• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

General Modern Least Favorite Dungeon Out of All 3D Zelda Games

skywardsword13

Dawn of the Final Day
It's fine that you don't like it, but I completely don't understand how you can say the mini-boss was insanely easy for one of the final dungeons. The mini-boss of the fourth dungeon is just a slightly harder version of the mini-boss from the first dungeon so that's not difficult, the first mini-boss of the sixth dungeon literally can be beaten in 10 seconds if you can pour water on both magma hands at once, the second mini-boss of the sixth dungeon (underground snake thing) I'll admit was more difficult than the Sandship's mini-boss, and the seventh dungeon reuses the Sandship's mini-boss probably because the designers thought it was one of the hardest in the game. I'm not saying it's hard, but I am saying that relative to the other mini-bosses in the game that the Sandship's mini-boss was one of the harder ones. The entire game was relatively easy compared to some other games in the series, but I wouldn't single out that mini-boss at least from my experience.

I didn't care for the robots at all either so I never went to talk to them; just because the game directs you to go down to the prison cell just to talk to them doesn't mean you have to (you still have to rescue them for the key but that's it). Everything else is just difference of opinion. I think a pirate ship is more epic and exciting than the traditional dungeon. It even had a treasure room, and the part between the boss room and the actual boss was just awesome IMO.

I feel the same way about pretty much all of Wind Waker's dungeons but especially the Wind Temple. The music doesn't bother me, but there's just something about those dungeons that doesn't appeal to me.

I think it's very interesting how not everyone agrees about what dungeons are the most enjoyable. TheWind didn't like the Forest Temple, and that's a common pick for people's all time favorite dungeon from what I've seen. Also we've had three people express dislike for the Sandship and it got 31/106 votes in the favorite Skyward Sword dungeon poll putting it one vote away from tying for first (http://zeldadungeon.net/forum/showthread.php?26186-Favorite-Skyward-Sword-Dungeon). I expected that dungeons that are commonly loved wouldn't be near the bottom of the list for anyone but I was wrong, very interesting topic.

Sandship was my favorite dungeon of Skyward Sword, and one of my favorite dungeons of all time. I thought just that fact that you were on a ship and in a dungeon was so original and I always wanted something like that. I don't fully understand why people say it was bland when you were on a frikin ship! but thats their opinion i guess. What really made it my favorite was when i was standing on the highest mast, i looked out and saw the creativity of the level, and the sea of sand merging w/ the actual water of the past. I was mind blown. I say the only boring/unoriginal/bland part of the dungeon was the dungeon map, because it was laid out unlike the previous dungeons, like a traditional zelda dungeon. but when you looked at the actual gameplay of the level, i didn't really see much that because of the way it was on the ship. i thought they did that well.

I have to say my least favorite dungeon of he 3d zelda's is the palace of twilight in TP cuz i felt like it was short, boring, and i feel like they threw it in there quickly to add another dungeon. i think they couldve made the 2nd to last dungeon harder and longer. i think it was an overall disappiontment of a dungeon

B

Belvin

Belvin's Top 3 Hated Dungeons:

3. Jabu Jabu's Belly from OOT

WHY? It's in the belly of a friggin' fish. Princess Ruto, the fat spoiled brat who wants you to carry her stupid naked fish body, and then sexually harasses you. AND the dungeon has disgusting phallic "slimy tails" (slimy tails, my behind). AND its mini-boss is stupid hard when you only have 5 hearts. And holes in the ground. And...just about everything there is in Jabu Jabu...except the boss. Which is, indeed, cool.

2. (I know it's not a 3D, but who cares...) Skeleton Forest from ALTTP (3rd in Dark World).

WHY? "Where the hell am I?" "These mummies WON'T DIE!!!" "There's no order to this place, I feel like a lost child at a Walmart in the creepy part of town!" "I just got my a$$ handed to me by the boss, with his conveyer belt of spiked death, and now I'm stuck in the woods with NO FREAKIN' HEARTS!"

1. Lakebed Temple - TP

WHY? Pull a switch. Move the water. Move a switch. Raise the water. Pull a switch. Jump in the water. (and on and on and on and on and on)

MW7

2. (I know it's not a 3D, but who cares...) Skeleton Forest from ALTTP (3rd in Dark World).

WHY? "Where the hell am I?" "These mummies WON'T DIE!!!" "There's no order to this place, I feel like a lost child at a Walmart in the creepy part of town!" "I just got my a$$ handed to me by the boss, with his conveyer belt of spiked death, and now I'm stuck in the woods with NO FREAKIN' HEARTS!"

First of all I love that you note that you're aware that the thread is 3d games. Secondly, great quotes- that pretty much sums up the dungeon. Thirdly, I absolutely love the dungeon for all the reasons that you hate it: I love how utterly confusing it is and how the boss is difficult because of how unfairly designed the boss room is. A person's first playthrough of this dungeon plays out like the game's attempt to completely discourage the player from ever playing the game again. I love difficulty and nonlinearity and that's why I love the dungeon. Please note that not a single word of this post is sarcastic and I genuinely thought your comments were spot on.

B

Belvin

Please note that not a single word of this post is sarcastic and I genuinely thought your comments were spot on.

Thanks. :-)

A number of posters have picked the Palace of Twilight from TP, mostly citing its brevity and "cheap" design (<-- not an actual quote). Is the PoT really that short/cheap? The dungeon is actually quite involved. Two puzzle sections that include a mini-boss and the creature-of-your-nightmares Hand of Zant; two challenging ascents involving disappearing platforms; and the a multi-layered boss fight that is harder than Demise in SS. If any dungeon was cheap, it was the Forest Temple. If any dungeon was short, it was Hyrule Castle.

And that reminds me -- Nintendo still has yet to REALLY create a "Final Dungeon" that truly tests the player in a 3D game. Maybe those should be most hated. I mean, think about it:

1. OOT - Ganon's Castle: re-hashes of each temple...sort of, only with the tedious feeling that "I've already done this before, can we move on..."
2. MM - The Moon: brilliant metaphor, horrible "temple".
3. WW - Ganon's Tower: Okay, this one was okay, but still, filled with re-hashes.
4. TP - Hyrule Castle: What a pretty castle -- oh, wait, the GOD OF EVIL lives there! Why were all the statues (except the goddesses up top) still whole, the walls not ripped down, the gardens not burning to roast Ganon's marshmallows? Lame.
5. SS - Skykeep: Great idea - but limited in its execution (much like all of SS). It eventually reminded me of trying to solve the same kind of puzzle as a kid, getting pissed and quitting. Except I didn't quit, I beat the dungeon pretty quickly, and then cured cancer after a quick nap.

You know which Final Dungeon is really awesome (not counting the ball-breaking original)?

The one for ALTTP! Isn't it like 72-stories tall? With a boss rush that would make Mega Man soil himself? Maybe I'm exaggerating. But this Ganon's Tower is unrivaled in challenge, excitement, and testing the player. Step it up, Nintendo!

Does Phantom Hourglass count as 3D, or 2D?
Either way, my least fav 3D dungeon (if it counts as a dungeon) is the bottom of the well on OOT. Highly annoying, and dull to top it off.
If mini-dungeons are excluded, then my least favourite REGULAR dungeon would have to be the palace of twilight (TP), followed by the great bay temple (MM) purely for it's difficulty

Last edited:

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
Forest Temple (TP), all dungeons minus Sandship (SS) and Jabu Jabu's (MQ).

Forest Temple was unlikeable for me because it was too easy. I realize Nintendo loves Ocarina, but if you want to throwback to an earlier game, do it properly! The forest temple of yonder days was hard, confusing and scary! The forest temple of today is a joke, linear and...adventurous? What business is this?

All dungeons in SS were laughably easy IMO with the exception of Sky Keep. They're easier than Inside the Deku Tree, which disappoints me to no end. Nintendo didn't even try with these dungeons. Now, Sky Keep being the exception, let's talk about that. The dungeon's main puzzle is the moveable tiles, which tada moves the rooms around. I've experienced many moveable room-type puzzles in my history of video gaming, Sphere 211 (SO3) and Castle (RE4) just to name two. Bad part is I suck at those kinds of puzzles. Sky Keep gave me a run for my money and I even wanted to use a walkthrough to beat it, but luckily I figured it out before things became too drastic.

Jabu Jabu's (MQ) confuses the heck out of me. It's not ALL that bad, but the tongues and the cows and the floors and the placement just bewilders me almost everytime I play through it!

N

nero8289

My least favorite i would say probably the wind temple in ww,not sure why I just found it annoying. I also was not a big fan of the fire sanctuary in ss only because I was very disappointed in the boss.

MW7

A number of posters have picked the Palace of Twilight from TP, mostly citing its brevity and "cheap" design (<-- not an actual quote). Is the PoT really that short/cheap? The dungeon is actually quite involved. Two puzzle sections that include a mini-boss and the creature-of-your-nightmares Hand of Zant; two challenging ascents involving disappearing platforms; and the a multi-layered boss fight that is harder than Demise in SS. If any dungeon was cheap, it was the Forest Temple. If any dungeon was short, it was Hyrule Castle.
Maybe it sticks out because it's after the ridiculously long City in the Sky. Most dungeons would seem short after that.

And that reminds me -- Nintendo still has yet to REALLY create a "Final Dungeon" that truly tests the player in a 3D game. Maybe those should be most hated. I mean, think about it:

1. OOT - Ganon's Castle: re-hashes of each temple...sort of, only with the tedious feeling that "I've already done this before, can we move on..."
2. MM - The Moon: brilliant metaphor, horrible "temple".
3. WW - Ganon's Tower: Okay, this one was okay, but still, filled with re-hashes.
4. TP - Hyrule Castle: What a pretty castle -- oh, wait, the GOD OF EVIL lives there! Why were all the statues (except the goddesses up top) still whole, the walls not ripped down, the gardens not burning to roast Ganon's marshmallows? Lame.
5. SS - Skykeep: Great idea - but limited in its execution (much like all of SS). It eventually reminded me of trying to solve the same kind of puzzle as a kid, getting pissed and quitting. Except I didn't quit, I beat the dungeon pretty quickly, and then cured cancer after a quick nap.

You know which Final Dungeon is really awesome (not counting the ball-breaking original)?

The one for ALTTP! Isn't it like 72-stories tall? With a boss rush that would make Mega Man soil himself? Maybe I'm exaggerating. But this Ganon's Tower is unrivaled in challenge, excitement, and testing the player. Step it up, Nintendo!
Couldn't agree more (it's even in my signature at #4 for favorite dungeons). That dungeon had 61 rooms (I counted out of a guide once), and the basement alone takes longer than most dungeons in the series. The one complaint I have about Wind Waker's was length because it almost felt like a pure boss rush since the segments between were short. In Ganon's Tower (ALTTP) the bosses were very spread out, and the dungeon itself was really challenging.

I doubt we'll see somthing like it again though because the games are getting easier and more geared towards first time players (it doesn't just seem that way because people like you or me are more experienced, I'm almost positive everything's actually easier). A true gauntlet like Ganon's Tower will never be seen again I think. Honestly with the way things are going, I doubt we'll even be able to carry more than one key at a time ever again because Nintendo thinks that will confuse players too much. Too be fair though I did have a friend from grade school who got stuck in the Water Temple nine years ago and still hasn't finished it. I think it's pointless to make the games easy because nowadays a lot of people just look up stuff in a guide when they get stuck.

Last edited:

fused_shadows

Brave Knight of Truth
I hated City in the Sky from Twilight Princess. Everytime I replay that game I love to do everyother dungeon because they have awesome designs and bosses. The City in the Sky was simply annoying and had a boring boss that had an IQ of -46.

Zarom

The King
My least favorite dungeon would either be the Lakebed Temple or the City in the Sky from TP. But I tend to lean more towards the City in the Sky. I just didn't like the layout very much, and the way it was designed. The mini-boss wasn't particularly fun to fight and the battle with the boss was easy and tedious.

H

Howl

Woodfall Temple from Majora's Mask. It was ugly, had terrible music, and just makes me feel unhappy because the first dungeon is the only part of Majora's Mask that I don't like.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom