• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Lanky Kong's Game

Lanky Kong

borf
Hey guys, I just thought I'd make a thread detailing the progress of this game I'm working on.
It's still in very early development and until I get a better PC, I'm mostly just working on sprites.
The main plot line follows the journey of Max as he tries to find a way to rebuild his village and defeat the four demon lords. Gameplay-wise, I want this game to be similar to the original legend of zelda with dungeon crawling top-down ish view, but similar to Monster Hunter in entertaining boss battles and combo attacks. Also, there are multiple characters you can switch to at any time.
Here's a rundown of some characters I made:

These are the main characters:
guy.png
Maxwell Gates (also known as Max) lived in the peaceful mountain village of Aspen Creek... before a mysterious man in a bird mask slaughtered all the inhabitants and set the village on fire. Max soon discovers that he has magic powers that grow every time he slays a monster and sets off on a quest to defeat the man in the bird mask and find a way to rebuild his village.
Weapons:
Maxy's magical powers include blasts of energy, levitation, and even boosting his own phsyical strength. However, Max must be careful because sometimes, these magic powers can be very dangerous...

Screen Shot 2016-05-29 at 4.18.21 PM.png
Belladonna is a legendary warrior from the island of Ragna Rock. Despite her size, she is known for slaying many powerful beasts including the Saw Shark her sword is made from.
Weapons:
Belladonna lives by her massive sword. She's able to deliver crushing combo attacks and dash around with the blade in hand. Some might even say that the sword has a mind of its own...

Screen Shot 2016-05-29 at 4.11.00 PM.png
Oakley Jones is a lumberjack trying to run from his past as the future leader of a forest tribe of archers.
Weapons:
Oakley uses a powerful, sturdy log cut from the Great Oak that can smash through metal weapons with relative ease. Also, due to being raised in the forest he is able to communicate with forest animals and grow plants very fast. He prefers to ignore this gift, as it reminds him of his past.

These are the main villains, known as the Demon Lords. Forgive me if the descriptions aren't as fleshed out, but I haven't done as much work on these guys yet.
Screen Shot 2016-05-29 at 5.51.19 PM.png
Skullcleaver.
He's buff, he uses a hammer.
Screen Shot 2016-05-29 at 5.59.05 PM.png
Gregor. He's actually Oakley's father (spoilers!!!)
He uses a bow.

Screen Shot 2016-05-29 at 6.01.43 PM.png
aaaand this sexy, unnamed hammerhead shark.

Miscellaneous sprites:
Screen Shot 2016-05-29 at 5.08.52 PM.png
A robot

So what do you guys think? What should I add? What should I name the shark man? Post below!

Attachments

• armored guy.png
    armored guy.png
    17.1 KB · Views: 2

el :BeoWolf:

When all else fails use fire
This is pretty cool. I've been trying to learn to make games myself, and I've got a few ideas I need to work on.
Overall, I'd say you're off to a nice start, just keep working at it.
When it comes to names, I like to try and make it something clever if I can do it easily. Just as an example maybe name the Shark, Kladivo which, according to google translate, means hammer in Czech.
Hope everything turns out good for you.

Lanky Kong

borf
so I finally got my new pc working (it's been a while lmao) and I've got one more delicious sprite for you
sharkman-run.gif
idk if you can see this because it's a gif for ants but i'm pretty happy with the way it turned out, this was my first walk cycle for a bigger character with thicker legs (1 pixel legs are super easy because you can just treat them like long noodles)

Well, the 8 bit characters are interesting, but do you have any images of the actual game world? I mean, maybe it's just me, but I think I'd have to see how these characters look in an overworld area to really 'get' the whole aesthetic you're going for here.

Lanky Kong

borf
Well, the 8 bit characters are interesting, but do you have any images of the actual game world? I mean, maybe it's just me, but I think I'd have to see how these characters look in an overworld area to really 'get' the whole aesthetic you're going for here.
unfortunately not, i've been focusing mainly on getting the programming and walk cycles and such done. Most of the characters I did were to pass the time while my pc parts come in.
right now the overworld isnt much of a priority for me, i just want the game to function

Lanky Kong

borf
This is pure ****. No style, no grace, and why do the sprite's all have funny faces?
Excuse me? This comment makes me so mad I want to stretch my arms out just for you. I could inflate just like a balloon of anger, but luckily I'm listening to music and I just dig this tune. You're lucky, man.

Those sprite animations are great! I like to make games myself so i know sprite animations are tought to work with sometimes. What program are you using to create thr game? Clickteam Fusion? GameMaker? IV Maker?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom