• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

l

Cfrock

Keep it strong
Makes perfect sense to me. Two Links, three timelines, something had to give. It explains why all those ancient fellas in The Wind Waker were so hung up about the Hero of Time and why TWW Link had to go so far out of his way just to prove he was worthy of being the Hero at all. Makes me think back to getting The Master Sword in TWW and the way all of those knight statues would raise their swords and lower them over Link's head, like he was being knighted. In this context it's like that is the moment he truly becomes the Hero and the statues are a physical representation of him receiving some kind of blessing.

Cfrock

Keep it strong
Just playing twilight Princess and the Hero's Shade has just said this:

You have mastered numerous hidden skills and now house the spirit of the true hero.

Seems to back up the idea that the Hero's Spirit can be earned through a person's actions and isn't just passed on as simply as it first seems. Do all Link's have to first earn the Spirit, perhaps?

Shadsie

Sage of Tales
I like this... I find it very sound.

I always thought it was either this, or "The Hero's spirit split somehow based upon the split in dimensions and differing experiences." If you define a "soul" as "the sum of our experiences," of course it's going to be different in a universe where one is slain vs. a universe where one lives on and has new experiences - much like a chicken soup, the base might be the same, but you come up with different things with the stuff you put into it. I always thought it could be that the Goddesses preserved just a whiff of the Heroic Essense to bestow it upon the Hero of Winds even though the last Hero was experiencing and suffering elsewhere in different dimensions.

Then there's this odd little fanfiction of mine that takes Smash Bros. into account. "The Continuity Game." I KNOW IT'S NOT CANON - that's the whole point of fanfiction - to do things the canon wouldn't / to put your own spin on things. I wrote it as something of a "what if the Smash universe got involved with the Zelda timeline?" I used the "splitting of souls because of different experience" thing. I also used that story to attempt to solve the "You are the Hero of Time reborn!" line from Ganondorf in WW. Again - not-canon, not even an actual theory of mine, just me having fun with my laptop keyboard.

From a purely logical standpoint that doesn't require the fanfiction writer's leaps of imaginiation, your theory here is very sound, BR. You put thought into it.

So, what your saying is literally everything bad that has ever happened to Hyrule has been Zelda's fault. I always pardoned her for the flood but now I see she took the hero spirit from Hyrule by giving Link back a childhood he didn't really want (I mean, he didn't go back to kiddy activities, as soon as he took a nap he went right back off on his horse). Hylia chose the wrong princess.

ihateghirahim

The Fierce Deity
Here's my idea.

In WW, I originally thought the Hero's absence was the result of Link's journey to Termina, but HH debunked that. I know think he left for some other quest and disappeared. The people sought, but never found him. The Triforce of Courage passed on down to one of his descendents, along with the blessing of the gods. Ganondorf's return necessitated that the legacy of the hero go on. It's like a gene. It passes down through the line of the SS Link, and it's activated by the gods when evil approaches, or simply when evil strikes. It even transcends the timelines.

In TP the skeleton guy (obviously the OoT Link) simply meant his chosen descendent had now received all the knowledge he had to pass down. (Odd considering those moves were never in any other game, but that's a discussion for another day.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom