• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Last person to post wins

ExLight

why
Forum Volunteer
i thought pokemon sleep was just something they were meming about like that old tumblr post

didnt realize it actually was something that got announced and god it sounds terrifying
it was announced in 2019 I think but game freak suddenly stopped talking about it and everyone assumed it had been cancelled until the last pokemon direct where they reannounced it i think

it's honestly very cool how pokémon has been using its mobile spin offs to promote some important routine stuff to their audience??

Pokémon Smile promoting oral hygiene, Pokémon GO promoting going outside for walks/ socializing, and now Pokémon Sleep seemingly going to promote healthier sleep schedules

it was announced in 2019 I think but game freak suddenly stopped talking about it and everyone assumed it had been cancelled until the last pokemon direct where they reannounced it i think

it's honestly very cool how pokémon has been using its mobile spin offs to promote some important routine stuff to their audience??

Pokémon Smile promoting oral hygiene, Pokémon GO promoting going outside for walks/ socializing, and now Pokémon Sleep seemingly going to promote healthier sleep schedules
im sory... pokemon SMILE??

i mean i guess from one perspective it could be "cool" but... its kind of sad to me that that is the incentive to do things we should be doing anyway... its so dystopian and upsetting to me

i dont want to sleep because its a game? thats...
meh

we should be able to do things without expecting a measurable reward, ,especially something as corny as digital ****? nft adjacent

Chevywolf30

The one and only.
Forum Volunteer
GettyImages-1471101135-1-625x340.jpg

Trucc

ExLight

why
Forum Volunteer
i mean i guess from one perspective it could be "cool" but... its kind of sad to me that that is the incentive to do things we should be doing anyway... its so dystopian and upsetting to me
I mean it's mainly so kids and teens indirectly build healthy habits??

It's not like they'll forever be reliant on **** like Pokémon Smile to brush their teeth lmfao, it's not too different from a cartoon ad teaching it, except it has a more rewardy system

Chevywolf30

The one and only.
Forum Volunteer
I mean it's mainly so kids and teens indirectly build healthy habits??

It's not like they'll forever be reliant on **** like Pokémon Smile to brush their teeth lmfao, it's not too different from a cartoon ad teaching it, except it has a more rewardy system
Why is a reward system needed? Why not just build the habits?

ExLight

why
Forum Volunteer
Why is a reward system needed? Why not just build the habits?
is it not easier to build habits with rewards? it's how most things work, for any animal, including humans

you work a job, you get paid
you study, you get a good grade
you pray and praise God, you go to Heaven

I think the issue here is that it's done indirectly, which can be seen as tricking those people, and it involving predatory capitalism through stuff like microtransactions banking on addictions that might bloom from it, but at its core it's literally something bettering the physical and mental health of most of the users so eh

Chevywolf30

The one and only.
Forum Volunteer
you work a job, you get paid
you study, you get a good grade
Except the reason for doing these things is the reward. You work because you need to earn money to make a living. You study to get good grades as an indicator of learning. You brush your teeth to keep them healthy. And so on and so forth

ExLight

why
Forum Volunteer
yea but some habits are long term rewards, not short term
it's fairly easy for a person to end up dropping or neglecting these small tasks without something to keep them motivated

brushing your teeth or going for a jog won't give you any reward short time, but making it so a game gives you an alternative reward in the meanwhile can help you maintain interest

it's not any different than a teaching program like duolingo that helps develop a daily routine of studies by rewarding in-app points and items

ExLight

why
Forum Volunteer
I'm not sure why it should be wrong for people to seek for help in things through passive reward?

should we be throwing wii games in a bonfire because they also promote physical exercise by rewarding the player with in-game stuff?

ExLight

why
Forum Volunteer
If you're like 5 sure
I've had plenty of friends with pretty severe depression that would often avoid going out or socialize that heavily improved because of pokémon GO and its community, so it definitely has major benefits for teens and young adults too

but yea pokémon smile is particularly aimed at small kids, the point is to make brushing teeth fun so they look forward to it in their everyday
so yea the audience for that is actually kids who are like 5?

Chevywolf30

The one and only.
Forum Volunteer
but yea pokémon smile is particularly aimed at small kids, the point is to make brushing teeth fun so they look forward to it in their everyday
so yea the audience for that is actually kids who are like 5?
Because heaven forbid that parents actually do their job, it's been that way for thousands of years so that must mean that it's obsolete and archaic.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom