• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Adventure of Link Last Palace, Need to Vent... :)

So I've been working on beating all of the Zelda games I've never beaten before, and things are going quite well. :)
I got Link's Awakening, Oracle Series, Minish Cap, and Zelda 1 beat in a few weeks time :) Now... Adventures of Link... the game was really hard in the beginning, but I was dying so much that I was out-leveling the dungeons and reached max right before hidden palace... I didn't use a walkthrough for the palaces, only for the overworld and things were great... until I reach the "Valley of Death", which is truly death. Going through there and dying so much, it took me 5 game overs to get through it the first time due to my impatience and refusal to use "Spell" to turn the ghosts to bots. Anyway, that's not really why I want to rant, vent, complain, etc, but does anyone else have any good advice on how not to hate this portion of the game?

I got to the last palace and things were fine, new enemies were fun, and if I'd game over I could "Continue" to the palace and that was great. I actually managed to figure out the path without a walkthrough and realized how "out of place" the blocks on the bottom floor could break open and reveal a fall down. So I have 2 lives left, and I reach the thunder boss, with no magic. I obviously die because I can't leave the scene and I can't cast thunder, so gg there's one life... Next I run in, Thunder, Shield, Jump, and I had the boss down to 1 hit, and myself down to 1 hit... yah you can guess it, I died :)... Then I threw the controller (this is the first game that's ever made me throw controllers) and I select "Save" because it's been a while before saving and I assumed I would start back at the palace. I load up my game file and boom I'm next to Zelda again in North Castle.

I'm to the point where I am just going to assume I beat the game and I do not want to even ponder going back to "Valley of Death"..

Sorry if this is a purely hatred vent post, anyone else been in this situation? I'll probably go back to beat it, but right now I don't want to look back lol. I wish there was a better way to restart the game than going back to the first starting point ever... takes me like 30 minutes to get to the palace to begin the game overing lol

I refuse to cheat, so this game's got my blood boiling, grats to Nintendo for creating something this annoying lol

Nyan Cat

Nyan! Nyan!
:O I loved Valley of Death, I beat it on my first try I think. But that's only because I used really cheap tricks. Like using the Thunder spell and shield spell every second. Not to mention I stayed in the corner of the final battle and hit Dark Link(Which is the fastest way to beat him imo). Your gonna end up using the life spell..a lot during this part. But I'm happy you made this far....not to many people. I find that people give up after a few tries.

Heh, I had exactly the same problem as you right there. Until I figured out I could, when done playing, just hit the Home button (this was on VC), and it would save my pace right outside the palace. Kind of cheap, I suppose, but I look at it as cutting away a hugely frustrating part of the game. If not for that, I probably wouldn't have beaten the game yet. So if you're playing it on VC, I'd recommend doing that.
Believe me, though, as hard as the Thunder Boss is, you'll probably be even more frustrated by Dark Link. He is a complete pain. It's really rewarding when you finally do beat him, though.

Aw, yeah, this is also the first and only game that had ever made me throw the controller. Valley of Death is correctly named.

Wait, on VC you can save at the Great Palace entrance? I left my GameCube on for days when I finally got to it... I need to buy this on VC now, just so I can refight Thunderbird and Link's Shadow without having to trek through the Valley of Death over and over.

Believe me, the Valley of Death made me want to throw my controller, but I have the GBA Classic NES series version, so that wasn't an option. I never tried saving and quitting, because I was afraid of what happened to you. Just so you know, because of Thunderbird and Dark Link, you're probably going to have to go through the whole dungeon multiple times. I eventually got so good at it that I could get to Thunderbird with all 3 lives and most of my health and magic. Just like the rest of the game, it takes patience.

Shadsie

Sage of Tales
I seem to remember that once you reach the Great Palace, if you Game Over within it, you start at the Great Palace - you don't have to go back to North Castle. However, if you quit or turn the game off, you're going to have to start back at North Castle and go back through the Valley of Death again.

So, once you reach the Great Palace, keep on at it until you conquer it! Only quit or turn the game off if you really need to go somewhere or are so sick and tired of hashing at it for five hours or something. Just keep using your three lives until you get to the epic battles. The advantage is that once you know which way to go and which holes to jump into, you figure out a quick way to the end after a while.

The key to beating AoL is time - and paitience.

Ghirahim

Demon Lord
Uggh that game and the final palace is so hard. I've beaten it a few times, with much patience and rage.

El Bagu

Wannabe Mr. 1-8-1
The Valley of Death requieres either 1. Patience and carefulness. or 2. Planning and proper use of spells & "the owerworld minions". I am lazy and thus I prefer the second choice. I normally make it through the valley with one death (not one game over) and it should not take more than 15 minutes (maybe just 10?, I am not sure since I do not check).

I guess it is all about practice and whether you choose to flee or fight. I do not fight all enemies in the game cause that would requiere a lot of time. I prefer to run through the game in just a couple of hours. Maybe the reason is that I have played it through for probably a 100 times :xd:.

(Anyone who can go through the Valley of Death, the Great Palace and reach Thunderbird, without dying and with enough magic to cast the Thunder Spell, he or she is my hero!!!)

So I've been working on beating all of the Zelda games I've never beaten before, and things are going quite well. :)
I got Link's Awakening, Oracle Series, Minish Cap, and Zelda 1 beat in a few weeks time :) Now... Adventures of Link... the game was really hard in the beginning, but I was dying so much that I was out-leveling the dungeons and reached max right before hidden palace... I didn't use a walkthrough for the palaces, only for the overworld and things were great... until I reach the "Valley of Death", which is truly death. Going through there and dying so much, it took me 5 game overs to get through it the first time due to my impatience and refusal to use "Spell" to turn the ghosts to bots. Anyway, that's not really why I want to rant, vent, complain, etc, but does anyone else have any good advice on how not to hate this portion of the game?

I got to the last palace and things were fine, new enemies were fun, and if I'd game over I could "Continue" to the palace and that was great. I actually managed to figure out the path without a walkthrough and realized how "out of place" the blocks on the bottom floor could break open and reveal a fall down. So I have 2 lives left, and I reach the thunder boss, with no magic. I obviously die because I can't leave the scene and I can't cast thunder, so gg there's one life... Next I run in, Thunder, Shield, Jump, and I had the boss down to 1 hit, and myself down to 1 hit... yah you can guess it, I died :)... Then I threw the controller (this is the first game that's ever made me throw controllers) and I select "Save" because it's been a while before saving and I assumed I would start back at the palace. I load up my game file and boom I'm next to Zelda again in North Castle.

I'm to the point where I am just going to assume I beat the game and I do not want to even ponder going back to "Valley of Death"..

Sorry if this is a purely hatred vent post, anyone else been in this situation? I'll probably go back to beat it, but right now I don't want to look back lol. I wish there was a better way to restart the game than going back to the first starting point ever... takes me like 30 minutes to get to the palace to begin the game overing lol

I refuse to cheat, so this game's got my blood boiling, grats to Nintendo for creating something this annoying lol

I feel for ya. I have to use the Fairy spell almost all the way through the Valley of Death or I don't even come close to making it through.

H

Hyrules_Ruler

I'm still avoiding this game like the plague after 15 years...

I understand what you went through. I got through the valley of death with my last life and just 1 or 2 hits left. I heard that you start at the great palace when you make it there, so I selected the save option and I was dissappointed that is started me at the North Palace. I guess I will have to practice and I will have to just leave the system on if I plan on going away. This is 1 of 2 I have yet to beat in the Zelda series. I am so close I can taste it.

I did the same thing (save, instead of continue), but I thought this was the only place in the game where this was ok.

I was so happy to arrive at the Great Palace, the joy of never having to trek through the Valley of Death again, (not to mention the trek to even get there from the starting point), or so I thought. No more walking around in the overworld and get sucked in to random fights every couple of seconds - just the last palace and the final boss fights.

Then I couldn't believe my eyes when it started over at the usual place. When this happened I thought I would never have the energy to finish this game. A few hours later though, I got on it again. Finally arrived at the Great Palace again and after a number of tries with the bosses, I finally beat the game! Must be the greatest feeling of relief of all the Zelda games I have beaten. I beat AoL like 20 min ago, and I still feel all shaken up.

Sorry to revive an old thread, but I just want to pass on hope for those of you who have struggled with this game and became too frustrated to complete it. It's so totally understandable, but with a little help from Mases excellent video walkthrough, patience and effort it sure is possible! And it feels so good to have beaten this game!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom