• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Koloktos' Voice?

sivelki

Ancient Automaton
As you know, when Koloktos is defeated, he starts laughing like a child.

But I also listen to a similar voice when he "spawns" the cursed Bokoblins.

Can someone with advanced knowledge on decrypting files, look for some sound files in Skyward Sword that are from Koloktos

I also would like to discuss theories about Koloktos in this page.
Like for example:
How can koloktos work without Ghirahim's energy?
Who build Koloktos?
Is Koloktos alive with Ghirahims energy?
If Koloktos attacks everyone who tries to reach the flame, that could mean that Ghirahim had to defeat him?

And another question:

How tall is koloktos?

Well, the child's laughter that you may have heard might have something to do with the story The Spider's Thread from which The Ancient Cistern draws inspiration. Koloktos is generally believed to be a reference to the Buddha featured prominently in said story. However, having not read the story myself, I can't say exactly where the laughter came from, but I'd surmise Koloktos ("Buddha") may have been the source, seeing as how it (Buddha) is often portrayed as very childlike in both appearance and personality. Koloktos various facial expressions and movements might attest to this fact.

Further research on The Spider's Thread also leads me to believe that it was not Koloktos itself laughing, rather, it was a sort of sound clip thrown in there to reference a part from said story where the main character, Kandata, giddily laughs after finding out there's a way out of the "underworld." For better understanding, I suggest you click on the above link for more information.

Edit: Hmm, I wonder why others are not replying to this thread... :/

Anyway, I just discovered something after looking into The Spider's Thread again. It appears that I may have mistaken the character that Koloktos is referencing. Rather than Buddha, it seems more likely that Koloktos is referencing the main character, Kandata, himself from said story. In the story, despite having repented and stuff, Kandata still ends up in "hell" (which the depths of Ancient Cistern seems to be referencing). So the laughter might instead be a reference to Kandata's laugh from the story, after all. :yes: Well, whaddyaknow?

Last edited by a moderator:

sivelki

Ancient Automaton
Thanks man, that was exactly the type of answer i wanted to have. But, isnt "Buddah" the giant stone guy in the middle of the cistern?

Thanks man, that was exactly the type of answer i wanted to have. But, isnt "Buddah" the giant stone guy in the middle of the cistern?

Yeah, the huge stone statue guy appears to be heavily based on the Buddha; it even has his hands held forth. The Ancient Cistern is quite an interesting locale. [noparse]:)[/noparse]

sivelki

Ancient Automaton
Another question. Well, 2.
1.Does Koloktos' pose at the start of the battle have some meaning???
2.Are you Robert?

1. Well, aside from the aforementioned Buddha, Koloktos' design is also believed to have been partially inspired by the major Hindu deity known as Shiva. Shiva is depicted to have multiple arms (at least four) and sitting in a yogic position (full lotus) - with two of his (yes, his) arms resting and the others raised - in meditation. Shiva is also seen dancing in many depictions. It is interesting to note, however, that Shiva is usually depicted with four arms, while Koloktos boasts six. Another interesting aspect of Shiva is that it is often worshipped in the form of a lingam (Shiva-linga). Linga (plural?) are essentially elaborate, decorative ornaments that come in a variety of forms, the most common being a "vertical rounded column." To the point, I'd surmise linga, or Shiva linga in particular, might have served as inspiration for Koloktos. This implies that Koloktos was essentially a Shiva-linga-esque statue brought to life (by Ghirahim). On that note, I wonder who and where were the mysterious people (?) who worshiped it (in SS). o_O

Going further, I'd like to think the design of Koloktos may have [also] drawn inspiration from the Vedic god Rudra. This might not be too far of stretch considering Shiva and Rudra are often identified as parallels to each other despite the religious disparity (similar to Greek and Roman god counterparts in this respect "like Zeus and Jupiter"). Rudra is described as the god of the roaring storm - he is depicted as a rather destructive deity (like Shiva). Something interesting to note is that he is often seen wielding "six arrows" in each hand in most portrayals.

Whatever the case may be, the guys at Nintendo seem to have drawn influences from a multitude of real-world mythologies and/or religions in designing Koloktos, as with many other things in the Zelda series, particularly SS, because of its huge emphasis on Far Eastern themes. That aside, I think its safe to say it's nigh impossible to pinpoint the exact origins of its peculiar hand gestures, or if they carry any semblance of significance at all (probably not).

2. No. Watashi no namae wa Damichuri desu. Hajimemashite.

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom