• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

King Dodongo VS Scaldera

Who has a better battle?

• King Dodongo

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Scaldera

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
S

Staldra

A friend and me were talking about Zelda when this came up, anyone who has played both OoT and SS can see why they are similar.
Of course King Dodongo was great back then, but Scaldera (the easiest SS Boss IMO) seems like a more interesting fight than King Dodongo.
King Dodongo is easy and slow, you just need to move to the center or use your hylian shield and you get 0 damage, Scaldera is easy too, but it can still surprise you with some attack and it lasts more (if you fight it in the story, and not in rush mode, because the MS is a lot stronger)
I think my friend just has a lot of nostalgia in his opinion, so I wanted to see what is your opinion.

The VS is about which battle is more fun to you, and no about the bosses as characters

200px-Dodongo2.png
_______VS
300px-Scaldera_Art.png

G

gydders

Scaldera. The setting was pretty original. True he was easy to beat, but nowhere near as easy as King Dodongo. Regular Stalfos' gave me more trouble than him.

Azure Sage

March onward forever...
Staff member
ZD Legend
Comm. Coordinator
King Dodongo was a pretty repetitive boss. He opens his mouth and draws a large breath. Link throws a bomb in his mouth at that point, he swallows it, and boom. Then he rolls around the room and the process repeats itself. He is a very easy boss. He looked very intimidating at first, however. Compared to King Dodongo, Link is basically a tiny bug. His sheer size is what makes him look so intimidating. But when it comes time for the fight, he turns out to be a cake walk.

Scaldera is a lot like King Dodongo. Although, he was a bit trickier. He chases Link up the large slope, and tries to draw a large breath. Link then has the opportunity to throw a bomb in his mouth. When it explodes, Scaldera rolls back to the bottom of the slope and his eye is vulnerable for a short while. But Link has to keep blasting him to get rid of the rocks around his eye, because they can block Link's sword. Scaldera also could try to run Link over like the bolder in the beginning of Raiders of the Lost Ark. At first Scaldera was a tricky boss for me, because I kept running out of bombs before I could get him to swallow one. But once I got used to his patterns, he became a much easier foe to fight.

Personally, I prefer Scaldera, simply because he could do more than breathe fire and roll around. He isn't very intimidating, though. My first thought when I first saw him was "He looks like a giant burning dust mite..." Of course, Scaldera then proceeded to thoroughly burn me. After that, I got my head in the game. With King Dodongo, he freaked me out at first, but he was no trouble to figure out. After that it was smooth sailing. That's another reason why I prefer Scaldera. He could put up a much better fight.

Last edited:
both battles where based around the same ideas, but i feel like Scaldera had much more advanced design and challenge.

MW7

I don't even think it's a question; Scaldera was much more challenging and interesting. He even had a second phase of sorts in which he walks over you to roll down at you. King Dodongo does the same thing over and over, and you should never take damage in that battle ever once you know how to beat him. Scaldera is the same but definitely trickier. Within the context of the dungeon though King Dodongo made more sense to me because you saw two other forms of dodongos in the dungeon so it makes sense within the Zelda universe for there to be another bigger dodongo. With Scaldera it's like a bad twist at the end of a movie- you know that boulder that almost killed you, it's a monster! Still that doesn't make a big difference and Scaldera is definitely the better boss IMO.

Darklinkrules45

Bow Down to the Dark Lord
i think scaldera because even though their weakness is both bombs and swords. scaldera is harder to get bombs in his mouth. Ocarina of Time, easy to get bombs in King Dodongo's mouth.

Any avid Zelda fan will tell you that King Dodongo is such a weakling when it comes to a boss fight. Wait to he opens his mouth, throw a bomb, slash a few times, and walk to the edge of the lava pit until he slams into a wall from rolling and repeat. You can beat him in just under two minutes that's really how quick he takes to beat. As for Scaldera he takes longer to beat despite having a pattern too but at least he changes up from simply chasing you up the slope if you ask me. The only time anyone can beat him quickly like under a minute is during the boss gauntlet when they have the Master Sword but that's not really a fair comparison.

Fig

The Altruist
I prefer King Dodongo, only because he's more iconic than Scaldera. King Dodongo is the best fire dungeon boss there is. True, both of them are defeated by the use of bombs, but King Dodongo can deal more damage to Link than Scaldera since you just need to run to the top to avoid contact from him and/or his fireballs. When you're battling King Dodongo, you are already in a secluded area where you need to roll like Sonic (Didn't want to use the word fast. You get it? LAWLZ:)) and you can only roll so fast, making it more easier for King Dodongo to deal damage to Link. Sure, Ill accept that Scaldera could be better than King Dodongo if that's what you believe, but for me, King Dodongo will always live as the best fire dungeon boss ever!:)

D

Demon Lord Link

If i had to choose between King Dodongo and Scaldera generally as which monster is stronger,i would surely choose Dodongo!!!!But as an overall fight i prefer Scaldera.

SNOlink

I'm baack. Who missed me?
I say Scaldera because, like some people have already said, he was still harder than King Dodongo. King Dodongo is just bomb, slice, repeat. Scaldera has a similar pattern, but is much more difficult. With KD, you just have to slice anywhere. With Scaldera, the eye can move around with the more rocks that are gone making you get less hits per sequence as the fight goes on.

everettkagan

Major SS and Oot fan!
I know that king dodongo was totally terrible graphics, but i just didn't find any liking to scaldera at all. I also like the fighting style of king dodongo much better.

I did notice some similarity between those two! The miniboss fight with the lizalfos is also kind of a reference to Dodongo's Cavern, too.

Anyway, Scaldera frustrated me lots more than King Dodongo ever did. Scaldera gives you less time to throw bombs in his mouth than King Dodongo. A lot of the trouble I had with Scaldera was due to either bad timing or the fact that I suck at Wii Motion Plus. I don't know who I prefer...but I wouldn't mind fighting Scaldera again. I wonder if he'd still frustrate me the second time around.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom