• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Justifying the Connection Between Four Swords Adventures and Twilight Princess

Justac00lguy

BooBoo
The Timeline caused a lot of controversy among the fan base, which is sort of ironic, because the majority wanted an Official Timeline. Now there are people who were happy with the this chronological set of events being released, like myself, but there are still some rather strange placements and events.

The strangest, in my opinion, would be Four Swords Adventures. Now Timeline theorists, by general consensus, seemed to group the Four Swords games together, being The Minish Cap -> Four Swords -> Four Swords Adventures. This was done with good reason, all the games had basic connections with each other and they all linked together reasonably well. However, FSA wasn't grouped with its predecessors, it was instead placed on the Child Timeline, after the events of Twilight Princess. Now I'm going to try and at least get people thinking differently about this placement, as most seem to think negatively about it.

For one, a new Ganondorf is born, this isn't a simple reincarnation, this is very much a new Ganondorf. This makes sense as Ganondorf died at the end of TP, he wasn't sealed like he usually is, he was instead killed at the hands of the Master Sword. Now the rest seems hazy, but I found another connection which I think might switch people's opinions.

There are two significant things in my opinion which link heavily with TP -- this would be the Dark Mirror and the Dark Tribe. The Dark Mirror can straight away be linked to the Mirror of Twilight. Maybe I'm jumping to conclusions but let me explain. Look at this quote about the Dark Mirror:

Dampé (FSA) : Legends speak of a mirror in which a*Dark Tribe*was sealed away long ago. I understand it's supposed to be hidden now somewhere in the Forest of Light.
Sound familiar? Now the Interlopers were known as a "Dark Tribe", not officially, but they were heavily associated with such themes. The Interlopers were sealed within another Realm, a dark realm and through a Mirror. I may be making too much of an assumption here, but I think it's a reasonable connection. Nevertheless, I want to know your views on this, do you have any theories of your own that might link in?

ihateghirahim

The Fierce Deity
It's probably recycled ideas and symbolism. That's common in Zelda. Just look at the Mirror of twilight and the Time portals in SS. See a resemblance? Whether there is an actual connection in the timeline. is something I cannot say.

Justac00lguy

BooBoo
Maybe there's more than one mirror?
That's sort of what I'm thinking, of course it's a long shot, but there is some sort of connection there with the Dark Tribe and the Interlopers - just a similar back story and whatnot. Connections sometimes may be weak, but this one was hard to ignore for me. Just like the Gates of Time, I believe there is another Mirror hidden away, maybe it's connected the legend of the Dark Mirror, but this is borderline speculation.

Salem

SICK
That's sort of what I'm thinking, of course it's a long shot, but there is some sort of connection there with the Dark Tribe and the Interlopers - just a similar back story and whatnot. Connections sometimes may be weak, but this one was hard to ignore for me. Just like the Gates of Time, I believe there is another Mirror hidden away, maybe it's connected the legend of the Dark Mirror, but this is borderline speculation.
There's nothing in the Zelda lore that suggest NO, so we're free to speculate on the possibility on the two mirrors.

But however, the connection between the Dark Interlopers and Dark tribe mentioned in FSA is unclear, both are "dark" and have been sealed with a mirror, just like have you said in your OP. But other than all that, nothing is known.

Dimooshky

The Mauve Avenger
It's an odd game in regards to the timeline, it takes many things from many different games. However I think it's placed after TP due to Dampé's talks of a dark tribe linking to the Dark Interlopers of TP and the Dark Tribe responsible for Majora's Mask mentioned by the Happy Mask Salesman. As for mirrors, why shouldn't there be more than one special mirror? Link even has a hand-held one in ALttP.

Justac00lguy

BooBoo
There's nothing in the Zelda lore that suggest NO, so we're free to speculate on the possibility on the two mirrors.

But however, the connection between the Dark Interlopers and Dark tribe mentioned in FSA is unclear, both are "dark" and have been sealed with a mirror, just like have you said in your OP. But other than all that, nothing is known.
That's why I stated it's speculation beyond that ;)

Justac00lguy

BooBoo
(in response to TheBlueReptile)

It's really hard to make connections within this franchise, as Nintendo seem to make a lot of references here and there without any real care to establish a link between them. This is a big example in my opinion, while mirrors, or magical mirrors, may be a common theme, it stood out that this origin tale was very similar to what we know from Twilight Princess.

Fact is that it's a legend, and the even though we get told the legend by a witness in Twilight Princess, not much expansion was made by the Light Spirits. What exactly is the mirror? What was it actually built for? Well the game doesn't really expand up this; however, they a few mention that it's purpose was to send criminals to the "underworld" and it was even mentioned as a "cursed" mirror. Now I still believe the Twilight Realm is a cursed version of the Sacred Realm itself, which I've tried to bring to light in a few threads, but I guess it's hard to really put a finger on the mirror itself.

This quote right here, seems to tell of the tale in, somewhat, more detail:
[ilquote=White Maiden]"Long ago, a dark tribe invaded Hyrule. They were defeated and imprisoned within the mirror. The tribe's mirror prison was then secreted away and hidden in the forest temple to sever its connection to this world."[/ilquote]

Of course they seem like two identical origin stories, this isn't a common tale, usually it's a tale of conflict via war or an invasion from Ganon etc. This just seems to point out a Dark Tribe. It's pretty ambiguous, as you have mentioned, but with its similarities, I can't help but link it with the Interloper conflict. I know there's evidence against, but it just seems like too much of a coincidence, maybe it was a coincidence or a reason for Nintendo to place this game here.

Salem

SICK
^For some reason, I though the Deku scrubs from the lost woods in FSA is actually the "dark" tribe.....

Now that I think about it, trapping the interlopers and FSA's "dark tribe" in the mirrors and putting Ganondorf in the Sacred Realm is like an elaborate way of putting them in a jail.

Regardless if there being a connection between the "Dark" Tribe and the interlopers, Hyrule's history tends to repeat itself through similar circumstances. Some greedy group of people(or one person;)) seek the Triforce, this person or group gets punished by being trapped in another realm/dimension.

Justac00lguy

BooBoo
TheBlueReptile said:
Hmm, I seem to recall quite a bit of backstory on the mirror being given to us. For example, Midna says of the purpose for the mirror:*

"I know now the reason the goddesses left the Mirror of Twilight in this world... They left it because it was their design that we should meet."

Which is backed up by a line one of the sages utters upon arriving at the Mirror:*
"At the command of the goddesses, we sages have guarded the Mirror of Twilight since ancient times."

By the end of Twilight Princess this purpose has been fulfilled. Not only did it make sense for Midna to shatter the mirror, the Goddesses would have no longer needed a link between the two worlds. Thus, surely if the Dark Mirror were a similar gateway to the Twilight Realm, that would have been dealt with too by the Twili if not the Goddesses?
The one of problem I have with that first quote is the fact that at that time of creation, the Interlopers, or early ancestors, were a part of Hyrule itself and not the Twilight Realm. Maybe the Goddesses envisioned this, but I find that slightly speculative. Before the Interlopers themselves, this Realm was quoted as a "Cursed Realm", and it was used to imprison criminals and whatnot. Now i have my theory about the formulation of the Twilight Realm, but like you said, it's best to leave that out of here.

So from what I can see the only purpose of this Mirror was to imprison criminals, I'm slightly sceptical of this, it seems all too much trouble to go ahead and do such a thing, why not just lock them up in the first place?

TheBlueReptile said:
Again, we have a discrepancy between stories here. The interlopers attempted to control the Sacred Realm, not Hyrule. Similarly they were driven away by the Light Spirits and the Goddesses and not by the opposing Hylian forces as this quote would indicate. As such, I wouldn't agree that they seem like two identical stories.*

Also, whilst it may be easy to dismiss the words of Dampe as legend, surely the words of a maiden - a descendant from the sages - would be correct to the letter regarding matters of this kind? As such it's harder for me to dismiss these discrepancies.
Maybe they are not completely identical, but I haven't heard is such a tale before and they seem too alike to completely dismiss. Taking this as a simple reference rather than an established connection, it could have been used to seal away remnants of the Interlopers, or possibly another Dark Tribe, but I have yet to have heard of "Dark" Tribe who are evil.

This mirror does seem to have differences to the Mirror of Twilight, for example, there doesn't seem to be any beyond, it's just referenced as a prison of sorts - maybe there is a beyond or it could in fact be linked to the Dark World featured in that game. This Mirror also seems to serve the purpose of weapon of sorts producing Shadow Links - as it reflects the polar opposite, or something along those lines if I recall. However, we actually saw this kind of happen with the Mirror of Twilight, being the actual shards. We saw Yeta get possessed by the power and it seemed to bring the darkness out in her - a contradiction to her previous friendly nature.

I think they could be linked, maybe one of the same, but it's a bit too far fetched to just say that, thinking about it, it does seem more like a simple reference. Maybe the Mirror was created for similar reasons as the Mirror of Twilight - that's about as far as I can go with this theory though.

Before HH I put FSA after TP as it was the only place where the game made sense to go. I don't understand why some people think it's strange that it ends up there. Where else could it go? Actually I had another theory is that it took place before LoZ so I could have a reason why blue pig Ganon is in LoZ ;)

TMLink76240

Travis Mask
Watch this video, I say this scene was meant to connect TP with FS and FSA. *WARNING: TWILIGHT PRINCESS SPOILER ALERT*
[video=youtube_share;VKYyh8zi3aI]http://youtu.be/VKYyh8zi3aI[/video]
One of my newly-found, not that thought-out, theories: There were three Link's who came fro the origianl(green) Link when the Four Sword was drawn. What if the three ditched their original leader(green Link) and went on their own quest for each piece of the triforce? What if this Link, too, was trying to obtain the triforce? Who's to say that courage is always for good?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom