• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Kids playing M rated games

mαrkαsscoρ

Mr. SidleInYourDMs
ZD Champion
Now it'd be pretty hypocritical of me to say that I'm against this, I mean heck I played through all the PS2 GTA games before I made it to middle school. Not to mention Vice City and San Andreas are just as nostalgic, if not more nostalgic than some of my GameCube games. That aside, I don't know if I'm completely on board w/ this idea either. Though I guess it mostly depends on the kind of game it is and how old the kid. I mean I was able to handle San Andreas at like 8 or 9, but that might not be the case w/ other children. There's also the fact that w/ the modern consoles, things can tend to look more graphic than they did in older consoles.
What are your thoughts?

Last edited:

Dio

~ It's me, Dio!~
To me OOT looked real when I was a kid. I don't think new graphics would make such a big difference as to how a violent or scary game is percieved.

As for kids playing M rated games. It all depends on the individual as to what they can handle. Those who have difficulty differentiating fiction from reality shouldn't be playing violent games but a child who can understand and make the distinction should have no problems.

I used to play M rated games as a young kid. I wasn't allowed to but when I went to friends houses I did anyway. It was great fun doing things I shouldn't. I knew the difference between films, games and the real world. I loved chainsawing people up on GTA but I have never done that in real life.

funnier6

Courage~
It really depends on what it's rated M for if you ask me, I was playing halo when I was six and it was really just mild gore and mild language and tbh I can think of several pg movies that are much worse than that.

So if it's rated M for violence it depends on your tolerance I suppose but that really doesn't affect most people. If it's for something like drugs or extreme profanity I don't think kids should play it.

Link Floyd

ᵒⁿ ᵗʰᵉ ʳᵘⁿ
It's up to the parents and the kids. I grew up playing M rated games but they weren't anything too bad. Simple FPS's, that weren't very graphic at all. So it really depends on the content of the game and what the kid can tolerate.

Reactions: Dio

athenian200

Circumspect
a place of settlement, activity, or residence.
I'm sort of against it, but then again I was scared by Ocarina of Time as a kid, and certain kinds of content make me sick to my stomach even now at age 29/30, so I'm probably not as resilient as the kind of people that would want to play them anyway.

I do kind of dislike the idea that non-M rated games that aren't full of gore and nudity are "baby games," though, and the fact that the games are labeled as "Mature" makes them think they're more mature for liking those kind of games. Which is, ironically, kind of an immature attitude. Some people just don't want to see that kind of stuff in their games even if they're older.

The one thing I question, though... is whether age is really the best way to decide what someone can handle. I mean, there might be someone in their 20s who would get traumatized by gore or sexually explicit content, and there might be a teenager who doesn't get affected by it at all. Sure, we have to concede that once someone is old enough they can choose for themselves, but beyond that, I don't think age is the right focus.

I think game advisories should be based on the specific content. Maybe we would have game ratings like "V" for violent content, "S" for sexual content, and "L" for foul language. A green letter for V, S, and L would mean that the game doesn't contain much or any of these things. A yellow letter for any of them would mean it contains a moderate amount but nothing extreme. A red letter would mean you need to be pretty psychologically resilient towards such things in order to handle that dimension of the game.

And having three separate ratings would allow people to only avoid red letters in the dimension that bothers them specifically, rather than having to assume all M-rated games will affect them the same way. It would also remove the sense that being able to handle it and liking such things makes you "mature," and that getting into those kind of games is a mark of growing up, or that sticking with Mario because you don't like to see violence and sex is a sign of immaturity, etc.

Last edited:
if kids are too stupid to get it they should be pulled out of school, taken away from their parents, and put to work by the government.

Misty

Ronin
When speaking on this topic in anything, movies, music, books, games, etc. I sorta have to disclose that my parents didn't really pull any punches or put down rules about what we could watch as very very young children. I mean to the point where most parents who hear about the stuff I was watching as a little girl are horrified by the prospect. (Who shows a little girl terminator, trainspotting, and the mummy?) So I know that I'm essentially very biased, but they never really minded much about that stuff when we were young.

To speak for the little girl I was, I adored the terminator. I'd watch it almost weekly and I liked it very much indeed. I recently rewatched it with my little brother only to find that it contains a lot more sex than the zero sex I recall. It also is way more given to brutality and gore than I ever remember. And I still can tell you what five year old me would have summarized the movie as: it's a movie about a bad robot who is played by a guy with a funny voice chasing after a very brave girl who is kinda terrible at fighting robots and a guy who comes from the future. Oh right, the robot is also from the future and something about the entire human race's future is at stake and it's pretty cool and I like the music and the fighting is neat, but not too scary. Really, if you'd asked me as an adult until this most recent watching, I would have told you it contained zero nudity, zero swearing, zero sex, and pretty mild violence.

And I realize, this is because I think most adults get their jollies up about sex, swearing, violence, and nudity...but to most children that stuff is very very banal or boring. And it makes a lot of sense why.

Take Nudity, most little children regularly see their parents naked because they need constant supervision and their parents still need showers and to dress. They have no shame about their own nudity and often will bathe with others or just run around starkers like it is no big deal.

Why would seeing another human naked be anything at all to speak of to a young child? That's a conceit of adulthood that boys and girls shouldn't be naked.

The same can equally be said of violence. Only adults believe violence does not solve problems. Any toddler knows if you hit the block or the gate hard enough it will fall. They know there is a real satisfaction in clocking someone who has made them mad. The idea it is wrong is usually something that has to be trained into them or develops over time.

Swearing also isn't that fascinating because all words are new and interesting. Why would saying **** be any more interesting than terminator to a little girl? They both get shouted lots by angry people.

And while sex is probably the most interesting, they also have no context to appreciate it as something private or impolite. It's just about as useful as the talking scenes or a basic kiss.

Mostly, we probably literally won't remember much of any of this unless it is highlighted to us as something adults do.

And I recall the same about games. I also think this idea children cannot be put near frightening material is astonishingly stupid. I found tomb raider's wolves horrifying, but it didn't stop my father from giving me the opportunity to choose to play for myself. I still have nightmares about mummies, but I could have left when they were watching it.

So whether you're a soft-hearted kid or not, I just don't see a good reason that kids shouldn't get to play any game at all from Bioshock to Grand Theft Auto. And if you don't like those games upon exposure, go back to mario, who cares. At least you got to see it and give it a shot in a safe and loving environment.

I also tend to think exposure over time helps with stuff like this. I take it like my job visiting mums with new babies. At first it was weird to talk to a woman who wasn't my mother while she had her tatas all out and was feeding a baby, now I hardly notice or think anything of it.

if we wanted kids to be less afraid, I think normalizing this stuff a bit in a controlled and safe environment would go a long way.

Ninja

Well well well
if we wanted kids to be less afraid, I think normalizing this stuff a bit in a controlled and safe environment would go a long way.

This, for sure.

My parents did not shelter me much as a child, and if I wanted to pick up an M rated game, I was told to be responsible and to never replicate anything I saw and to think of them as what they are, just video games. I believe that with the right supervision and parenting, any child can safely pick up an M rated game and enjoy it responsibly.

I loved chainsawing people up on GTA but I have never done that in real life.
Or running over jay walkers. :P

Mellow Ezlo

Spoony Bard
Quake II was one of my favourite games as a kid. My parents always let us watch whatever movies they were watching, no matter how graphic the imagery was. I like to think I turned out pretty OK in the end.

Obviously, not everybody will be the same. Though I think exposing kids to sexually explicit and violent content at a young age makes them more tolerant of it later in life. I found whenever I watched movies with sex in them, I got really bored during the sex scenes and just wanted the scary guys to come back and start shooting again. Of course, nothing ever made me want to actually pick up a gun and start shooting people. I don't see a problem with kids playing M rated games or watching films with mature content in them as long as the parents make sure the kids know the difference between reality and make believe.

Jamie

Till the roof comes off, till the lights go out...
trans-pan-demi-ethno-christian-math-autis-genderfluid-cheesecake
With young kids I suppose it should be more or less up to the parents to determine the maturity level of the kid and how they might respond to something psychologically.

YIGAhim

Sole Survivor
Vote no.

I see too many kids who have grown into awful people (mostly just jerks) because they were allowed to drink Mountain Dew, play M games until midnight, and then wake up 2 hours late for school. That's just bad parenting.

If kids can HANDLE it, then SURE. Most can't, that's life. Then again, as a youngling, I wanted to play M games SO BAD, but my mom said no. She wouldn't let me do E10 games until I was 10. Hell, I couldn't do T games (Or M games) until I was 13.

mαrkαsscoρ

Mr. SidleInYourDMs
ZD Champion
To speak for the little girl I was, I adored the terminator. I'd watch it almost weekly and I liked it very much indeed. I recently rewatched it with my little brother only to find that it contains a lot more sex than the zero sex I recall. It also is way more given to brutality and gore than I ever remember. And I still can tell you what five year old me would have summarized the movie as: it's a movie about a bad robot who is played by a guy with a funny voice chasing after a very brave girl who is kinda terrible at fighting robots and a guy who comes from the future. Oh right, the robot is also from the future and something about the entire human race's future is at stake and it's pretty cool and I like the music and the fighting is neat, but not too scary. Really, if you'd asked me as an adult until this most recent watching, I would have told you it contained zero nudity, zero swearing, zero sex, and pretty mild violence.
you know that's actually really interesting b/c I've had something similar, so of course I mention I played GTA San Andreas as a kid, but if you were to ask me shortly after high school when was the first time I heard the n word, I probably would've said 9th grade or something b/c from high school onwards, that word gets thrown around like nobody's business, but when I replayed San Andreas when it came to onto PSN, I was actually really surprised by how much that word is used in the game, but more so the fact that I was 8 or 9 when I played it yet I barely remember the word being there at all

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom