• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Last person to post wins

i need to slog through the rest of tales of berseria too

its not that im not enjoying it but its got that jrpg syndrome and the gameplay loop is just staling faster than the plot is
fortunately i just cleaned out my inventory so hopefully i dont have to do that for awhile when i start back up again

TheGreatCthulhu

Composer of the Night.
How is art entertainment overrated?

It’s a real job

Is me wanting to be an artist for my job not fulfilling? Is being a musician or author as your main job not fulfilling?
Speaking as a musician, let me be real, you definitely want something to supplement the unsteady income.

Here's how I do it, the job I have pays for the important stuff, like bills, car payments, etc., and any money I make off of music gets reinvested back into music via instruments, strings, what have you.

You're essentially forced to be frugal when you decide art is going to be your career.

And here's the frustrating thing, the actual music isn't what makes the money, it's merchandise and ticket sales, at least in my case. Consumers have shown that they'd rather consume music a different way.

I'm not saying you shouldn't pursue art as a career, but just know what you're getting into.

Mikey the Moblin

sushi is a suspicious hello
Speaking as a musician, let me be real, you definitely want something to supplement the unsteady income.

Here's how I do it, the job I have pays for the important stuff, like bills, car payments, etc., and any money I make off of music gets reinvested back into music via instruments, strings, what have you.

You're essentially forced to be frugal when you decide art is going to be your career.
there are ways to make it lucrative, but that usually depends on knowing people and having connections in the right places, not by any virtue of talent or hard work

TheGreatCthulhu

Composer of the Night.
there are ways to make it lucrative, but that usually depends on knowing people and having connections in the right places, not by any virtue of talent or hard work
Oh to be born in the 70's where music was a meritocracy.

That said, artists aren't really pursuing art for the money necessarily anyways, by that, I mean they're just concerned with making art, and we artists don't have the best sense for business and finance, because if we did, we'd have gotten business degrees, lol.

career in the arts is certainly a leap of faith, you have no idea if you are going to be discovered. i reckon its best to assume you wont, not to discourage yourself but to help you arrange your priorities.

most people i know who take art commissions do it to help them make money on top of the money they're already making because they want some extra spending money. but most of their customers are going to be friends, and people they've networked with. and for a lot of people that's where it may end, but for other people it may go further, depending on your connections.

its connections that seem to be the key though and thats beyond just art. my sister's gotten a lot of opportunities that someone with her experience as a medical student wouldnt have gotten because of the connections she's made with doctors who want to mentor her

TheGreatCthulhu

Composer of the Night.
career in the arts is certainly a leap of faith, you have no idea if you are going to be discovered. i reckon its best to assume you wont, not to discourage yourself but to help you arrange your priorities.

most people i know who take art commissions do it to help them make money on top of the money they're already making because they want some extra spending money. but most of their customers are going to be friends, and people they've networked with. and for a lot of people that's where it may end, but for other people it may go further, depending on your connections.

its connections that seem to be the key though and thats beyond just art. my sister's gotten a lot of opportunities that someone with her experience as a medical student wouldnt have gotten because of the connections she's made with doctors who want to mentor her
Facts.

Art is definitely a worthwhile endeavor, and in my mind, no drug can ever replicate the high one gets by creating art, just know, it is a financial leap of faith.

You're basically doing two jobs, one is steady, the other is unsteady and takes way more commitment, at least that's how I view it financially, if I just take the joy of creating art and the art itself out of it.

TheGreatCthulhu

Composer of the Night.
Well as an artist I also mean, and this is also a leap of faith, to so concept art and designs for games, if I could ever work with a dev team
That's definitely a worthwhile goal.

Whatcha wanna do is make that like the big, ultimate goal, and just eliminate the excuses that get in the way, at least that's what my dad taught me.

Success is just eliminating excuses that get in the way of success.

Mikey the Moblin

sushi is a suspicious hello
Well as an artist I also mean, and this is also a leap of faith, to so concept art and designs for games, if I could ever work with a dev team
fun fact: I'm currently volunteering as a concept artist for a fan project simply because nobody else wants to
it's hard and makes me feel inadequate perma

opportunities for concept designs i think are greater in the fact that indie artists and devs are like thriving right now

and indie devs are usually teams of friends, they usually are people who know each other from a mutual interest and find they share a vision for a project. so your odds of being discovered and getting to be a concept artist for an indie team could be relatively high, but then you have to consider the likelihood of the game itself making a profit afterward. for a lot of devs, just getting to work on it is probably part of the pay off but it is nice to get recognition for that work too.

the plus sides of having a smaller following that you do get to be more intimate with your fans though

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom