• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Kirby: Yay or Nay?

We had Zelda's 25th anniversary this year but another Nintendo flagship character also celebrated a milestone; Kirby.

Kirby is a dark horse for Nintendo, he seems to be aimed at the youngest of gamers, his games aren't that challenging and even the youngsters his games are aimed at are able to complete his games in a sitting or two (i know this because i did it, numerous times). But Kirby also has a lot of games under his belt, more so than probably most of Nintendo's more famous names such as Zelda and Starfox.

With so many games both party/minigames like Kirby's Dream Course and more recently Mass Attack and main console titles like Superstar and Epic Yarn as well as the Dreamland trilogy, kirby feels like a prolific mainstay yet people seem to glance over him as if he wasn't there at all (until they need him in Smash Bros).

So what is everyone's thoughts on Kirby? Do you like him? Do you think his games have a decent and ageless mechanic? Are you excited for the anniversary disc which features 6 games, a history of booklet and a CD? Or is Kirby the Nintendo character that deserves to be ignored?

and in closing, happy birthday, Kirby.

Kirby is even at this day a unique side scroller platformer, with that being said i still love him and probably always will.

I haven't played any of the newer titles, but Kirby was definitely the game character that got me into gaming in the first place.
I think what's so great about Kirby is that he can appeal to all audiences, he's fun and simple enough for smaller kids but also intense enough to be enjoyed by adults.
Kirby holds a special place in my heart ^.^

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
Kirby is definitely a yay for me. To this day, my all time favorite Kirby titles have to be Kirby Super Star (and Ultra -- they're interchangeable for me), Kirby 64 Crystal Shards, and of course Kirby and the Amazing Mirror. Some people don't like him, but I personally think he is the only immensely cute character in gaming history that can be a complete badass and get away with it. Gosh, I wish I had this quote from a YouTube comment ready, because it described Kirby perfectly.

Love Kirby. It's a sure fire yay. The games may be bashed as being both kiddie and too easy but if you dig deeper, there are plenty of secrets to uncover. Epic Yarn especially has me stumped. Four player cooperative play in Return to Dreamland was also appreciated. I am definitely buying the 20th Anniversary Collection Disc when it releases later this year. Happy 20th, pink ball of cuteness!

Dan

I love Kirbys ability to steal a power from his enemies. Can always make gameplay different, and uniqe in each play through. Who the **** cares if he looks kiddie , he could beat the living **** out of master chief or solid snake any day ;) Let's not forget he has RED SHOES !

Super Star, Epic Yarn, Return to Dreamland, Crystal Shards... No matter what Kirby game I play they're always entertaining and adorable so this is a definite "Yay" for me.

RedDekuScrub

Red as the Crimson Sun
Kirby is one of the Elite Four when it comes to Nintendo. (I have concluded this because in every Super Smash Bros game they always put Mario, Link, Pikachu, and Kirby in highest regards.) I personally love kirby, and I can't wait for his 20th Anniversiary box set to come out!

Last edited:

Dio

~ It's me, Dio!~
Never played a Kirby game before, but he's irritating in Brawl so I can't say he's someone I particularly like.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom