• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Leap of Faith Games

Spiritual Mask Salesman

CHIMer Dragonborn
Staff member
Comm. Coordinator
Site Staff
Most gamers have probably done this: stared at the selections of games available, you either aren't interested in the first party titles available, have them all already, or just can't afford to drop $50.00 USD or more on this particular trip. So instead you're eyeing the cheaper games, a lot of which are probably from indie developers, and you likely didn't actually intend to buy a game to begin with so you didn't look into the games available. Any purchase is going to be a shot in the dark, but you're already commited to buy something.

The end result varies, sometimes you might end up with a hidden gem, though more often not the purchase ends up being a burn. So, what are some of the best leap of faith games you bought? What was the worst one you ended up with? I'm interested to hear everyone's thoughts!

I've only done this a few of times and it has only worked out for me once, maybe twice.

Some of the games that instantly spring to mind that I've been burnt by in the past are, The Sexy Brutale and Giga Wrecker.

Two that worked out for me were Velocity 2X and Ranko Tsukigime's Longest Day, but Ranko isn't really a game, well, it is, but it is super basic and super short because it came with a bundle of short anime films masquerading as a full game package.

It was weird as **** but I enjoyed the game, it was like a stylish and decent 2D Sonic game.

Last edited:

mαrkαsscoρ

Mr. SidleInYourDMs
ZD Champion
w/o a doubt xenoblade chronicles, the summer after high school I felt like buying a wii game, I had a list of games I was interested in and xenoblade was up there, I've heard of it from around, specifically from cjszero01 and I knew about operation rainfall, but I didn't pay much attention to it, I saw that my local gamestop had it and I decided to go for it, spent most of my money on it [I didn't have a job]

long story short, it became my favorite game of all time and was easily the best impulsive decision I've ever made

twilitfalchion

and thus comes the end of an era
Staff member
Ironically, one of my first leap of faith games was Skyward Sword. I had not really played any Zelda game prior to it, and pre-ordered it completely based on Game Informer's and Nintendo Power's articles. Picked it up in November, loved it, and I've been a Zelda fan ever since.

Spiritual Mask Salesman

CHIMer Dragonborn
Staff member
Comm. Coordinator
Site Staff
I'm having a hard time thinking of a game I bought on a whim and enjoyed atm.

I do remember one that I bought that ended up being really disappointing: The Island of Dr. Frankenstein for Wii. I think I got it for only a few dollars, so I shouldn't have expected much at all, but for whatever reason I figured maybe I'd at least get 10 or 15 hours from this game. I beat it in 3, it was that easy and didn't have any worthwhile side content to add to the gameplay time.

Ronin

There you are! You monsters!
Forum Volunteer
Hollow Knight springs to mind as I'm not the biggest fan of Soulslikes, nor Metroidvanias for that matter due to their inherent backtracking. But I'm ultimately glad about taking the plunge into HK's world simply because the lore is pretty interesting and each area feels unique (if not quite dangerous the deeper in you go). I quite like the razor-sharp precision of the combat, too, particularly when I can time a number of nail bounces just right. Though I haven't gotten around to beating it yet (bigger priorities and all), I can't wait to push towards the end and see what Team Cherry has in store when SilkSong finally gets released.

Ironically, one of my first leap of faith games was Skyward Sword. I had not really played any Zelda game prior to it, and pre-ordered it completely based on Game Informer's and Nintendo Power's articles. Picked it up in November, loved it, and I've been a Zelda fan ever since.

The good news here is that things could only get better for you with the 3D games.

Blaster Master Zero - I am aware that I really liked the NES game. It was really good. However every single game past that, before BMZ was terrible. Woefully terrible. Thus BMZ was a risk. Would it actually be good or just another garbage sequel/remake. Thankfully BMZ is totally amazing. Well work getting if you like the genre. Also Blaster Master Zero 2 is also pretty good in it's own right.

Vostok Inc - I don't know why I bought it back in 2017 on the Switch. It was cheap enough and I wanted something new to play. I had zero information about the game and was ok with sacrificing a few $$ if it was bad. Thankfully it's a really good game. It's basically the cookie clicker genre done well. The writing in the game is hilarious. Also there's no clicking. While the planets auto generate money, you are flying around in your space ship shooting other space ships and listening to the boss of each system taunting you in their own unique way.
I do recommend checking out the demo if this interests you. Just note well, the numbers in the demo are skewed so you can only play the first system. In the full game you can easily play through the whole game with zero hassle.

Fast Racing RMX - I didn't think too much about this game. I just bought it. I liked the F-Zero games. So I thought this would be much of the same. It is but with one major flaw. The good is that RMX is one of the prettiest and smoothest games on the Switch. Plays like a dream. The developers deserve every credit for this. However that one flaw is almost all of the game's content is initally walled off to the player. You have to place top 3 in cups to unlock more cups. Doing so is nearly impossible thus for the average player they will get to experience disappointing little of the game's content. This is coming from me, who was decently good at F-Zero and F-Zero GX.
One flaw ruined the otherwise good work the developers did. Thus I can't recommend this game. Steer clear of it unless you are someone who complains that F-Zero GX is too easy

20XX - After the garbage that was Mega Man 11 I just leaped into this game without thinking. It's a weird concept but it works really well. It's a rogue-like Mega Man game. You get RNG powerups and upgrades throughout each playthrough. The only downside is the boss powers are all terrible. Limited ammo and not that good at all. Also after beating each boss robot you get a choice, to take the boss power or another random RNG powerup. Most times the RNG powerup is better.
Your base weapon can be changed out also for a different one if you get the pickup in game. This makes the character play much differently.
The two initial characters are a Mega Man clone and a Zero saber clone. The other 2 characters you earn are hard to use and specialty characters you get for beating the game at least once.
Also unlike most roge-likes there is 3 difficulty modes. A 3 lives mode, a 1 life mode, and a 1 life mode with optional hard modifiers. The base game is the same though, well the same RNG each time.
Also finally the order in which you do the bosses is RNG. This matters as the first few you choose are easier versions and the last few you choose are harder versions. So based on your character and what powerups you have, you'll choose a different order of the bosses.
Not the hardest rogue-like game out there. I just play it in 3 life mode, zero penalties for doing so. Great game, I really recommend it. Even better on sale for a cheaper price too.

Ni No Kuni 2 - We all know the first game is great. What about the second game? It's got a bad rap but I still picked it up. Just because I could and it was on a great sale price at the time. What did I think of the game? It's not perfect and parts of the game are fundamentally flawed, but overall despite this I really enjoyed it. A great fun game and well worth the time sink.
The flaws? The squad battles just feel like a chore, not because of what they are, they are cool. it's because you have to level each mini squad when you get them. Levelling up your favourite team is boring. It's a totally separate level system to your standard party. Most people just use the initial 4 mini squads and that's it. I picked a mostly ranged set of squads and levelled them up. Zero pointchanging them up because I'd have to level them up doing squad battles over and over. They should have removed levels from the squad battles and just made them all tactical.
Also the DLC is garbage. What it is, is fun, however it's all just RNG loot farming. Doing mini dingeons over and over hoping certain materials drop to craft the better gear required to do the harder DLC mini dungeons. Rinse and repeat. I hard quit the DLC and never finished it because of this.
Past this, the game overall is fun, a nice story and honestly not that bad. Just get it on sale, as I'm not sure it's worth full price anymore.

Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze - As a fan of the DKC Trilogy and after Returns being alright getting Tropical Freeze was a no brainer. I quickly realised that Tropical Freeze is not an amazing game. It's average at best. It's a competent platformer. However all the RARE polish in the Trilogy is absent in Tropical Freeze. I'll keep it short and say Tropical Freeze disappointed me greatly. Apart from the modern graphics in Tropical Freeze which look great, the Trilogy is better in every other way.

DOOM + DOOM 2 - We've all played this decades ago but why this is on the list is I've never owned these on console before. After the issue fixing patches were dropped I jumped at these games. I'm glad I did. They are pretty good chocloate style ports. Not pure vanilla, but do a good job of replicating the vanilla experience, mostly. Add in the fact that you get Plutonia, TNT and Sigil as free downloads. Well you do have to sign up to Bethesda.Net to get them so I guess the price is giving Bethesda your information. You only have to sign in once to download this DLC. You don't have to sign in anything to play any of the content.
Post patches, the only issue still there is Nightmare is not right. It's not fast monsters and cheats are not disabled in it. An issue not fixed based on the BFG edition this port is based on.
As an aside I'm not getting DOOM 3 as that's garbage. I might get DOOM 64 one day as it's not a bad game, just not my favourite DOOM game ever.

I'll stop here and maybe later I'll share some more games.

One game I was set on buying purely on the Nintendo 3DS eShop description was The Lost Town: The Dust, and boy am I glad I did.
https://youtu.be/yHq5cr9ML6M
Despite the simple premise and cliche zombie survival story, not to mention how short it is, it's still the hardest game I've actually beaten. And I just bought this cuz I was browsing the eShop when I was bored out of my mind.

Thomas was Alone is one of those games for me. I love how the game makes me care about a group of 2D shapes. The story is genuinely compelling, the voice over is funny and heartwarming, the music is perfect chiptune minimalism and the gameplay is fun, challenging, and rewarding.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom