• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

learning how to use your non dominate hands

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
Hello

Did you ever learned how to use your non dominate hands? I can barely write any manuscript with my right hand, but I am slowly learning to master t he trade. Picking things up with my left hand is also alien to me. It's like half my brain is paralyzed haha, I'm an idiot. So what about you guys? Where to learn a non hand

Jamie

Till the roof comes off, till the lights go out...
trans-pan-demi-ethno-christian-math-autis-genderfluid-cheesecake
Lots of basketball players spend entire summers and such doing everything with their left hand, to learn how to be ambidextrous. A particularly strange case is Tristan Thompson, who is left handed and has always been left handed but taught himself to shoot right handed in his third year in the NBA. He played highschool ball left handed. He played college ball left handed. He became a top 10 draft pick by being left handed. He played 2 years of pro ball as a very talented NBA player, starting many games, left handed. And then he switched hands, due to someone pointing out he looks more comfortable with his right during an off-hand shooting competition.

I can only surmise that with enough work, learning to be ambidextrous is a very doable task. I've thought of doing it before but I don't want to look like a grade A ****** for 6 months.

7a5bde244c.jpg

Real talk though. it sounds like you have cross-dominance like I do. I favor my right hand for certain tasks and my left hand for others. But those tasks aren't entirely something I can interchange between hands to the full functionality that a true ambidextrous person could. Do I try to hone skills with my opposing hand? Yeah, sometimes. idk

Mido

Version 1
At most, I've played around with trying to write with my left hand, but never quite attempted to solidify the skill. Strangely enough when I did, I happened to write in the "correct" way as far as holding a writing utensil is concerned as opposed to the unorthodox way I wrote with my dominant right hand.

If anything, the closest thing I've done in terms of mastering non-dominant skills is through fighting stances. Through practicing martial arts over the years, we often made sure to practice techniques with both hands/legs. Having the luxury of being able to adapt to orthodox and southpaw fighting stances is a skill akin to ambidextrous skill, even if stance involves more than just the hands and depending on the case, is less focused on particulars.

Lots of basketball players spend entire summers and such doing everything with their left hand, to learn how to be ambidextrous. A particularly strange case is Tristan Thompson, who is left handed and has always been left handed but taught himself to shoot right handed in his third year in the NBA. He played highschool ball left handed. He played college ball left handed. He became a top 10 draft pick by being left handed. He played 2 years of pro ball as a very talented NBA player, starting many games, left handed. And then he switched hands, due to someone pointing out he looks more comfortable with his right during an off-hand shooting competition.

This was really interesting to read. I did not know that about Tristan Thompson! It's especially interesting that he developed the skill during his NBA career during a time the Cavs were still in rebuilding.

Jamie

Till the roof comes off, till the lights go out...
trans-pan-demi-ethno-christian-math-autis-genderfluid-cheesecake
At most, I've played around with trying to write with my left hand, but never quite attempted to solidify the skill. Strangely enough when I did, I happened to write in the "correct" way as far as holding a writing utensil is concerned as opposed to the unorthodox way I wrote with my dominant right hand.

If anything, the closest thing I've done in terms of mastering non-dominant skills is through fighting stances. Through practicing martial arts over the years, we often made sure to practice techniques with both hands/legs. Having the luxury of being able to adapt to orthodox and southpaw fighting stances is a skill akin to ambidextrous skill, even if stance involves more than just the hands and depending on the case, is less focused on particulars.

This was really interesting to read. I did not know that about Tristan Thompson! It's especially interesting that he developed the skill during his NBA career during a time the Cavs were still in rebuilding.
It's incredible that he changed his shooting hand over a summer and actually improved offensively as a result.

pyjamas5189

Secretly a cat
I am actually ambidextrous and up until the age of 7 I could write perfectly with both hands but I haven't been able to do that for a while I tend to use my right hand for writing but my left for everything else

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom