• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

L is real 2041?

NorthApple

GIVE ME THE APPLE!!
I agree entirely with basement24... I'd never really examined the signs before, and when I went and looked, I just saw a bunch of scribbles... only after reading what was supposed to be there did I start to see the sort-of resemblance.
Sorry guys... personally I think the "L is real" part spawned from some desperate fan who clung to the notion Luigi really was in SM64.
Although it is odd how they recycled it in OoT... oh, there we go- recycled. They were in need of a metal-plaque type sign, and there was already one in the engine, so they used that.
Case closed (imo).

Although it is fun to still speculate about such things xD

Master Kokiri 9

The Dungeon Master
Dang I can't believe this! L is real 2041... WHAT DOES THAT MEAN?! *grabs and shakes head like HMS* Well it might be possble that Nintendo thought that Link would actually be born in real life in 2041 and decided to let us decode it. And in SM64 it might be Luigi. However it might also have been a test for us to see if we could decode the writing.

Steve

5/19/13
is obviously not an "s".
Now, they do look alike, but what I am is saying is focus on the diffrences and you will see that they look diffrent.

I have ripped textures from both Ocarina of Time and Super Mario 64. Both are the exact same texture, even in size, the only reason the SM64 one looks different is due to distortion, as it is being stretched over a rectangle, rather than a square. Clearly they say nothing in particular, so it very well could simply be to link the games, seeing as both were worked on by the same design team, perhaps it is simply a "plaque" in their honor.

Last edited:

Keyshe

Whoo are youu?
It... kind of looks like "L is real 2041" At least it looks like a L , and I think one could be a 2... but evey thing else looks more like random squiggles... I don't know what some one could come up with L is real 2041...

But given the other easter eggs in OOT it might just have a meaning... I wish some one at Nintendo would speak up.

P

Pancakes

I think we are just exaggerating here. But Mr. Miyamoto loves to watch us fanboy/fangirl over the smallest of things.

In an office in Japan:
Assistant1: Mr. Miyamoto, the fans are trying to decipher our hidden message in Mario 64 and Zelda OoT.
Miyamoto:tell them it's nothing!

A1:O...Okay sir right away!
A2: What did it say sir?
Miymoto:THE CAKE IS A LIE!!!!

In ocarina of time at dodongos cavern there is at floor 2 in the main room there is stone sign that says something (i dont remember it now) but if you look it closely you see some text in it.It suys that L is real 2041. the same message in same looking plate is in the super mario 64 (not sure about ds version) in the gardend with many boos is star statue wich says L is real 2041? What that means? Is this one of those zelda/ super mario mystery?

If I'm correct, it had something to with Luigi being seen in Paper Mario which came out on February 4, 2001. It was also a rumor that there were 2401 coins total in the game and that was a way to unlock Luigi. Another way it was deciphered was as a sign saying "Eternal Star" which is most likely true. The plaque was on a statue of a star in the garden in Super Mario 64.

Octo Rocked

Dr. Octorokapus BLAAAAAH!
Oh, you silly people. It just means that someone who worked on Ocarina of Time is a big fan of Death Note. And the numbers are...well, probably some sort of significance. That one's harder to justify.

CZG

Oh man....
I always though we played as Link, turns out to be Luigi?

Heh, I don't mean that.
If programmers want people to notice their weird little jokes, the should have a higher resolution texture!

I stared hours at them both, and all they did was making my head hurt.

When I first saw the infamous plaque in SM64, I thought it said "Eternal Star". It makes more sense in its context (being on a statue of a star and all). Now that I look at it, it does look like "L is real 2401". And, the way I see it, there are three possible explanations:

1. The writing is "Eternal Star", which fits in the situation in SM64, and it was included in OoT as a joke/easter egg.
2. The writing is "L is real 2401", which is talking about Paper Mario and its release date, and was included in OoT as another incentive.
3. The writing isn't anything, and was included in OoT as a joke/easter egg because they knew people were being stupid about it.
4. It was talking about L from Death Note. :lol:

I'd say the first one is the most likely.

Some resembelences, but it really doesnt say that, i dont think. It says something though, but close-up N64 screen shots arent great lol

Since it's blurry on the n64, It looks like L is real 2401. Febuary 4, 2001 was the release of paper mario for the n64, and Luigi was in it. It could say that or Eternal Star. I think it's Eternal Star.

TriforceHunter

Forever I am Abandoned
Well, I noticed the "L" is real, but not the numbers, and here's the back-story, in case noone has posted it and/or knows it.

In 1996 a gamer while playing SM64 found in the BackYard place a note that he made out to be 'L is real', he thought that stood up for "Luigi is Real" and speculated that Luigi was somewhere in SM64, he sold that storie to the Newspaper and fro a year gamers were trying to get Luigi in SM64, until in 1997 Miyamoto stated in a conference that Luigi was nowhere in SM64, so just for laughs and jiggles he put "L is Real" in OoT as an Easter Egg.

May be the same sign, but you can't read anything from it. And if it was a secret message, it would be written in Japs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom