• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Ocarina of Time Kakariko Village Pronunciation

GerudoDesert

I love being gay.
I have had such a terrible time with this.. How do you actually pronounce Kakariko?!

[Please Note: If this has been posted before, please politely tell me. Thank You]

Unlucky Monkey

The Great King of Apes
This name was always strange to me. Because there is the word "Kaka" in it. Which in the german language means something like "Poo".

I pronounce Kakariko like it is written.

Got a problem with the pronunciation of Arbiters Grounds (Wüstenburg in german). But (judging by the Walkthrough of Caleb Simpson), the english word "Arbiter" has the same pronunciation as the german word "Arbeiter". Which means "Worker" in the english language. Anyway. Some places in Zelda got really strange names.

Jedizora

:right:
Kak-Ri-ko. I beleive that this is how nintendo pronocess it.

Last edited:
Alot of my ways to pronounce things come from my lower reading level when I first played through the game, (at like 7 years old) And they've just stuck.. so I say it, "Cack-Rack-Koo" which is obviously very wrong, but.. there you are.

I used to say Kak- uh- ree- koo when I was a little kid, but now I know that it's pronounced Kak- uh- REE- KO. I heard the big guys pronounce it this way, so yeah. The Japanese would probably say Kah-kah- ree- koh.

B

beyerballler54

I usually say it like coke-a-riku village. But that's just me.

Unlucky Monkey

The Great King of Apes
I've searched a little bit (thanks to big brother Google) for the correct pronunciation. And I've found the worst of the worst versions:

Top 5:

1: Kah-Kuh-Riy-Chow
2: Caw-kuh-ree-ko
3: Kuh-care-i-koh
4: cuh-care-i-co
5: KAH-kuh-REE-koh

I mean. C'mon. What's wrong with these guys? So it seems the right pronunciation is like I said earlier. It's pronounced as it is written (like 425 also mentioned). It is more easy for a german tongue.

From another Forum:

Number 3 is technically correct. Since Zelda was made in Japan, the name of the village seems to have remained intact from the original Japanese town -

カ カ リ コ
Ka Ka Ri Ko

If you know anything about the Japanese language, you'll know it's syllabary, which means that each base character is based on a syllable and not a single sound, always two.

Therefore, knowing how the language works, you can easily rule out that the Japanese would not pronounce it any other way than "Ka - Ka - Ri - Ko", written above in Katakana script.

The More You Know. :V

But there is also a spanish curse word, called: Caca Rica. Google translated it to "Rich Poop". Like the german word "Kaka" (a common word used by little boys).
So it seems like KaKaRiKo is correct. Any other constellation of this word only sounds scary.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom