• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Killer Instinct XONE

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
What are your thoughts? Were you expecting this to be it? I kind of was anticipating it because I knew the new Rare would **** SOMETHING that was dear to us oldbie Rare fans, but it was still shocking...

Still, I think KIONE will be very successful under the Xbox One thanks to the online restrictions! :)

You?

Salem

SICK
I didn't what to expect when they said "historic rare ip", ok so I barely played the old KI games, but I am a Rare fan,(The reason i wanted an Xbox is because of Rare games).

But I don't want KI to fail just because Of Microsoft's DRM garbage.

Mercedes

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
I think it looked alright! I'm not really a fighting fan myself but, my friends on Skype at the time who are fighting fans were pretty pumped. So, going off their reactions, it seems be good. ;) Not something I'll probably end up buying. Maybe, who knows. If I get an Xbox then yeah, it'll probably make its way to my game collection but not an instant buy or anything.

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
Killer Instinct is a day-one digital-only release on Xbox One, and features -- get this -- one character. Jago is free to play on launch day. Everyone else -- unspecified returning characters as well as original fighters -- will cost money. Price is to-be-determined (of course).

WTF? One character and you have to buy the rest? Yeah, here you guys go! The wonderful AMAZING Xbox One ! You see I told you it is targeted towards the RICH and STABLE Internet users [who are also idiots for wasting money] ! I will buy KI and all of the characters even if it costs $100 ! <3 <3 <3

I love Killer Instinct, my childhood in gaming revolves around KI 1 and KI2/Gold.

In my youth when i happened across the first game on the Snes it blew my little world wide open. Through KI's theme and dark tone i was introduced to the type of music i'd come to love and enjoy and the style of tone that i'd come to feel most comfortable with. KI one was the first 'dark' and 'edgy' game i played. I could only play it during the day at first, the music would creep me out on the character select menu and the fights would feel a bit too violent with characters like Riptor tearing into you (his stage music freaked me out too). I was never any good at it, it never came with a manual or the CD when i bought it, but i came to learn the moves myself with the amount of playing and experimenting i did with it.

Years later i'd go on holiday with my grandparents and i still remember seeing the KI2 arcade machine for the first time. I never left that thing, i'd play it every day, my grandparents were happy to play the 2p machines and i was happy to spend of all of my money and all of their winning playing KI2, the new theme blew me away, the graphics made the characters i had come to love truly feel alive, its was darker, more violent, more scary and extreme in every way, in the time since playing KI1 i had played Mortal Kombat and Street fighter and Tekken and none of them had matched the fuzzy love i had for KI1, and after playing KI2 i knew that no other fighting game would ever approach it for me in my opinion.

I continued to play it and every holiday my grandparents took every other month would see me going with them to play KI2 at the arcade, Orchid would become the second female game character that i'd become attracted to (first being Rinoa of FF8 fame) and i'd use her religiously followed by Fulgore and Spinal, i really truly came to love these characters and they took on their own lives in my head as they continued to inspire me.

Then i got an n64 and hunted out KI Gold, while it was a massively downgraded version of the Arcade version with less violence and polish i still loved it more than i'd loved any other game in the past.... then as the years went on, and the consoles changed and Rare left nintendo i swore that if KI ever showed up again i'd buy that console to play that game. As the era of DLC crept in i would think of KI and that if it were ever to be released it'd be the only game i'd ever hunt the DLc out for just to have all of it, to continue my love life in gaming... i had all but given up hope when former Rare workers said that KI3 would most likely never happen and that very few of the people who worked on KI 1 and Gold under nintendo were left under Microsoft's ironfist.

My hope died and i gave up on ever seeing KI3, but when i heard the announcement of an historic Rare IP coming to Xbone my mind instantly flashed the KI letters, i said no and moved on thinking it'd be another banjo-kazooie game or maybe even Perfect Dark, either way, it wouldn't be KI3... and then it was.

I've done some reading on the production of the game and those responsible for bringing KI back stress that KI3 is a tribute to the series for the fans...
There is a problem with that though, because if you want to make a tribute to a video game that had its own identity, you dont let the morons at Netherealms (responsible for Mortal Kombat) try to clone Street fighter 4.

When i saw Not-Jago, i said 'that isn't Jago, he looks like a reject from Mortal Kombat' then the credits rolled on the devs... whatever is left of Rare really didnt feel present in the KI3 announcement and the fight screened at E3 left a lot to be desired. I never thought that KI would return as a clunky looking 2D fighter since KI2/Gold had very strong leanings towards 3D.

Its kind of sad that after so long and so many halcyon memories of being truly happy with a game that i never thought would return, that its big return has resulted in it being a clone of both of its rivals in Mortal Kombat and Street fighter. I'll recognise portions of characters i used to love, i'll remember the music and the announcer and recognise versions of them in KIXbone but it wont be KI, it'll be a title stuck on a clone game that others who wish they'd made that original game have made to keep themselves happy.

Essentially to me; Rare let netherrealms have a title and characters that vaguely resemble something they used to be to make street fighter 4 with... all i want from KIXbone is the music, at least the main theme, which is the only thing that seems to have survived.

And all of this is before i start to talk about the console it is actually on, one of the creepiest, most expensive and demanding consoles there will ever likely be in the Xbox One, perhaps i'd have bought KIXbone were it on the 360, in fact, i know i would have, would i have enjoyed it considering netherrealms and what is left of Rare made it? Probably not, sheer loyalty to a title would have urged me to buy it and hunt out the dlc even if that meant dragging my 360 to a friend's house to get it. i'd have felt disappointed in the game for being nothing more than SF4 with a vague KI skin by the muppets who make MK but i'd have given it its chance. the Xbone though, will not be getting any money even if it has the one title ive ever truly loved in gaming, bad timing, bad console, bad game... probably.

... and then there is the business model release tactic theyre going after.... good luck with that guys, you killed KI for those slight few that still cared. C-c-c-c-c-combo breaker indeed. :-/

Ah, what the hell, let's have one for the road; as i always used to say 'that is really gonna hurt... when he wakes up form his coma'

[video=youtube;Ae0OzQ5hbJE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ae0OzQ5hbJE[/video]

Last edited:
Its kind of sad that after so long and so many halcyon memories of being truly happy with a game that i never thought would return, that its big return has resulted in it being a clone of both of its rivals in Mortal Kombat and Street fighter. I'll recognise portions of characters i used to love, i'll remember the music and the announcer and recognise versions of them in KIXbone but it wont be KI, it'll be a title stuck on a clone game that others who wish they'd made that original game have made to keep themselves happy.

Essentially to me; Rare let netherrealms have a title and characters that vaguely resemble something they used to be to make street fighter 4 with... all i want from KIXbone is the music, at least the main theme, which is the only thing that seems to have survived.

And all of this is before i start to talk about the console it is actually on, one of the creepiest, most expensive and demanding consoles there will ever likely be in the Xbox One, perhaps i'd have bought KIXbone were it on the 360, in fact, i know i would have, would i have enjoyed it considering netherrealms and what is left of Rare made it? Probably not, sheer loyalty to a title would have urged me to buy it and hunt out the dlc even if that meant dragging my 360 to a friend's house to get it. i'd have felt disappointed in the game for being nothing more than SF4 with a vague KI skin by the muppets who make MK but i'd have given it its chance. the Xbone though, will not be getting any money even if it has the one title ive ever truly loved in gaming, bad timing, bad console, bad game... probably.

I'm pretty much in full agreement.. Everything that I enjoyed about Killer Instinct has pretty much been sucked out of it. It doesn't look good and I don't really believe anything great is gonna come out of it. It's just a shallow husk of what it formerly was and I'd rather not have a third game than what I'm seeing now. :(

Rare's already butchered Conker, Perfect Dark, and Banjo Kazooie, why should Killer Instinct be any different? It's clear these projects Rare was once acclaimed for are now after thoughts. Forget about the millions of people who made you into a world class renowned developer, keep making more Kinect Sports titles and Xbox Live avatars.

It's tragically ironic Rare developed refined AAA titles for Nintendo's platforms, usually dubbed 'kiddy', yet for the "hardcore" Microsoft crowd it's thrown nothing but skimpy bones. Being bought by Sony is the best thing that could happen to Rare right now.

I'm pretty much in full agreement.. Everything that I enjoyed about Killer Instinct has pretty much been sucked out of it. It doesn't look good and I don't really believe anything great is gonna come out of it. It's just a shallow husk of what it formerly was and I'd rather not have a third game than what I'm seeing now. :(

A femme KI fan speaking what i feel. I'm gonna love you forever <3

Yeah, i had this chat with a friend recently and we agreed that not having KI3 would be better than seeing what we're seeing....

http://www.oocities.org/timessquare/galaxy/2153/images/ki2_jagb.jpg into http://images.wikia.com/killerinstinct/images/b/b2/Killer_Instinct_(Xbox_One)_-_Jago_Artwork_3.jpg 0.o

A femme KI fan speaking what i feel. I'm gonna love you forever <3

Yeah, i had this chat with a friend recently and we agreed that not having KI3 would be better than seeing what we're seeing....

http://www.oocities.org/timessquare/galaxy/2153/images/ki2_jagb.jpg into http://images.wikia.com/killerinstinct/images/b/b2/Killer_Instinct_(Xbox_One)_-_Jago_Artwork_3.jpg 0.o

I dunno. I think shirtless underwear on face Jago is doing it for me. Makes me really take it seriously.

I dunno. I think shirtless underwear on face Jago is doing it for me. Makes me really take it seriously.

Going off underwear-faced-Not-Jago, I'm expecting Orchid to look like a drag queen.

Bugger knows what they'll do to Spinal too because if Glacius, Not-Jago, and Sabrewulf look that big then Spinal is gonna look really out of place with him being so skinny. Fulgore will probably also look like Master Chief

Cfrock

Keep it strong
I kind of was anticipating it because I knew the new Rare would **** SOMETHING that was dear to us oldbie Rare fans, but it was still shocking

I didn't what to expect when they said "historic rare ip", ok so I barely played the old KI games, but I am a Rare fan,(The reason i wanted an Xbox is because of Rare games).

Rare's already butchered Conker, Perfect Dark, and Banjo Kazooie, why should Killer Instinct be any different?

Rare aren't the ones developing this game. A number of Rare employees are 'advising' the development of the new game but the actual development is being handled by Double Helix Games who made such 'classics' as Silent Hill: Homecoming and Battleship. So there's that.

The thing which I thought was the worst part of the whole announcement was the fact that, for years now, multiple Rare employees have said they'd love to make a new Killer Instinct game. Microsoft eventually decide that Killer Instinct will be revived and they don't let Rare, who actually wanted to make it themselves, develop it. Double Helix have no experience of developing fighting games, which would go a long way to explaining why the game looks more like Street Fighter than Killer Instinct. There is nothing good about this for Killer Instinct fans. Nothing whatsoever.

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
Why is everyone so upset over KI ONE ! Do you not see the magnificence that this game is?! The business model is absolutely perfect for all consumers! Rare is putting in their hardest effort to develop this masterpiece! I do not see the resemblance between Killer Instinct and Street Fighter 4 whatsoever. Jago looks better than he ever did before - just look at his body! And Sabrewulf looks more like a wolf than he ever did!

Goodness gracious I cannot believe people would have disdain for this title!

:trollface:

[video=youtube;OQ7qUTk7PSA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OQ7qUTk7PSA[/video]

The theme is still intact though, sexy as it ever was!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom