• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Keys need to go

Kyru

WOAHHHH!
I hate to rain on the parade but keys are a bit essential. They force the player to interact with certain creatures/enemies and solve certain puzzles. Without keys all the doors would have to be cut off, like every time you fight a mini boss and the door gets blocked off from behind you, and only when you have fought everything or solved the puzzle the doors blockage would be removed otherwise you could just run through the dungeon without ever fighting a single monster (kinda lame).
I think that they should be trickier though, like more keys than doors with locks or even more locked doors than keys so that a few doors have side entrances to get through. This makes it more interesting for the player because why do I still have a key? Or I don't have enough keys to open this door so how do I get back there? It makes you question your actions and think/explore for the answer.

Iridescence

Emancipated Wind Fish
I'm not saying they're shouldn't be blockages but perhaps there are different ways to get rid of them. For example, melting ice, cooling lava, a sword upgrade that lets you cut through certain vines. I think Ocarina's first dungeon gave a great example. It wasn't about doors and keys. Link went down to the bottom floor purely by jumping from heights.

Jamie

Till the roof comes off, till the lights go out...
trans-pan-demi-ethno-christian-math-autis-genderfluid-cheesecake
Neither of those dungeons have keys :P

Forest Temple was the first dungeon in OoT with keys.
Really? Oops lol. But you get my point, weird dungeons that do have keys.

Spiritual Mask Salesman

CHIMer Dragonborn
Staff member
Comm. Coordinator
Site Staff
Keys are kind of a familar thing in the games. I see your point, they do seem odd in a place that is supposed to be hiding treasure (why not just set up a trap to kill a person rather than give them a puzzle to solve to get a key!). I actually wouldn't mind some dungeons without keys, but then again it isn't like I hate keys so much that I think they should never be used.

Well then for a moment, let's examine when it's good to use keys, when it makes sense in a holistic world.

Dungeons that are:
Goddess Trials for a Hero
Enemy encampments (like Forsaken Fortress or the bokoblin camp outside the Arbiter's Grounds)
Dungeons that are functional buildings that would conceivably have doors that lock (Arbiter's Grounds, Hyrule Castle, Ice Mansion)

Dungeons that, if G-King ruled the world, would not have keys:
Caves that are not main game dungeons
Natural formation dungeons (volcanos, tunnels, semi-natural waterways)
Ancient Temples designed to house something people shouldn't otherwise have access to (places protecting Fused Shadows)
Anything that is not designed to have people more through it as a course of its function

Now I'd like to examine some instances in Zelda games where there has been some game device that was used to inhibit your progress, but was not a key. This does not preclude things in dungeons with keys, just interesting progress restrictors.

Majora's Mask, Snowhead: a giant ice pillar prevents you from reaching other rooms. You have to break it to keep going.
Link's Awakening, Eagle's Tower: Stone Pillars that support the upper levels of the tower. You need to shuffle a wrecking ball about in order to take them down.
Majora's Mask, Stone Tower Temple: flip the room upside down to progress
Majora's Mask, Great Bay Temple: need to change the direction of water flow to make certain paths accessible
Shadow Temple: …practically… every damn thing in the temple doesn't want you to go forward.

Hmm… in fact, that last one seems like a good jumping off point. Let's discuss the Shadow Temple and its sister mini-dungeon, the Well. For its theme, the Well makes sense to have a few keys. It was a dungeon in truth, meant to keep and torture prisoners. It drips (both figuratively and literally) with lore and evidence of this purpose. It also has traps and redundancies in its construction. I'm sure you can all remember the basement full of poison water and Redeads. This makes sense, as it would create a situation where any escapee would likely be killed or recaptured. Missing tiles, terrifying monsters that would offer little threat to jailers (such as Like Likes), invisible passageways that hinder you if you are ignorant of their presence but that help you if you know where they are. Only a few scattered keys exist, and their placement and use make sense. For instance, the Lens of Truth is locked away, but it is an object with a conceivable future need. So it is hidden and protected, but in such a way that someone with the means and need can find and access it.

Meanwhile the Shadow Temple does not boast such utility. It is a place constructed solely for the execution of prisoners and traitors. It makes little sense to have keys, because there is never an instance that the people wandering it should be allowed to progress. So how could we fix that? Well, for starters the barrier for passage can be made almost wholly with redundancy traps. Miss a jump? down into the pit full of bad things. Climb out again and start over. Didn't use the Lens of Truth? Pit. Things. Climb out. Start over. No iron boots? PitThingsClimbAgain. Might it get frustrating? Maybe, if you keep effin' it up. But any more frustrating than spending a half hour backtracking around for a key? Who knows?

The second thing we can do to reinforce this keyless theme is the traps. I mean, Shadow Temple had tons of them but honestly, they were laughable. Spinning blades, spikes, falling things… and they all do like, half a heart? Did anyone ever feel genuinely threatened by them? I mean once you see the twin Reapers deal piffle damage, you can just run through it without really caring. Now, let's say those suckers dealt Iron Knuckle levels of damage… then I imagine after your first misstep they'll have your undivided attention. Turn more rooms into a gauntlet of traps and monsters that significantly inhibit your progress. Then give the player ways to get around those traps, and simply make bypassing them the element that allows passage, instead of bypassing them to find a key that allows passage.

Honestly after thinking about it, it seems that really great, immersive dungeons can be created not just by doing away with keys, but examining whether they make sense in the context of the dungeon's purpose. I'm curious as to what others think.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom