• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Spoiler Just Finished!

What an artistically beautiful game.(Im not just talking graphics)So what's Link gonna do next? Buy a 3ds and play ocarina of time again! After playing through this one i think it's definitely time for a Zelda movie

Spiritual Mask Salesman

CHIMer Dragonborn
Staff member
Comm. Coordinator
Site Staff
Okay, I think we are a long way from a zelda movie, anyway whats the point of this post this is more of like something you randomly post in a thread that someone else posted, you should have atleast went on elaborating on why you think there should be a zelda movie.

allrite fair enough. i may be showing my age here but back in the day we were treated to a decent super mario movie, then we got the wizard. with todays technology i think now is the time. after seeing lord of the rings, i think a great movie could be made that looks real. maybe they could use it as an opportunity to tell the official story, set the timeline strait, etc. i just think it would be awesome to see link and zelda stick it to gannondorf on the big screen one day

TrueChaos

Defender of Hyrule
did you say we had a decent super mario movie?? must have missed it, the only one i saw was the Bob Hoskin one

MW7

MW7

Why would you want to skip them on your first playthrough?
Surely you'd want to know what was going on...

That makes sense but still why would they take options away that were in the previous console release? You're right that the first playthrough doesn't make a difference for the vast majority of people, but I personally would have skipped some things especially at the beginning since I did spoil myself on Zelda falling to the surface so I had the gist of what was going to happen. I anticipated the opening of the game to be long, and I wanted to get to actual gameplay ASAP so my first instinct was to press every button possible trying to skip the cutscenes as soon as they started. I guess the more valid complaint is how you can only skip cutscenes in hero mode. I was an idiot and assumed that as soon as you completed a file that it would let you skip cutscenes in both modes. Because of this assumption I didn't copy a blank hero mode file so now my third playthrough (which is a speedrun) I have to watch 100 minutes of stuff I don't want to see. I think an option to skip cutscenes from the start would have been logical though Nintendo since Twilight Princess let you, and Skyward Sword itself let you in Hero Mode so they already had it set up to do so.

Skyward Sword had over 100 minutes of cutscenes so it practically had a movie within it (http://www.zeldainformer.com/2011/09/skyward-sword-to-contain-100-minutes-of-cutscenes.html). It detracted from my experience, and I'm wondering why you could skip cutscenes in the first playthrough of Twilight Princess but not in Skyward Sword. Obviously I'm in the minority with this opinion, but seriously why not?

You might want quit Zelda if you're not in it for the story. It seems to me that strong story elements will be central in future titles; cutscenes are essential. This is why I believe they omitted the option to skip them during the first playthrough in SS, but made the option available the second time around. Strong story elements seem to be becoming a rarity in recent video games, which is the reason I like the Zelda series, because it appears to keep them alive. The cutscenes in Skyward Sword were not terrible, and I don't understand why you'd want to skip them. I personally like to know what the heck is going on and why... I guess some fans are in it only for the hack and slash and general violent aspect.

MW7

You might want quit Zelda if you're not in it for the story. It seems to me that strong story elements will be central in future titles; cutscenes are essential. This is why I believe they omitted the option to skip them during the first playthrough in SS, but made the option available the second time around. Strong story elements seem to be becoming a rarity in recent video games, which is the reason I like the Zelda series, because it appears to keep them alive. The cutscenes in Skyward Sword were not terrible, and I don't understand why you'd want to skip them. I personally like to know what the heck is going on and why... I guess some fans are in it only for the hack and slash and general violent aspect.

Based on pre-release information it was general knowledge that Zelda would be kidnapped/lost to the surface and that you'd have to go get her. That was enough for me to know, and I just wanted uninterrupted gameplay. I'm also not big on combat in Zelda games actually, and I'm more in it for puzzles and exploration. For instance the parts of Twilight Princess I enjoyed most outside of dungeons were the lantern caves, the puzzle to get the Master Sword, and the ice block puzzle cave in the field north of Hyrule Castle. I love the challenge of dungeons, but in a way they are just lots of puzzles and exploration in one place. Finally I like certain kinds of sidequests like those found in Majora's Mask, Wind Waker, and Skyward Sword (meaning the Bombers' Notebook quests, lots of events on Windfall Island, and the Gratitude Crystals).

I guess you're right that the direction of the series isn't for me really, and honestly an old Professor Layton game I bought this year was almost as enjoyable as Skyward Sword for me. That series has some weird cutscenes but at least they're short.

Last edited:
i see MW7s point. there was a few times when Fi would start to talk i wanted to skip through, and the beginning really drug me down as well, but i knew it would eventually deliver the beautiful story i've come to expect. i was joking about the mario movie btw.

Based on pre-release information it was general knowledge that Zelda would be kidnapped/lost to the surface and that you'd have to go get her. That was enough for me to know, and I just wanted uninterrupted gameplay. I'm also not big on combat in Zelda games actually, and I'm more in it for puzzles and exploration. For instance the parts of Twilight Princess I enjoyed most outside of dungeons were the lantern caves, the puzzle to get the Master Sword, and the ice block puzzle cave in the field north of Hyrule Castle. I love the challenge of dungeons, but in a way they are just lots of puzzles and exploration in one place. Finally I like certain kinds of sidequests like those found in Majora's Mask, Wind Waker, and Skyward Sword (meaning the Bombers' Notebook quests, lots of events on Windfall Island, and the Gratitude Crystals).

I guess you're right that the direction of the series isn't for me really, and honestly an old Professor Layton game I bought this year was almost as enjoyable as Skyward Sword for me. That series has some weird cutscenes but at least they're short.

Well, I guess that's understandable. I've looked back and read a point that you made about the scene-skipping option's availability is TP. It doesn't seem to make sense that it wasn't included in SS, when that is taken into consideration. Perhaps it would not have hurt had they implemented the option. However, I'd attribute its omission to Nintendo probably wanting the player to become immersed into the story. In a way, SS may have been a sort of means to test a new story-heavy direction for the series. I didn't find them to be disruptive in any way, though, seeing as how they flow mellifluously with the gameplay. In fact, I don't think I have ever played a video with disruptive cutscenes. I'm not saying they don't exist, but...

MW7

i see MW7s point. there was a few times when Fi would start to talk i wanted to skip through, and the beginning really drug me down as well, but i knew it would eventually deliver the beautiful story i've come to expect. i was joking about the mario movie btw.
Haha I figured you were. I would say relative to Mario, Zelda is much closer to movie material. I'm glad you enjoyed the game though, and just so everyone knows I did enjoy the game as well. It's just that without criticism there is no way to glimpse what Zelda games could be.
Well, I guess that's understandable. I've looked back and read a point that you made about the scene-skipping option's availability is TP. It doesn't seem to make sense that it wasn't included in SS, when that is taken into consideration. Perhaps it would not have hurt had they implemented the option. However, I'd attribute its omission to Nintendo probably wanting the player to become immersed into the story. In a way, SS may have been a sort of means to test a new story-heavy direction for the series. I didn't find them to be disruptive in any way, though, seeing as how they flow mellifluously with the gameplay. In fact, I don't think I have ever played a video with disruptive cutscenes. I'm not saying they don't exist, but...
That might be it about it being a test of how story heavy a Zelda game can be. I would agree that they weren't disruptive because they came at logical points, but what dustinb12 said reminded me of the disruptions of Fi that have been irking me. Some things she must point out are absurdly self-explanatory like boss doors and repeating what an NPC said. The bug/treasure notifications interrupted me in the middle of fighting at least a dozen times as well. It's just that there could be options to turn some things off or skip things to make the game more appealing.

Maybe Nintendo could make a retro style Zelda game with little to no emphasis on story kind of like how they released New Super Mario Bros. Wii and Donkey Kong Country Returns. There's definitely an audience for games like those with NSMB Wii selling over 24 million copies and DKCR selling over 5 million (http://gamrreview.vgchartz.com/game/35076/new-super-mario-bros-wii/ and http://gamrreview.vgchartz.com/game/45674/donkey-kong-country-returns/). I think I remember JuicieJ mentioned something a while ago (after I kept pestering him) about how he wouldn't mind the 3ds Zelda to be more in the style of OOT or ALTTP (I'm not sure exactly what he said though). I think that would be a terrific idea because the handhelds have less capacity for telling a story anyway. If they just throw in the towel from the start, they could focus entirely on gameplay for future releases on the 3ds and beyond. Obviously then they would keep expanding the story for console releases.

Also at both dustinb12 and Wolf Sage, thank you both for being extremely open-minded. I know I get really carried away sometimes.

That might be it about it being a test of how story heavy a Zelda game can be. I would agree that they weren't disruptive because they came at logical points, but what dustinb12 said reminded me of the disruptions of Fi that have been irking me. Some things she must point out are absurdly self-explanatory like boss doors and repeating what an NPC said. The bug/treasure notifications interrupted me in the middle of fighting at least a dozen times as well. It's just that there could be options to turn some things off or skip things to make the game more appealing.

In Bold: You present a valid point about Fi. There were times when her notifications interrupted the flow of gameplay for me as well. Seriously, did I really need to be told the name of an insect several times? lol There should have definitely been an option to toggle and/or disable notifications; at least in certain parts of the game. From my perspective it does not seem like a difficult function to implement.

Maybe Nintendo could make a retro style Zelda game with little to no emphasis on story kind of like how they released New Super Mario Bros. Wii and Donkey Kong Country Returns. There's definitely an audience for games like those with NSMB Wii selling over 24 million copies and DKCR selling over 5 million (http://gamrreview.vgchartz.com/game/35076/new-super-mario-bros-wii/ and http://gamrreview.vgchartz.com/game/45674/donkey-kong-country-returns/). I think I remember JuicieJ mentioned something a while ago (after I kept pestering him) about how he wouldn't mind the 3ds Zelda to be more in the style of OOT or ALTTP (I'm not sure exactly what he said though). I think that would be a terrific idea because the handhelds have less capacity for telling a story anyway. If they just throw in the towel from the start, they could focus entirely on gameplay for future releases on the 3ds and beyond. Obviously then they would keep expanding the story for console releases.

Yeah, that might just work. I'm more in favor of story-heavy Zelda titles, but that doesn't mean that I am against titles with a more OoT-style approach with regards to plot-pacing and story. I'd welcome such a title. Hopefully, the next handheld title will employ said approach while adhering to a solid story, but not too extensively. If such turns out to be the case, the next console Zelda title would likely be story intensive anyway, as you implied in the last sentence.

Also at both dustinb12 and Wolf Sage, thank you both for being extremely open-minded. I know I get really carried away sometimes.

Your posts are among the very reasons I log onto ZD. [noparse]:)[/noparse] Oh, and you're welcome. :yes:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom