• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Last person to post wins

Chevywolf30

The one and only.
Forum Volunteer
Yeah but stuff like blue collar jobs and medical professionals need specialized training. And yes, I know that art school exists but you can make quality art (Be it drawings, animations or what have you) with little to no training, soley on talent alone.

Mikey the Moblin

sushi is a suspicious hello
1 companies need graphic designers to make logos and website layouts for them, improving their revenue and retention
2 cities need art initiatives especially in cities that thrive on tourism markets
3 games and movies and books obviously need a ton of artists
4 humanity needs music to survive, this is indisputable

I want my art to not just be stick figures. I want to do it for people as they requested and to share a bit of myself, what I like, etc.

I’m gonna have to start making my own money soon and doing chores doesn’t make me money and parents shouldn’t give money just for doing standard housework

And you know I don’t wanna do something soul draining, because school is already like that
when you turn 16 you can get an easy going part time job at a movie theater or crafts store or something
it's good to have ambitions for sure but I certainly wouldn't just give up on everything to be an artist, that seems ill-advised

TheGreatCthulhu

Composer of the Night.
I think you're more on the money than I am, too many people try too hard to make it in art instead of a more traditional job so it just gets oversaturated and I see that and invalidate the whole thing :shrugs:
Ah, now I see what you're saying.

And I would agree with the idea that art, by its very nature, leads to an unsteady income because of how artists think. So if one was to pursue art, I definitely agree that they should, and ought, to get a job with a steady income.

It doesn't have to be a trade job or farming, or a corporate job, it just has to be one with a steady income, and even in the arts there are tangential jobs that do offer a steady income.

Basically, pursue art for the passion, is what I'm saying, and while you can have a decades long career doing art and make a nice, steady living with it, you have to understand it isn't owed to you.

At least that's where I stand.

Gorozoron

wild ride
Oh whoop de doo, you've got warm fuzzies from a fulfilling job, good for you. Is anyone else benefitting from your job in a way they couldn't get anywhere else? People can get entertainment from people that don't do it for their job. Same can't be said for stuff like medical care, plumbing, farming, etc...
Yeah, it's these kinds of words that make talking to you about this stuff draining for me. It's just a reminder of how little people actually care for the artist. Every conversation about this kind of stuff feels so... futile, it really wrecks my mood.
I really despise when you say **** like "real jobs" or when you go on some nonsensical rant about how something isn't "respectable" or whatever. It's all so mentally taxing. Can you please try to hear other people out in a convo and maybe not be so sassy during it?

TheGreatCthulhu

Composer of the Night.
But I don’t want a traditional job

I tried working with my mom unloading things for people before and it was draining. I hated it

I don’t think there’s a traditional job that I’d like
Even in art there are jobs that offer a steady income, because the actual art itself will produce an unsteady income, because you never know when inspiration strikes, and sometimes projects can be spontaneous and in the moment, or they can take months to finish, sometimes years depending on the scope. J.R.R Tolkien spent the rest of his life writing LOTR, as an example.

For example, say you want to be a writer. That's a worthwhile goal, but you will need money to buy necessities, and for that reason, you can use your writing skill to be an editor. Then any money you make off of the art itself you can use that to fund and invest in the tools of your trade.

Basically, a career in the arts is like anything else, it's competitive, but moreso in art because you have to offer art that people can only get from you and nowhere else.

For example, I can recognize instantly the difference between Michelangelo and Leonardo da Vinci, because their art is so distinct.

Maybe I just have a different definition of art. When I say art, I mean a skill you've learned that you've mastered and then made your own. It's easy to hear in music, but I think about any skill in this way.

The Chinese call this concept "Gong Fu" which isn't martial arts, necessarily. Ever seen a carpenter drive a nail in with one hammer stroke? That's his art, his gong fu, because that comes with endless practice and experience, and if you were learning from him, there's nothing that carpenter can tell you to drive that nail in with one stroke without the requisite practice and experience.

Anyhow, I'm rambling again. Point being, the art itself is why one pursues a career in the arts, just know what you're getting into and do some research is all I'm saying.

Mikey the Moblin

sushi is a suspicious hello
personally I think if I wanted to seriously pursue art as a career I would have to go to school for it, just because that's a helpful environment for me
graduating from cal arts is also apparently a good way to have a stable career in art lol

maybe I'll go back to school next year

Gorozoron

wild ride
Wdym by this? Just bc he doesn't think it's very viable as a career doesn't mean he doesn't care for the artists..

I don't when he said like "Adult animation shouldn't exist." I guess it be more accurate that I get the feeling he doesn't give two ****s about animation and in turn the artists.
Maybe he does care I won't speak for him but that's the vibe I get personally.
who knows maybe he adores'em, would hug'em on sight.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom