• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Kotake and Koume (Oot)

How is it that Link defeats K&K during Oot and they come back in the Oracle games? I understand that the oracles are located under the hero is defeated split. But according to the Hyrule Hystoria The hero is defeated by Ganondorf, during the final battle. Link defeats K&K before he fights ganondorf. So how is it that the hags come back?

The placement of the Oracle games in the timeline is very fuzzy as is and I've always considered them to be side stories much like Majora's Mask wherein the narratives of previous games are negated. The linked ending is essentially a removable discontinuity which could arguably be slapped anywhere on the Hyrule Historia timeline.

The only clear statement we receive from Koume and Kotake concerning their return is upon besting the couple in the Spirit Temple,

Twinrova said:
I'll come back to haunt you.

Perhaps the Oracle hags can be likened to apparitions much like Phantom Ganon or are revived by subservient minions, along the lines of those striving for Ganon's resurrection in Zelda II: The Adventure of Link.

The placement of the Oracle games in the timeline is very fuzzy as is and I've always considered them to be side stories much like Majora's Mask wherein the narratives of previous games are negated. The linked ending is essentially a removable discontinuity which could arguably be slapped anywhere on the Hyrule Historia timeline.

The only clear statement we receive from Koume and Kotake concerning their return is upon besting the couple in the Spirit Temple,

Perhaps the Oracle hags can be likened to apparitions much like Phantom Ganon or are revived by subservient minions, along the lines of those striving for Ganon's resurrection in Zelda II: The Adventure of Link.

I don't think they are apparitions, otherwise they would have stated that in the HH. maybe that game you are hoping for will feature how K&K come back.

r2d93

Hero of the Stars
To be honest, there isn't really a good reason. The oracle games weren't really created to be in the spot they're in, and to be honest, at that time Nintendo probably hadn't even thought of one timeline split let alone splitting it into 3 parts.

So the only explanation is that Nintendo had no way of knowing really

I don't think they are apparitions, otherwise they would have stated that in the HH. maybe that game you are hoping for will feature how K&K come back.

You raise a good point but in many areas concerning the minor games, the HH provides a perfunctory description of the narrative's aspects, quickly glossing over them without second thought.

Concerning the Oracle Twinrova, this is all it has to say,

Hyrule Historia said:
The foster mothers of Ganon once known as the thief Ganondorf. Ganondorf became Demon King Ganon and Twinrova are now trying to revive him.

Browsing online, I did find the suggestion that Koume and Kotake die in a manner different from other OoT's bosses interesting. Rather than disintegrate into ashes, the two are transported away by blue beams resembling those Link leaves dungeons through. While the halos above their heads are certainly suggestive of death, perhaps they possess hidden special powers which could also explain why the two lived for around four centuries.

Given the Oracles' placement on the Decline Timeline after A Link to the Past, it's also likely Ganon used the Triforce to revive his surrogate mothers after conquering the Sacred Realm and transforming it into the Dark World.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom