• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Last person to post wins

The Dashing Darknut

DD, the dashing one
Oh whoop de doo, you've got warm fuzzies from a fulfilling job, good for you. Is anyone else benefitting from your job in a way they couldn't get anywhere else? People can get entertainment from people that don't do it for their job. Same can't be said for stuff like medical care, plumbing, farming, etc...
So, being a video game creator isn’t beneficial, therefore non fulfilling. But we still play them a lot and love them, but since they don’t help why should it be a job?

Same logic applies

Same can't be said for stuff like medical care
i'd just like to add

my sister would disagree

who spent an entire month in tears over not matching for residency because urology was the most competitive this year it ever has been and nothing she brought to the table made her stand out among 700 some other residents

i watched my sister almost give up on her dream because there are 700 other people who had the same skillset as she did, my sister who spent 10 hours a day for an entire year studying her ass off for board exams

Link&Midna

just a WORTHLESS BUM alone on a pile of bricks.
How is art entertainment overrated?

It’s a real job

Is me wanting to be an artist for my job not fulfilling? Is being a musician or author as your main job not fulfilling?
It can be a real job, but it's a very hard one to actually succeed in
Personally can't help but scoff at people who think they're entitled to a whole career in art just because they can draw, I've seen so many comic pages saying stuff like "tip my Kofi, artists need to eat too!!!" Or "please subscribe to my patreon so I can make a living off of these comics!! Isn't it so SAD how these don't pay my bills???" And I'm like. Dawg just cus you draw stick figure comics with punchlines like "you're telling me SHRIMP fried this rice???" doesn't mean you shouldn't have to work like the rest of us
So many people have this weird idea that they should inherently get rewarded for their art, like, unless it's a commission for someone you aren't entitled to something in return, and I find it kind of cringe when people complain that (non commissioned) art doesn't make them money or get them popular, cus if you're creating art the purpose is usually to have fun and express your own feelings

Chevywolf30

I hunt, therefore I am
ZD Champion
i'd just like to add

my sister would disagree

who spent an entire month in tears over not matching for residency because urology was the most competitive this year it ever has been and nothing she brought to the table made her stand out among 700 some other residents
Ok maybe I wasn't clear, I was saying that if you want medical care it HAS to be from a professional, wheras entertainment products do not have to be professionally produced

Chevywolf30

I hunt, therefore I am
ZD Champion
It can be a real job, but it's a very hard one to actually succeed in
Personally can't help but scoff at people who think they're entitled to a whole career in art just because they can draw, I've seen so many comic pages saying stuff like "tip my Kofi, artists need to eat too!!!" Or "please subscribe to my patreon so I can make a living off of these comics!! Isn't it so SAD how these don't pay my bills???" And I'm like. Dawg just cus you draw stick figure comics with punchlines like "you're telling me SHRIMP fried this rice???" doesn't mean you shouldn't have to work like the rest of us
So many people have this weird idea that they should inherently get rewarded for their art, like, unless it's a commission for someone you aren't entitled to something in return, and I find it kind of cringe when people complain that (non commissioned) art doesn't make them money or get them popular, cus if you're creating art the purpose is usually to have fun and express your own feelings
I think you're more on the money than I am, too many people try too hard to make it in art instead of a more traditional job so it just gets oversaturated and I see that and invalidate the whole thing :shrugs:

Chevywolf30

I hunt, therefore I am
ZD Champion
Yeah but stuff like blue collar jobs and medical professionals need specialized training. And yes, I know that art school exists but you can make quality art (Be it drawings, animations or what have you) with little to no training, soley on talent alone.

Mikey the Moblin

sushi is a suspicious hello
ZD Champion
1 companies need graphic designers to make logos and website layouts for them, improving their revenue and retention
2 cities need art initiatives especially in cities that thrive on tourism markets
3 games and movies and books obviously need a ton of artists
4 humanity needs music to survive, this is indisputable

I want my art to not just be stick figures. I want to do it for people as they requested and to share a bit of myself, what I like, etc.

I’m gonna have to start making my own money soon and doing chores doesn’t make me money and parents shouldn’t give money just for doing standard housework

And you know I don’t wanna do something soul draining, because school is already like that
when you turn 16 you can get an easy going part time job at a movie theater or crafts store or something
it's good to have ambitions for sure but I certainly wouldn't just give up on everything to be an artist, that seems ill-advised

Mikey the Moblin

sushi is a suspicious hello
ZD Champion
Yeah but stuff like blue collar jobs and medical professionals need specialized training. And yes, I know that art school exists but you can make quality art (Be it drawings, animations or what have you) with little to no training, soley on talent alone.
drawing is harder than any job I've had personally

TheGreatCthulhu

The Great Old One, Star Spawn, Sleeper of R'lyeh
ZD Legend
I think you're more on the money than I am, too many people try too hard to make it in art instead of a more traditional job so it just gets oversaturated and I see that and invalidate the whole thing :shrugs:
Ah, now I see what you're saying.

And I would agree with the idea that art, by its very nature, leads to an unsteady income because of how artists think. So if one was to pursue art, I definitely agree that they should, and ought, to get a job with a steady income.

It doesn't have to be a trade job or farming, or a corporate job, it just has to be one with a steady income, and even in the arts there are tangential jobs that do offer a steady income.

Basically, pursue art for the passion, is what I'm saying, and while you can have a decades long career doing art and make a nice, steady living with it, you have to understand it isn't owed to you.

At least that's where I stand.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom