• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Kokiri and Links Outfit Theory.

You see when I was a kid I pretty much only played oot and i just assumed that link dressed the way he did because thats how the kokiri dressed, end of story. Thats kinda what I always thought and i guess i just figured that every other link dressed that way in a heroic tradition to pay homage to the oot link. Well if SS is the first game in the timeline and naturally link is still dressing the same way do you think it is possible that the SS link will do something in SS that will influence how the kokiri dress? Like the kokiri are founded and the link does something for the baby deku tree so he decideds kokiri children should dress like SS link. Or does this seem too farfetched? what are your thoughts on this?

zeldahuman

Graphic Designer
well, it seems very plausible, considering all teh kokiri look like Link when it comes to their fashion. ;)
i mean, that would make sense. i was guessing, using OoT's backstory, Link's mother fled into the forest with SS Link, and they dropped off Baby Link his a baby verion of the Hero's Garb, and the Deku Tree ordered them to dress the same. ^^ idk... guessing here...

Links mother fled into the forest with OOT link. And by my theory the kokiri already dressed the way the do in oot. OOT link dresses that way because the kokiri do. the kokiri dress that way because ss link did. Thats just my theory.

zeldahuman

Graphic Designer
and when i said SS Link, i meant like, SS Link is OoT Link's dad. that's what i meant, should of clarified. and i understand your theory, and it does make sense...

Yeah i see what you mean. But i think that SS takes place longer before oot and ss link would be old and dead by then.

Djinn

and Tonic
Well it can be hard to tell which one is the "legendary hero" that is mentioned. The tunic Link wears holds some level of importance to many of the deities of Hyrule as well as the commoners at a later date. When it is mentioned by the people of Outset Island and the Deku Tree of Wind Waker we are led to believe that they can only mean the Hero of Time of OoT. There are numerous mentions of OoT Link and the seven sages throughout the game. In TP there are really no references to the events of OoT except what the player can pick out for themselves. However the Light Spirits do mention the tunic of the hero early in the game.

The light spirit Faron spoke of the legendary hero when giving Link of TP the green tunic.

Look at your awakened form...
The green tunic that is your garb once belonged to the ancient hero chosen by
the gods...
His power is yours. His is the true power that slept within you.
Your name is Link.
You are the hero chosen by the gods.

The Deku Tree also mentions the Garb Link wears as the garb of the Legendary Hero and not that of the Kokiri. This I think is interesting as a young Hylian wearing a green tunic should have reminded him at least somewhat of his own children. They all had the look of young Hylians in green tunics and hats. I think this might be significant.
That garb you wear...
Could you be the legendary hero?

Has the king at long last found the
Hero of Time?

What is the matter? Do you not understand
the ancient Hylian tongue?

So...you are not the Hero of Time.]

I must apologize. I was in error.
I saw your clothing, and suddenly I felt a
longing for an age gone by... That longing
caused the ancient tongue to pass my lips.

It might be possible that the tunics the Kokiri wear are based on the green tunic of a past Legendary Hero. The Deku Tree told Link in the game that he knew that he was a child of destiny

It seems the time has come for the boy without a fairy to begin his journey... The youth whose destiny it is to lead Hyrule to the path of justice and truth... Navi...go now! Find our young friend and guide him to me... I do not have much time left. Fly, Navi, fly! The fate of the forest, nay, the world, depends upon thee!"
Giving Link a green tunic at the time could have been a part of his preparing him for being the future hero.

Several time a helper or mentor figure has given Link the green tunic before he begins his journey. On outset island Link gained them from his grandmother to commemorate the legendary hero. The Link of ST gains a recruits uniform from Hyrulean soldeirs which is a green tunic possibly meant to remember the hero of WW, The Deku Tree might be doing the very same thing with Link of OoT. And in the demo of SS, we see Link putting on the familiar green tunic before setting off to the world below the clouds.

Another past theory that I have made on the tunic was that Green appears to be the color of Farore the goddess of courage. Everything that represents Farore, from the statues, symbols, pearls, spells, spiritual stones, and representations are always green. The holder of the triforce of courage represents Farore, normally wears green. And the servant of the goddess the Deku Tree that keeps the Kokiri Emerald and later the Goddess pearl is green. Leads a tribe of people that wear green, and normally is connected to the forest. Obviously the color green is sacred to the goddess who's triforce piece the legendary hero holds. So it does make sense that the hero who's main attribute is courage would wear green.
farore.jpg

When Faron gave Link the green tunic of the hero of the past, he also said that "his power is yours." Which many people do consider the point in time which he obtained the triforce of courage. It might be possible that the Link of SS who helped establish Hyrule and form the Master Sword was well remembered by the deities of Hyrule, while the common folk most remember the previous hero that last saved the kingdom in each era. In the minds of both the current hero is wearing the familiar costume of the "Legendary hero" while that definition may be different. The Kokiri wearing green tunics of the hero of old could be just the Deku Tree remembering "an age gone by" even then.

zeldahuman

Graphic Designer
well yeah, but i always thought that SS Link could be OoT Link's dad... and that would make sense, considering that the "Land below" Skyloft is filled with evil. i assumed that meant Skyward Sword took place during the Hyrulean Civil War (if that's what it's called) over the triforce...

well yeah, but i always thought that SS Link could be OoT Link's dad... and that would make sense, considering that the "Land below" Skyloft is filled with evil. i assumed that meant Skyward Sword took place during the Hyrulean Civil War (if that's what it's called) over the triforce...

I suppose that this is possible, i mean i cant think of anything that contradicts it.

athenian200

Circumspect
a place of settlement, activity, or residence.
My theory is that it may be a coincidence. There are a lot of people wearing tunics in Hyrule, and in case you haven't noticed, the Links all wear a slightly different green tunic and hat.

It may be that the resemblance between SS Link and OoT Link is simply a fated coincidence sort of situation... and later Links were influenced by the Kokiri via OoT Link.

Turo602

Vocare Ad Pugnam
Yeah it seems possible. I thought of that too. But I think it would be cool if Link died saving the land below and that's why they dress the way they do. In memory of him. There's obviously life below too so maybe the Kokiri live there.

I don't know why, but I always wanted Link to die at the end of a game. For story purposes. You'll like SS Link more now that he's gone, you'll hate evil even more, etc. Tragedy is good sometimes.

Last edited:
I am not sure if this can be relevant, but:

personaggi_people_kokiri.jpg

link02.gif

the clothes from the common kokiris arent exactly the same as link, plus, can be there a reason why only the males wear hats?

the Links all wear a slightly different green tunic and hat.

you cant be sure of that, it may be just the art style changing from game to game, or may be not

Some others, partially including myself, have a theory based around this.

What if SS-Link planted the Deku Tree, that would make cense!

Link in Skyward Sword is wearing green clothes (just as every other Link).

What if the Link in Skyward Sword actually planted the Deku Tree, which later grew up and created the Kokiris, who did wear the very same kind of clothes as the man who had planted the Great Deku Tree. And that's why the Link in Skyward Sword wears the green clothes!!

Kokiri_Kids.png

So basically, the Kokiri of OoT wear green in honor of SS Link?

Who knows? It's not out of Nintendo's grasp to do something like this... (make such a significant reference such as this) Will they do it is the question (given their track record in regard to the story).

Destiny

Single❒Taken❒Assassin✔
One of my theory's for this is that the Kokiri already existed in Hyrule went SS Link came down to the land below, and that he somehow helped/saved their race or did something honorable and decided that they would dress like him to say a thank you. Then in Ocarina of Time, Link simply dressed like the Kokiri because he thought he was one.

One of my theory's for this is that the Kokiri already existed in Hyrule went SS Link came down to the land below, and that he somehow helped/saved their race or did something honorable and decided that they would dress like him to say a thank you. Then in Ocarina of Time, Link simply dressed like the Kokiri because he thought he was one.

You beat me to it:dry:
Let me expand the theory with something of my own; I think the Kokiri did not have humanoid shapes in the beginning.
SS Link would be the first humanoid creature they ever saw, and they would take on humanoid shapes as well, to honour him or just to be like him.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom