• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Last person to post wins

ruining a handful of drawings in middle school was why i started doing digital art in the first place yeah. but i think its pretty apparent im still more of a traditional artist at heart.

i also usually do my initial drawings on paper before finishing them digitally

digital art has its own version of the "false advertizing" meme but it really just boils down to the horribly dumb conclusion that paid software is better than open source software. open source is like made to be customizeable and you have WAY more power with a free software than something you're paying permission to use

Uwu_Oocoo2

Joy is in video games and colored pencils
ZD Legend
Forum Volunteer
I like coloring digitally but drawing with pencil and paper. Problem is I have to draw it twice, once is my sketch and once is lining it digitally. Which is fine, I can clean stuff up but drawing with a mouse is hard. Something with a touchscreen and a stylus would help me with that ig.
Once I get a drawing tablet I might try coloring things, make it more finished and if I don't like it I can delete it

Chevywolf30

The one and only.
Forum Volunteer
ruining a handful of drawings in middle school was why i started doing digital art in the first place yeah. but i think its pretty apparent im still more of a traditional artist at heart.

i also usually do my initial drawings on paper before finishing them digitally

digital art has its own version of the "false advertizing" meme but it really just boils down to the horribly dumb conclusion that paid software is better than open source software. open source is like made to be customizeable and you have WAY more power with a free software than something you're paying permission to use
Yeah I've liked gimp over Photoshop because I feel more in control of it so it was a tougher learning curve but once I got the hang of it it's felt more hands on.

Once I get a drawing tablet I might try coloring things, make it more finished and if I don't like it I can delete it
i honestly recommend trying out digital art first before going for the drawing tablet to make sure it's something you like. tablets can also fall under something that's optional depending on how you do your digital art, so if you're going for flatter colors, you may not get much use out of it. tablets get the most use when you're doing legitimate paintings with brush strokes because the pen pressure dynamics are the selling point

even though drawing with mouse is universally seen as jarring, it's still something worth getting used to imo, because when you get a tablet, you still are gonna have to get used to moving your hand on a surface that isnt where your drawing is showing up, and the mouse is a good introduction to that.

Uwu_Oocoo2

Joy is in video games and colored pencils
ZD Legend
Forum Volunteer
i honestly recommend trying out digital art first before going for the drawing tablet to make sure it's something you like. tablets can also fall under something that's optional depending on how you do your digital art, so if you're going for flatter colors, you may not get much use out of it. tablets get the most use when you're doing legitimate paintings with brush strokes because the pen pressure dynamics are the selling point

even though drawing with mouse is universally seen as jarring, it's still something worth getting used to imo, because when you get a tablet, you still are gonna have to get used to moving your hand on a surface that isnt where your drawing is showing up, and the mouse is a good introduction to that.
I'm getting one with a screen, that way I don't have to deal with the not-seeing-what-im-working-on. It still has to hook up to a computer but that's cool. I should try digital drawing tbh, I have zero experience

I'm getting one with a screen, that way I don't have to deal with the not-seeing-what-im-working-on. It still has to hook up to a computer but that's cool. I should try digital drawing tbh, I have zero experience
yeah, so keep in mind, one with a screen is going to be a higher end one nd more expensive, so yeah just make sure you're really sure you're gonna get your money out of that since it's your first tablet.

think about a program you'd like to start with too and goof around in it. usually the general function of the programs are pretty similar so dont feel like you have to stick with the one you pick first but gimp and krita are popular around these parts :goron:

also also, it is a bit easier to trace existing sketches with a mouse if you use the shift key to make line segments and just connect the dots, but just make enough dots so that it doesnt looke super polygonal. that should be a pretty universal hotkey in drawing programs.

Chevywolf30

The one and only.
Forum Volunteer
also also, it is a bit easier to trace existing sketches with a mouse if you use the shift key to make line segments and just connect the dots, but just make enough dots so that it doesnt looke super polygonal. that should be a pretty universal hotkey in drawing programs.
I'll use that next time I do a drawing

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom