she won't let anyone near her unless you call her with Eponas song). After you've been turned into a Deku you chase after her which for me set the tone of the game, I was desperate to get her back off the skull kid but in the end she's found locked in stables with a girl who somehow knows her song.......what?? (maybe someone here can clear this up for me.)
Apart from using her to get into Great Bay I didn't really have a proper use for her, we had the Bunny Hood, Warp song and Gorons Mask which were other ways to travel.

- Collecting masks instead of items. I didn't enjoy collecting bulk masks instead of items, they just weren't my thing.

- My favorite all time Zelda item is the mirror shield but the horrible face that was on it in MM ruined it for me.

Those are my thoughts, I have respect for MM and it has a strong following here plus theres Operation Moonfall, it's just not my thing.

I like Darkest Links sig and it sums it up well "Welcome to the internet, where stating your opinion is a declaration of war."

Bro, you just read my mind on MM!

Lamentizer

Skeleton Of The Darkness
My least favorite is...hmmm...hmmm...hmmm...hmmm...
[several hours of "hmmm..." later]
hmmm...hmmm...hmmm...let's see...hmmm...it would be the CD-i games (if they even deserve to have the title "game").

Mercedes

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Not that hard of a question, Zelda 2. I know it gets a lot of hate and it's not a particularly bad game, but, of all the Zelda's I've played, this was my least favourite. I first tried it with that Collecter's Edition on Gamecube, which had LoZ 1, 2, Oot and MM. And, yeah, I didn't really like the change all that much. Sorry Zelda 2. :(

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom