• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Breath of the Wild Koroks featured = no Zoras (plus other races)?

I don't know what BotW is playing at with having Koroks in the demo. But having them in there worries me that I wont get to see any Zoras in BotW (a race I was hoping to see).

The Koroks being part of BotW tells me we may be in the adult timeline, which if that's true would probably mean no Zoras because they'd be Rito by this stage (especially if its post flood), which is depressing, still there may be some hope...

So I guess what I'm asking is, does the inclusion of the Koroks, make you wary of now not seeing your favourite race, whichever that may be, in BotW?

Dio

~ It's me, Dio!~
They could retcon the thing about Koroks coming after the flood and have them come about before, but assuming they dont retcon we will likely not see Gerudo, which is a race I would most like to see again. However I wont be sad not to see them as I dont expect their appearance. My other favourites, the Gorons will almost certainly appear. I'm not worried there as I see no reason for them not to appear wherever this game goes in the timeline.

Not really to be honest. The Koroks were never something the Kokiri evolved into, they only took the forms of little wooden creatures when they took to life on the sea, and it was most likely so they could fly around the Great Sea and plant new trees. It's not a crazy assumption to me that they could have taken on this form to fly up and down the Great Plateau (and any of the other giant areas in this new, massive Hyrule.)

Personally, I'm suspecting "child" timeline, Koroks and all, as I really don't think they'd "unsink" the world from Wind Waker. (This was my biggest protest in the days where people were still arguing single vs. split. Single or split, I could NEVER see Nintendo unsinking Hyrule, as the whole story was about moving on from a past long gone.) Also, Aonuma has implied a connection to Twilight Princess multiple times, and I don't think we could really have that (or Wolf Link) in another timeline. Not to mention Wind Waker Hyrule's technology never struck me as being to the point of having magic smartphones before everything sunk. (They were barely using steam engines.)

Wind Waker never goes into detail as to why we ended up with the Koroks instead of the Kokiri, but as Hero of Legend suggested, it was probably so they could fly around and do the Deku tree's bidding rather than hide in their woods all the time. Even if you argue they evolved into that form over time, there is nothing to suggest that this couldn't happen in another timeline, and we never meet the Kokiri again in Twilight Princess.

If someone still wants to argue adult timeline, I think it'd personally be better to assume post-spirit-tracks, as that was the most technologically advanced culture we'd seen in a Zelda game.

Doc

BoDoc Horseman
The Koroks transformation from Kokiri is so vague, honestly, that Nintendo could probably make it work in any of the timelines. I don't think their inclusion is indicative of much. Especially given the importance of the Sheikah in BoTW, a race that was virtually absent in Wind Waker, I don't see it's likely that we'll see this game in the adult timeline.

Isn't it possible that if the King of Hyrule, Ganondorf, and Ganondorf's minions (and potentially the Shiekah) were able to stay alive in bubble Hyrule, that an enclave of Zora could have stayed as well, whether it be the Zora royal family or not? I'm not set on this being the case, but it's a possibility, especially considering Nintendo's relative lack of plot consistency. How they didn't all drown at the end of WW, who knows? It could just be explained away.

Isn't it possible that if the King of Hyrule, Ganondorf, and Ganondorf's minions (and potentially the Shiekah) were able to stay alive in bubble Hyrule, that an enclave of Zora could have stayed as well, whether it be the Zora royal family or not? I'm not set on this being the case, but it's a possibility, especially considering Nintendo's relative lack of plot consistency. How they didn't all drown at the end of WW, who knows? It could just be explained away.
Well, it isn't really a matter of the Zoras staying alive, it's a matter of the Goddesses taking the Zora's evolution into their own hands. They forced all the Zora to quickly evolve into the Rito so they wouldn't be able to swim low enough to get to what remained of Hyrule.

Well, it isn't really a matter of the Zoras staying alive, it's a matter of the Goddesses taking the Zora's evolution into their own hands. They forced all the Zora to quickly evolve into the Rito so they wouldn't be able to swim low enough to get to what remained of Hyrule.
That's a good point. Couldn't the goddesses have done the reverse in the event of a de-flooded Hyrule?

That's a good point. Couldn't the goddesses have done the reverse in the event of a de-flooded Hyrule?
They could, but I doubt they themselves would try to interfere with a wish made on the Triforce, considering Daphnes wished to completely drown and destroy the remains of Hyrule.

They could, but I doubt they themselves would try to interfere with a wish made on the Triforce, considering Daphnes wished to completely drown and destroy the remains of Hyrule.
So, in the event of a post Wind Waker placement, would you expect to see the Rito? That could be pretty cool. And if it does end up being post TP, do you expect to see all the same races from that game?

So, in the event of a post Wind Waker placement, would you expect to see the Rito? That could be pretty cool. And if it does end up being post TP, do you expect to see all the same races from that game?
Yes, if was post Wind Waker, I'd expect to see the races from that game returning in greater numbers.

If it was post TP, we probably won't end up seeing the monkeys, because it's incredibly likely that the monkeys were just the Kokiris in a different form, similar to how they can change forms to become Koroks. Otherwise, I'm sure that we'll end up seeing Zoras and Gorons, and possibly some new races that will be introduced.

el :BeoWolf:

When all else fails use fire
It's been a while since I've played The Wind Waker, but I don't remember it ever being explained why the Kokiri became the Koroks, other than they wanted to fly. Now if that's the only reason for the Kokiri to become the Koroks, then they can fit in nearly any timeline, so I don't see why Koroks and Zoras couldn't exist at the same time bar the adult timeline.

It doesn't make me wary at all. I mean, we don't know that Breath of the Wild takes place after Wind Waker, or even in the same timeline. So for all we know, the next trailer could show of its equivalent of Zora's Domain.

Heck, some could have even escaped the Great Sea area. I mean, we had only a few Gorons in Wind Waker, but a lot more in Phantom Hourglass. Maybe there's another region where the Zora survived the great flood?

Link Floyd

ᵒⁿ ᵗʰᵉ ʳᵘⁿ
I would assume Botw takes place before WW, since we haven't seen an ocean and just an open landscape that we assume is Hyrule.

As for the Koroks appearence, it could be Nintendo simply bringing back a beloved race from a classic game. I'm hoping we get to see the Ritos as well, but I wouldn't count on it.

Dio

~ It's me, Dio!~
I would assume Botw takes place before WW, since we haven't seen an ocean and just an open landscape that we assume is Hyrule.

As for the Koroks appearence, it could be Nintendo simply bringing back a beloved race from a classic game. I'm hoping we get to see the Ritos as well, but I wouldn't count on it.

On the topic of oceans. What we do see from E3 gameplay footage is collectable rock salt, the description of which is 'from an ancient sea'. That could point to the game actually being post flood and the sea being drained.

One theory is that this takes place in a Hyrule where Ganondorf got his wish at the end of Wind Waker and exposed the land again. Alternatively the sea could have just dissapeared over time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom