• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Killing Off Characters

misskitten

Hello Sweetie!
If it makes sense to the story it may suck, but it's an understandable choice. I've "lost" several favourite characters this way. It's devastating for a fan, but it can be understandable, and even necessary for the story progression. It's okay to hate it, to be outraged, but if it's part of the story, then that's how it's going to be. For those who wants to deny it happened or want to "fix it", there's always fanfiction. That's how fans learn to cope.

this is what i think. PLOT TWIST. it was a alternative brian that killed brian, after all the vehicle the hit him did look like brian's car, and brian wasent exacly him self, he was too happy and that seemed out of charictor, so that could had been a different brian. ( eather that or it was Quagmire that killed him) but if brian is dead for good. well family guy just wont be the same. just like the Simpsons with miss kabable. its sad that the voice actor passed away, so yea i can see why they want to retire the charictor. but the simpsons just wont be the same.

Last edited:

Musicfan

the shadow mage
I like it when they kill off the character that every one loves to hate. What I mean about the show is the character who is an annoyance to the watcher or MC. Like
when Mr. Morraorka died in persona 4
you hate them but the show/game just is not the same with out them.

Firice da Vinci

Distinct lack of Leonardo
I love the idea of letting characters die in a story. The overall shock that occurs is wonderful for the story, especially with the charismatic additions. Final Fantasy VII: Crisis Core is the only game to date that has caused me to weep tears. The anime, Angel Beats, widened my eyes a multitude of times. The plots were constructed in a way that most players/spectators knew the final result before it ever happened. The real adventure was being able to experience the buildup: joy, sorrow, loss, and fear. Those are just a few emotions that every story needs to be truly moving and captivating, and death scenes are one of the best ways to go about it.

Of course, it can be very easy to mess up those last fleeting moments in a life. For example, ninja are slain in Naruto all the time, yet few have ever swayed me; none really worth crying over. There is such a vast pool of people that they barely have any time to be characterized. Even with the filler arcs in the anime, one of the characters died with what felt to be six episodes of screen time. For a show with over 300 installments that have to drag the story on with flashbacks, that is barely even a dent. It doesn't exactly help that half of the population gets reincarnated to once more live the life of a shinobi. I still love the animation, though only for the action, especially in number 322. Yes, I have committed that one to memory.

Usually, killing off my beloved figments is great; only when properly executed. With the methods of entertainment I have, the latter is not something that frequents my path. So, yes, I do approve of it, no matter the cost.
If Madara goes and pulls a Nagato at the end of the war, Kishimoto is going to have a lot of explaining to do.

Sydney

The Good Samaritan
Do you think death should become a more frequent mode of plot advancement in entertainment?
I don't understand why everyone has this strong belief that characters have to be killed off in order for them to leave a show, then again it does heavily depend on what the plot is about. That being said, I typically don't mind the creators killing off a character, so long as it's not completely random. A character's death should follow the plot line, but still be at least moderately surprising to fans. Furthermore, I believe a character should die with at least some respect or dignity, regardless of their role. Ex (major OUAT spoilers ahead):

Recently on the Once Upon a Time winter finale, Rumpelstiltskin/Mr. Gold grabs a hold of Peter Pan (also his father) and stabs the both of them. While the two are dying, Rumpel gives his father a kiss on the cheek prior to disappearing in thin air. I found this a surprising-ish (I sort of saw it coming) yet respectful way to kill off two rather important characters.

ALIT said:
Does killing off long standing characters hurt or help narratives?
This depends on how long the character's been on a show/movie, and the show/movie's plotline. If it makes sense, and the character's been on for a decent amount of time, then I believe the death is rather justifiable; however, if we're discussing about Brian's case, the death committed this late on a show with virtually no plotline certainly hurts the franchise.

ALIT said:
What are some examples of effective character deaths in TV shows, movies, or videogames?
OUAT:
Rumpel and Pan's death were very well executed. Although I was somewhat upset that two of my favorite characters were killed, it was done perfectly, and the character's reaction to it was excellent.

Castle:
The death of Roy Montgomery was a heard death to stomach, but it was masterfully executed. Although we find out he's one of three dirty cops, he sacrifices himself in order to save Kate's life. Later, when they host his funeral, you can tell that all of the characters are taking his death hard. Even though Beckett getting shot was a huge shock, it still doesn't take away the fact that we'll never get to see Montgomery ever again.

ALIT said:
What are some bad examples?
Brian's death, obviously.

Vanessa28

Angel of Darkness
Staff member
ZD Legend
Administrator
Well....a character being killed off is a part of a show and can be very emotional unless the name is Kenny mcCormick and dies almost every episode. Sometimes it can help a show to go in a different direction. It really depends on the show. The hardest thing is people often become attached to a character and when this character is killed off it will take time to get used to it.
Btw in the case of Brian...
As we all know now he is back. The creators are denying they planned on killing him off permanently but the large amount of complains must have something to do with it even though they won't admit it

Tony

Stardust Crusaders
I believe that killing off characters is a good way to show character development for the character being killed and often times the protagonist and surrounding side characters. Obviously this can't be done just like that and has to have good build up and a reason for the death. Just gonna take a moment to remember the entire Zeppeli family here.

Blue Canary

Your Friendly Neighborhood S***poster
In my opinion, it could either harm or help the show. Sometimes, you need to change a show to make it better. However, lot's of shows end up jumping the shark with these sorts of things, simply because they changed it in a way that no one wanted it to change. A character's death has a big impact on a show, and a safer alternative would be, simply, to change something else. However, with Family Guy, even though I don't watch it, I know that there isn't much to change. In a Drama, killing off a character, if done properly, works. But you don't watch a comedy for it's story, at least not Western Animation. Well, maybe, but you can't very well have it take over the show, which is what killing off a character will end up doing. Now, I know I am going off topic with this last part, but changing a big part of a comedy usually gets people upset. Which is why it is a better idea to do something that will change it, but not too much. Take for instance, PHineas and Ferb. There are a lot of things in that show that you could change, but they would mess up the story a lot. So, they made a less important character find out one of these things, that Perry was an agent. It changes things enough to make it better, but not too much that it ruins it.

onebizarrekai

gay energy
I think they can only kill off characters in an actual story. You know, like every episode has a part of the story, rather than something completely random happening in every episode. In a show that tells a story, they can do that, but in what a lot of cartoons are today they can't really get away with that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom