• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Kotaku: Is This the Official Timeline?

JuicieJ

SHOW ME YA MOVES!
On the midnight Spirit Train going anywhere
Scuttle-but on ZU at the moment says that the "fails" wording was a mistranslation. The split was caused when Link first drew the master sword (causing a world where Link dissapeared, never to return), he is sealed in the sacred realm and then inserted into another timeline, and the third created when he is sent back. Sorry no proof, nothing seems proven yet, rumors seem to be coming from japanese websites/forums.

That sounds way too complex, even for Nintendo. Link failing in an alternate universe makes a load of sense, although I hope that's not the explanation.

Kombatgod

Timeline Exegete
Another thing I'm not too happy about is the Adult/Child split happening after OoT. I know People are now stuck writing their timelines like this:
........./WW
SS-OoT
.........\MM
But actually OoT only happened in the Adult Timeline! So technically it should be:
..../OoT-WW
SS
....\MM
I know the split was caused from events in OoT, but this is a timeline, so games should be in chronological order! Even if you're not too good in time-traveling topics, the point is quite simple: MM feature the same Link from OoT, but he's young! So these events can't be after OoT! They're parallel to it, and take place during those 7 years between the child part of OoT and the adult part of OoT!
I really expected them to fix this misleading common error in the official timeline.

S

SilentLink

Another thing I'm not too happy about is the Adult/Child split happening after OoT. I know People are now stuck writing their timelines like this:
........./WW
SS-OoT
.........\MM
But actually OoT only happened in the Adult Timeline! So technically it should be:
..../OoT-WW
SS
....\MM
I know the split was caused from events in OoT, but this is a timeline, so games should be in chronological order! Even if you're not too good in time-traveling topics, the point is quite simple: MM feature the same Link from OoT, but he's young! So these events can't be after OoT! They're parallel to it, and take place during those 7 years between the child part of OoT and the adult part of OoT!
I really expected them to fix this misleading common error in the official timeline.

the reason its written like it is. is because without placing the split after OoT when writing the timeline, it would assume that none of the events in OoT happened in the other timeline (meaning
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------/WW ----/OoT--WW
that the link and zelda didn't exist in the other timeline. now we know this to not be the case, but it's accepted to be written SS-OoT and not SS- to avoid confusion of
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------\MM ---\MM
misinterpretation. People could misread the latter time line as meaning the split happens as result of SS not OoT. also, the split happens at the end of the game in OoT so it makes more sense to put the split after it. although looking at the events chronologically, the better way to portray the split would be

SS--OoT--WW
--------/
-------/
-----MM--

since the events of MM happen parallel to the late events of OoT

but that is a bit unnecessary since we all know the basic events already without the explaination of a over-complicated representation of a timeline.

Last edited by a moderator:
I figured out the third split is rather obvious but really subtle as it is never mentioned in any new game, it happens when child link after getting the spitirual stones goes to the future, he becomes the hero of time as saves Hyrule in the future creating the adult timeline, zelda sends him back to a point in the past where he hadn't even begun his adventure, creating a new dimension and the child timeline, so what happened with the original child link's dimension? nothing link never came back he ceased to exist leaving the gate of time open and giving ganondorf probably the entire triforce as the chosen one for the triforce of courage dissapeared and an open road to do whatever he wanted starting the sealing war of a link to the past in which there was no hero only the sages

SecretNerd-sshh

Its a secret to everyone
Hrmm, uhhh, no just no. Well damn, okaaaaaay I guess I can accept it. Im not sold yet though, this timeline was translated by a fan with no scans.

G

Ganon-cannon

Maybe I've completely missed it, but I don't necessarily believe Link has to "fail" for timeline A to happen. I'm actually kinda surprised that nobody's thought of this before now. In Oot, when Link pulleth the master sword time doesn't just stop. The timeline continues without a Link and with Gonondorf getting inside the sacred realm. Oot Adult timeline then happens and everybody knows that song and dance "Ganon sealed, link sent back, flood ect.ect.ect." When Zelda sends Link back to the past she sends him back to before a) young Link and Zelda ever met b) or just right after their meeting. At either point Zelda hasn't fled yet showing that Ganondorf hasn't made his move yet, and he also has no access to the spirit realm. This accounts for timeline B, however there still is the timeline where Link disappeared and Ganondorf had access to the spirit realm. This timeline would have no Link returning seven years later so the people have to find another way to beat Ganon. This is how it makes sense to me.

However, despite the fact that I just defended it, I'm not entirely happy with this timeline. I'm upset that there seemed to be a good build for a OoT-TP-LttP in-game that appears to have been completely thrown away. FSA to me seems tacked on to TP for no reason. And there's no good explanation on the time difference between LA and LoZ, where did the master sword go between games (there's no LttP for it to "sleep forever"), and how did the Triforce go from being complete in LttP/OoS-OoA "i.e. Ganon loses his" to Ganon getting it back and the Triforce of Courage being put in a temple (which would suggest that the Triforce was broken up well before Ganon's return). For all this to truly work for me Miyamoto and/or Aonuma (probably both) will have to come out and explain their thought process.

I have a thought... and keep in mind that its only a thought. But what if in Oot, after Link pulls out the Master Sword, Ganondorf entered the sacred realm and the triforce found him to be balanced. He makes his wish and in retaliation the old sages sealed Ganon in the Sacred Realm now known as the Dark World. These events lead to Alttp.

This could explain the possibility of a third split.

Another thought I had to further support my theory was after Link pulls out the master sword and "wakes up" 7 years later. Having Ganondorf already sealed away, there was no need for a hero. This might be explained as Links "failure". Afterwards He might have became a knight of Hyrule.

Anyway, thats my theory. I leave it here as a topic of discussion. Keep in mind though, its only a theory.

I am not goin to consider any of this most likely nonsence untill Shigeru Miyamoto or some other top dog at nintendo confirms this

I am not goin to consider any of this most likely nonsence untill Shigeru Miyamoto or some other top dog at nintendo confirms this

Dude, it's a Zelda history book released BY NINTENDO. I don't see why you need more.

What's with 90% of the Zelda fanbase being...not smart?

Kombatgod

Timeline Exegete
the reason its written like it is. is because without placing the split after OoT when writing the timeline, it would assume that none of the events in OoT happened in the other timeline; People could misread the latter time line as meaning the split happens as result of SS not OoT.

Er.. dude, your first timeline is a little messed up for some reason, but I got the point. Yeah, you're right, I know that, but there also are some people that, looking at the timeline believe all events from OoT happening in the CT, wile basically the only event we know happened there is OoT's "The End" screen... Anyway I'm fine with it, I don't care too much, I only expected them to put the split before in an official timeline.

although looking at the events chronologically, the better way to portray the split would be

SS--OoT--WW
--------/
-------/
-----MM--

since the events of MM happen parallel to the late events of OoT

I agree totally: Link goes back, so even the timeline should go back... Have you seen Back to the Future Part II? Where Doc explains the timeline on the blackboard? That's a perfectly done time-travel timeline.

Dio

~ It's me, Dio!~
........./WW
SS-OoT
.........\MM
..../OoT-WW
SS
....\MM

No it should technically be this

...........WW
........../
SS-OOT
......\
.......MM

As MM woult take place partway through OOT on an alternate timeline, because link has already left the forest and spoken to Zelda

Kombatgod

Timeline Exegete
I figured out the third split is rather obvious but really subtle as it is never mentioned in any new game, it happens when child link after getting the spitirual stones goes to the future, he becomes the hero of time as saves Hyrule in the future creating the adult timeline, zelda sends him back to a point in the past where he hadn't even begun his adventure, creating a new dimension and the child timeline, so what happened with the original child link's dimension? nothing link never came back he ceased to exist leaving the gate of time open and giving ganondorf probably the entire triforce as the chosen one for the triforce of courage dissapeared and an open road to do whatever he wanted starting the sealing war of a link to the past in which there was no hero only the sages

I quote you, but there also are many other people saying this.

To me this makes no sense at all. Link was sealed for 7 years and then awoke. There's no split, it makes no sense to be a split when you travel forward in time. Some people say it's bacause the Temple of Light is beyhond time and space, or something like that, but it doesn't explain anything, it's like just saying "It creates another split because it's magic".

I personally have 2 theories for the split:

a- What If - A Link to the Past takes place in an alternate universe where Ganon was able to keep the whole Triforce after entering the Sacred Realm, so events in OoT happened differently, leading to his sealing as described in ALttP's manual. NOTE: this is just a "what if", there's no actual in-universe split, the "Failure Timeline" is actually another version of the story.

b- Premonition - Rauru choose to seal Link because he was too young to fight Ganondorf and would have lost. How did he know it? He used his power to see into the future and saw Young Link fighting directly and dying. Then Ganondorf obtaining the whole Triforce. So he decided to seal Link and change the future, thus creating the first split in the timeline.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom