• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Least Favorite Zelda Game

What is your least favorite Zelda game?

• The Legend of Zelda

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Zelda II

• A Link to the Past

• Link's Awakening

• Ocarina of Time

• Majora's Mask

• Oracle of Seaons

• Oracle of Ages

• Four Swords

• Wind Waker

• Four Swords Adventures

• Minish Cap

• Twighlight Princess

• Phantom Hourglass

• Spirit Tracks

• Skyward Sword

• Undecided

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Sir Quaffler

May we meet again
Hate is indeed a strong word, and that's exactly why I'm using it here.

I HATE ZELDA 2: ADVENTURE OF LINK.

I tried to temper this opinion down by saying "It's a Zelda game, even the worst Zelda game's gotta be good in some respects, right?" And for every other game in the series that I didn't particularly care for I can find at least something that I like. I did like OoS's season-changing mechanic, even though I didn't really like the other aspects of it too much. Same with OoA's time-shifting mechanic, even if it has been done to death. I have no strong opinion of FS or FSA adventure, having not played them myself, but at least I can see the appeal in them. PH was pretty boring, but there were still moments here and there that I liked. I refuse to even acknowledge the existence of the CD-i games, so they don't factor in at all. And even with the first Zelda I can see and appreciate the foundations upon which the rest of the series was built upon.

Not so with Zelda 2 (except for the music, but I'll get to that). This is one the most mind-numbing, difficulty-ramping, convoluted, and flat-out BORING games I've ever played. Sure I can spend a dozen hours or so learning the ins and outs of the finicky fighting and magic systems and scouring every pixelated rock and blade of grass for some secret, but why would I do that when I can be doing literally ANYTHING else?

The RPG elements they used felt too out of place for the series. Yeah I know it was only the 2nd in the series and that the formula wasn't really founded, but since every other Zelda game's format was based off of the 1st and 3rd games respectively (except for FS and FSA, but since I haven't played either I have no real opinions on those) I feel justified in my hate towards these elements used.

This game is just too difficult. No way around it. And not just in the fact that the enemies take a lot of hits and require you to attack them in certain manners with ungodly timing. The layout of the game is just all over the place. The dungeons are too repetitive, long, and convoluted. The towns are wholly uninteresting (ok maybe except for the "healers", I'll admit that's kinda awesome). It takes way too long to figure out what to even do. Some people like this kind of bad conveyance (or "exploration" as they would call it) in a game, but I absolutely hate it. Mind you, I don't like having my answers handed to me on a platter just like any other Zelda fan doesn't, but this is just stupid. How the heck was I supposed to know to go to that far-out abandoned village and cast that undefined "spell" spell in that random spot? What about anything in the game would give me any indication that I would need to do that? Why would I ever go to talk to Error when all he ever said before was "I AM ERROR" and nothing else about him gave any indication that he would be important later on?

I don't like to harp on graphics, since I'm much more a fan of the stories and gameplay mechanics of a game, but when the story is so bare-bones and the gameplay is so frustratingly hard I can't help but notice. They're bad. Like, really bad. I think it's well known by now that I have no love for NES graphics, and it's too hard for me to play games that utilize 8-bit graphics.

Now's the part where I look like a hypocrite; the music is actually not bad. For its time, it's actually pretty well done. My disdain for 8-bit graphics does not carry over to 8-bit soundtracks, and these are pretty good. Especially the Palace theme it's so catchy, and I love the Melee remix of it.

I normally try to keep my posts very level-headed and thought-out, and even when there's a topic I strongly disagree with I keep things civil. But the seething rage I feel for this game overwhelms this, and I regret nothing I have said.

Skywaker

Cheese & bacon potato
I necessarily don't hate a Zelda game, but honestly, I would say AoL...but I'm not done it anyway...all of the other Zelda games I've played don't bother me at all.

TheRizardon

poog tnalp yknuhc
The Legend Of Zelda 1. I don't hate this game but I don't like it it's just way to confusing without a guide. I don't see how i'm supposed to know where level 1 is.

I would have to say A Link to the Past because of its difficulty. It's not as hard as Zeldas 1 or 2, but it was enough to make me tear my hair out. I died a total of 93 times throughout my first playthrough, most of those coming from the Skull Woods, Ice Palace, or Ganon's Tower. I'm not saying it's a bad game by any means - far from it, I'm just saying that it's the Zelda game I enjoy the least.

r2d93

Hero of the Stars
I don't hate Zelda games. But out of the ones I have played, my least favorite are probably Legend of Zelda, Phantom Hourglass, and Oracle of seasons.

Legend of Zelda i'll have to play again sometime not on an emulator, but I just hate that you start in the same spot everytime, and I hate that you have virtually 0 clues as to where to go next.

Phantom Hourglass got a bit boring. The way of sailing was supposed to fix the WW sailing when, honestly, I thought WW sailing was waaay more fun than setting a predetermined path. Plus the Temple of the Ocean King SUCKS

OoS. Weird that I can dislike it more than OoA? wrong, not weird. OoS was one of the first Zelda games i ever played and as a kid all I remember is starting it up, going to subrosia for the 2nd or 3rd time, getting the rod of seasons, and then totally losing interest. I can NOT play this game for more than maybe an hour at a time. Plus i thought taht changing the seasons was a bad gimmick and confused me somtimes

TrueChaos

Defender of Hyrule
I don't hate any but I've not been able to make it through Zelda II. Tried twice but gave up through boredom.

TheRizardon

poog tnalp yknuhc
My least favorite Zelda game is LoZ.
Yes the first Zelda game. It just doesn't tell you where anything is or where you need to go next without even a hint. Would not recommend.

Ghirahimiscool

Cucco Butt
My least favorite Zelda game would have to be The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening. Its really hard and I haven't even finished it yet! I'm stuck on Angler's Tunnel. Its so hard...
I wish it was easier. Thats why its my least favorite Zelda game, because its so hard and kinda boring.

B

ButterBaker

I like 'em all, but my least favorites are Twilight Princess and Spirit Tracks.

Twilight Princess tries to hard to be dark and gloomy. Midna is kind of annoying and the controls on the Wii are pretty bad.

Spirit Tracks, I could never get past the first part with the flute. So I can't really say much, other than it's not fun.

Z

Zeldakinz

My least favorite Zelda game is AoL. It's like..completely different from the other Zelda games. Don't get me wrong, I like it but..it's just my least favorite. I didn't enjoy it as much as I did the other ones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom