• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Kinect 2.0

Kinect-2-for-Xbox-One-640x353.jpg
so Microsoft reveled a more bulkier, more advance and more sinister looking kinect for all our gaming pleasure because pressing a button is hard and tiresome.
Microsoft says that it will always be on and that it will be listening, and watching for you to enter the room and say " XBOX ON" they will turn on your system

" We aren't using Kinect to snoop on anybody at all. We listen for the word 'Xbox on' and then switch on the machine, but we don't transmit personal data in any way, shape or form that could be personally identifiable to you, unless you explicitly opt into that." ~Microsoft CVP Phil Harrison

Microsoft claims the new Kinect is so sensitive that it can read your heartbeat and recognize individual voices. how it can read your heart beat i dont know.
here is a chart comparing the specs of kenect 1.0 and 2.0
Kinect-2-specs-e1361373855339.jpg

what i find odd is that their is only 1 camera on it, so it seems that their is like an all in 1 camera and it alone is powerful enough to process all the images needed in order for it to work properly. It has all the other features that kinect 1.0 has like voice control but seems to lack moving vertically on its own.

Now personally, i dont like the idea that this thing has to be connected to the system inorder for it to work and that the system needs to be online to check in every 24 hours in order to play a game. i dought every game will use the kinect controls. im sorry but right now i do not trust Microsoft on this till more information is out.
so what do you think about the new kinect 2.0? remember with kinect you are the controller.

Last edited:

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
Great specs! Remember that it's just the dev trying to make money so no double standards!!! :)

Just kidding. I'm not excited about this thing being always on. Sounds like a DRONE to me.

Skittles

Rainbows!
It's seems like Microsoft wants to be Big Brother too. Imagine if someone hacked into their system and stole your information that way. It just doesn't seem like the best thing, I mean, gosh, while MS might not want to do that (yet) this only give certain kinds of criminals more access. Yes, present thoughts at one o'clock in the morning, for sure...

Maybe what MS needs to do is just give up on Kinect. It always looked kind of stupid and well...looks ever sillier now. Well, I guess try, try, and try again is in effect here...*sigh*

Viral Maze

Verb the adjective noun
So, the Kinect was a failure the first time around, and the solution is to release a bigger one.

Well, no, it wasn't. Your ignorance is showing...

It sold over 20 million units so I wouldn't say that was a failure, and what the Kinect did, it did very well (Dance games and other party titles). I worked at a summer camp for kids last summer and we had a Kinect set-up. I thought it was great, and the younger kids really loved it. Obviously, I wouldn't buy one myself, and the older kids (12-13 years old) were indifferent to it, but that's beside the point. Even though it doesn't cater to the core gamer (and Xbox's core audience) doesn't mean it failed...

Skynet, always watching/listening jokes aside, the Kinect 2.0 looks pretty damn cool. The always on thing is a little weird, but whatever, I'll deal with it if I ever get an Xbox One.

Kinect 2 Full Video Walkthrough: The Xbox Sees You Like Never Before
Watch that, and tell me its not cool so I know you're a dirty liar.

I just hope future games don't integrate too much Kinect. Controllers are still the best (I blame the Wii for this motion control fad).

Mercedes

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
I'm happy they're improving it! As Raj said above, Kinect was not a failure, it was well-liked. I spent Christmas actually playing Kinect Adventures with the family, it was just stupid, wacky fun!

Kinect works fine for casual gamers and that demographic, Kinect 2 just making that better is great. As for if it'll attract core gamers like myself; well, I'm always happy to try things out. Kinect did have some good features while playing a few core titles; I loved how in Skyrim you could actually shout to do the shouts, and in Mass Effect you could actually just order your allies around by telling them exactly what to do. I really liked those features and if they can be expanded on, great!

It's a great piece of technology anyways! I look at people modding it on PC and it really is pretty advanced. More advanced than stuff like Kinectanimals shows off. :P

CynicalSquid

Swag Master General
I don't really care because I'm not buying a Xbox One :D

I have a feeling like motion controls/talking to the system/no buttons are going to take over gaming.

I... Just... Is it really that hard to push a button?

It just seems really awkward to talk to your xbox. o.o

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom