• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Breath of the Wild l

I think there is a difference between how imaginative and how much the gamepad is used. I'd like them to be very imaginative with it but i don't want it to invade my game like WM+ did with SS. If they keep the gamepad usage down to a minimum (we'll say OoT3D level) then I'm happy as can be because that way the game won't be wholly designed around the gamepad, and i won't have to more around like a fool to play it.

One thing i really don't want them to do is do what they do with ZombiU and hold up the gamepad to the screen for sniping etc, i don't want to be holding my gamepad up to the screen for anything. I simply want to tap it every now and again to change things around, find some information and move on.

something tells me ZeldaU will be a dark game and i have more than a strong feeling i'll be moving my gamepad a hell of a lot. One way i can see them doing this is to enter first person, which is gonna bug me, i can also see the gamepad being used for the Lens of Truth or something like it, we'll only be able to see what we're looking for on the gamepad...

I can see all of this happening but i keep telling me myself one thing to counteract the worries I have. the console is called the WiiU it is designed for you and a lot of 'possible' features will be lost if you're forced to play the game on the small screen of the gamepad, this gives me a little bit of faith that ZeldaU won't be as hinged on the gamepad as SS was. One can hope anyway...

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
I'd prefer if Nintendo did not shoehorn their new technology into every single usable object within the game. It's one thing to try out new technology, and another to force everyone to use it against their will. By forcing me to pan with the bow, as your example was TBR, that makes the analog sticks useless. I'd prefer if it were like Ocarina of Time 3D, where you can turn the gyroscope off if you so wish to use traditional controls. Yeah, this'd take more time for coding and what not, but it's far worth it when you have more people playing your game and enjoying it.

I would prefer touch screen controls to be relegated to simple map commands. The Wii U gamepad isn't multi-touch which is rather silly in my opinion, so things could quickly become a hassle -- I know they have during games like Call of Duty Black Ops II for me, and BO2 doesn't even require the touch screen much at all.

So basically...just keep gamepad usage as OPTIONAL. I want a traditional Zelda with new-hardware support not requirement.

Cfrock

Keep it strong
I think we're likely to see some items which revolve entirely around the Gamepad, it seems only natural. I wouldn't be against it, in fact I'd probably like it. The big question is if classic or returning items are changed in some way to use the Gamepad, unecessary changes as it were. This would be less enjoyable. I think there's room for obvious things like holding the Gamepad up for the Lens of Truth, other games have done similar things already and for a simple item like that it wouldn't be too intrusive. But if we had to keep drawing the Boomerang path or pull back our bow with our finger then things could get frustrating.

Thankfully, the Gamepad is as much normal controller as it is second screen and there's enough room to put a classic Zelda on it without needing to change how everything works. Oh, did you guys hear about The Wind Waker coming to Wii U. Neat, huh ^^
Anyway, I don't know how much Nintendo are gonna focus on the Gamepad, only they do, but the Gamepad can put classic items to use in the classic way so I wouldn't think we have to concern ourselves too much.

Justac00lguy

BooBoo
I am really looking forward to see how Nintendo will integrate the Gamepad usage into the next installment on Wii U! I really like the Wii U controller I think it has a prefect balance of normal button controls to more innovative and imaginative ways of playing games, this is why I am interested to see to what extent will Nintendo utilise the Gamepad...

Even though a lot of people loved the Motion Control's seen in SS I felt there was too much emphasis on them and a lot of actions such as sword combat with even basic enemies got quite repetitive. Even though I think the Gamepad is a lot better than the Wii Motion+ controller and that it has much higher potential I still think that the gimmick of the Gamepad should not be overused! Just simple features like using the Gamepad screen as a scope Ect. As long as the Gamepad gimmick isn't needed for every single usage of an item I will be happy :) It will be nice to use standard button controls combined with the genius of the Gamepad!

I like an idea that I heard about at another site. It's kind of like the idea of using the Gamepad as the Lens of Truth, but maybe even more important throughout the game.

If the Zelda team will do another Two-World type of Game (I'm thinking about A Link to the Past, even though this concept is part of OoT, TP and even a little in SS) it would be awesome to have very different worlds. One very bright, bold maybe surreal and the other one dark and gritty.

The Gamepad could display in each case the other world. Like a piece of magic mirror you'll gain at some point during the beginning of the game. You wouldn't always need to look at both worlds, but if you're stuck you'll remember to to look at the mirror. You could stay at a forrest meadow (bright world) with nothing there and then look into the mirror (at your Gamepad) to see, that you would stand on some giant monster in the dark world.
Or you can see the targets for your hookshot, but in the world in which you need to be at that point they aren't visible (because of ice or whatever).

It could benefit the puzzles, the mood and would really help to immerse yourself into the world(s).

The contrast of the two worlds would be imo very interesting and more believable then ever, because you're always able to look at the other world even though you aren't able to always switch between those worlds.

I have another idea. I like thinking about game play elements and I would be really disappointed, if Zelda Wii U only realizes those obvious ideas like having your equipment and your map displayed on the GamePad. Those obvious ideas are maybe a little innovative and they would help streamlining the game play experience. And it's nice that you don't need maps and stuff on the main screen, BUT there wouldn't be anything really new to the new Zelda game. Maps and items could be handled by DS's touchscreen. Wii U's GamePad allows for asymmetrical game play, because the extra screen on the GamePad is really independent.

Here's what I was thinking about: The Gamepad could be used as another magic pot (like the one in Minish Cap - oh and something like this was utilized in TP as well). You could aim with the GamePad and absorb stuff that you see on the TV. The stuff you absorbed is than displayed on the GamePad, where you can interact with it. E.g. you absorb a bomb or an enemy that than acts like a bomb and than you can trigger the bomb on the GamePad. Then you fire it out and it explodes in the air or where you want it to explode, if your timing is correctly.

You can use different items as missiles, but there needs to be an alternative weapon for fast combat. You could absorb broken items (like keys..) and rearrange the pieces inside your magic pot. Or you could combine different absorbed items to new ones.

This could be used for analyzing the weak points of enemies as well. You could simply absorb an enemy and then touch the different parts of it to find out about secret weak points or hidden items (like keys they are hiding) etc.

You could even absorb (in this context you could call it something different) NPCs to find out about stuff, they wouldn't have told you non-obligatory. This would help to build deeper characters (like the ones in MM) and to make stories around them.

What do you guys and gals think about a magic pot or vacuum cleaner? Would you rather like more simple ideas like having maps and items on the extra screen and keep the game more classic to avoid any possible gimmicks?

L

Link2792

All i want them to do is utilize good dungeon characteristics and actually challenging boss fights while minimal use of all the gamepads features. Perhaps i shoulda worded that different oh well. I just dont want gimmicks of the game pad with use of dungeon items and boss fights

I like this thread a lot, because I think gameplay is really the first element of a new Zelda game Nintendo puts their minds into. First gameplay, then a fitting visual style (either a more realistic style for more true-to-the-actual-physics gameplay or a more whimsical, stylised, exaggerated style for fantastic, imaginative gameplay). Finally after these decisions have eben made, story elements and references to the other games (Timeline placement) can be thrown into the mix.

So when you know nothing (except that they are thinking about the order of dungeons and possible multiplayer), why don't start where Nintendo starts: gameplay.

Gameplay means a lot more than just the use of the Gamepad. Aonuma stated that he is excited about Wii U's architecture and that he and the Zelda team are tossing around ideas that were previosly unrealizable due to Wii's weaker power. I am talking about the complexity of puzzles, interactivity of the world, the amount of enemies etc. - and not about graphics (we know it's going to be the prettiest Zelda game yet). I think, gameplay is an interesting topic to speculate about (you figured that one out, didn't you :lol:), but I am mostly interested in the possibilities of the new controller.

I don't want gimmicky controls. I didn't use OoT 3Ds motion controls, because I was way faster with traditional camera controls and aiming. I thought, that touch controls were okay in PH and SS, but if they were optional, I would have liked using a slidepad better. Nevertheless it's a good option for newer gamers and it's certainly more intuitive. Having maps and items on the Gamepad won't hurt anybody, but it's merely a very little evolution of gameplay.

I really want a revolution. I don't want to be forced to do something different I already could do in other games. This new Zelda game should be the game that wouldn't be possible on any other console. The Gamepad should be used to enhance the experience while keeping it enjoyable for the hardcore fans who'd just like more of the same. If you'll say after experiencing the new game, that there is no way you could ever play a new Zelda game with just ONE screen again (/with no touchscreen/with no NFC chip....) than Nintendo will have made it essential and right.

I think there is a possibility, that Nintendo is doing really revolutionary stuff with this unreleased game. Stuff that I haven't thought about at all. And I'd like to read some ideas of yours how this could turn out - how this could work.

Last edited:
This kind of complements the idea of having the gamepad as a "mirror" into another world (see my first post in this thread).

Nintendo Direct in january had the information, that the developers of the next Zelda installment are rethinking the conventions of the franchise regarding the need to play Zelda alone. Here is my idea how this could work:

I'd like each player to have the full Zelda experience rather than one player having the role of an assistant (like in Wind Waker with the Tingle Tuner or in Super Mario Galaxy, where one player actually plays the game and the other one just collects and shoots stars to ASSIST). Additionally I still want to be able to play the game by myself. This would be like in my first post in this thread.

But there could be two players, one looking at the TV and playing with either Wii Remote and Nunchuk or with the Classic Controller and the other one looking at and playing the Gamepad. Both players could be totally free: theres no need to be at the same place or in the same dungeon. This way both players could explore the next thing to do or the next place to be and communicate with each other, when somebody finds something. And here comes the concept of the two worlds: both players would be versions of the same Link (one like a shadow with a free will). And both players play in different worlds (light and dark). In order to progress through the game, players need to interact with each other. If one player finds a possible entrance into a dungeon but isn't able to reach this without help, this player asks the other one to go to the same place in the dark world (for example). Both players talk to each other about the differences and similarities in their worlds and help each other to progress. Like one player melts some ice in his world to reveal targets for the hook shoot but just for the player in the other world. Players would need to interact and to explore most parts of the game together and could still be free to explore on their own.

Yeah, this idea only allows two players to play together, but they would have a "real" Zelda experience. Also, you wouldn't be forced to play the whole game alone OR together, but you could play parts with a friend and parts (or the whole game) alone, managing both worlds with the mirror feature and your Gamepad, just as you like. I guess, if this is done right, it would encourage gamers to play the whole game by themselves and also to play the whole game with a friend (and maybe even on each side of the worlds), because these experiences are quite different to each other and none of these is just better or worse then the other.

Last edited:
I hope they utilize the gamepad to the maximum, without overdoing it. For example, pulling back a bow string on the touchpad would be, just, there's just no way.

I'd like a fundamental gameplay concept around the Gamepad. I don't want gimmicky controls, but new ideas that wouldn't be possible on any other hardware right now. Something that really shows of the strength of Wii U.

Deeds

no text
To be honest, I'd be suprised if Nintendo didn't try and implement the Gamepad features as much as possible. It's how they work with games, and we know that because (like you said) - Skyward Sword was mainly based around the Wii Motion +, which I am fine with, because it gave me an immersive experience. But, I'm not too keen on the features the gamepad has to offer, like the touchscreen, that just becomes one big gimmick as soon as you even touch on the idea of using one. Pun intended.

I completely agree. Mainly because I dislike holding the Gamepad in one hand while managing to get the stylus and using it with the other. But there are other features of the Gamepad, right? I want the Gamepad to display important stuff, but no hud or map.

After using the gamepad as a map for Sonic&AS:RT I'm not too sure about using the gamepad for a map anymore,but maybe just because it didn't show the whole map and had that obtrusive rear view camera at the top of the screen... I dunno.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom