• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Jump Button?

Do you want a jump button in Zelda Wii

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

• Don't care

• Total voters

Jupiter

Bringer of Jollity
Absolutely not. Not being able to jump gives us more of a challenge, and I like that.

Please explain.

Doesn't it add an extra element of difficulty? If the game was designed with jumping in mind it could become another thing you would need to think about for (1) combat, (2) challenges, (3) puzzles.

Absolutely yes.

Austin

Austin
Absolutely not. Not being able to jump gives us more of a challenge, and I like that.

Not to gang up on you, but I disagree with this as well. See my post above. If there is a jumping option, the game will be made in such a way to accomodate it. That'll prevent it from being too easy.

Jupiter

Bringer of Jollity
No no no! No jump button ever! zelda games are good without it. Except for the gameboy ones.

Um, why is it good for handheld games, but not on a console? That just sounds like bias for staying in one's stodgy old ways.

Now that E3 is upon us, I want to bring this up again, what do you think the chances are that there will be a jump button?

0%
10%
50%
90%

?

My guess has gone up the more I think about it...I am putting it at 70%

J

jono000

You guys want to know if there will be.... NO THERE WONT and do we even know that the guy who started the thread has even completed any zelda games we dont do we the rocs feather was good in the 2d games becouse we coudnt really see him jump, to add a finer point on it there wont because to stick with a tradition is life get used to it and if you want a jump button make a fan game just dont mess with what is right!

I mean there has been about overall 20 zelda games only VERY VERY FEW have the rocs feather and why is change neccisary, it is not.

The guy who made this thread proberly gets a new phone every 3 months because he/she LOVES CHANGE!!!!

Jupiter

Bringer of Jollity
do we even know that the guy who started the thread has even completed any zelda games we dont do we

Hey! "the guy who started the thread"--that's me!

Now, a note to the Mods on this site, I have been chided for making arguments that are a little too strong, but I do hope that as I respond to this it is noted that I am responding to something that is very strongly worded, and directed at me. It's a lot more troublesome than things I have written (even though jono000's comment really should not be a problem if you ask me!), imo, and more personal than I will be in response to it.

So, how do you know that I have even completed any Zelda games?? Well, your first clue should be that I am commenting on a Zelda fansite forum page. Then you could also take note of all the specifics of the games I have referenced in this very thread. FWIW, I have played through all of the console Zelda's at least twice, some of them many more times than that (LoZ, AoL, ALttP, OoT, and TP I have played through 4-5 times). I've played most of the handheld Zelda's too. Further, I am active on PureZC under the same screen name working on making my own modified fan game and contributing pixel art for other Zelda fan game designers (here is some of my Zelda Pixel art, my game is still in the works.)

Now that that's out of the way, I have a question: why would you not want a jump button? There are, so far as I can tell, two answers that I get to this:

1.) Just because. That's the way it has always been, so keep it the same.

2.) There aren't enough buttons on the remote.

#1 is not really an argument. "Just because that's the way it has always been" is not an evaluation of the pros and cons, it is just stubbornness and an unwillingness to be imaginative. It's like a parent telling a toddler to brush her/his teeth "because I said so". That's not a reason, even though it may be right. A reason is, because it will keep your pearly whites pearly white and prevent halitosis. So, I'm sorry, but saying because it has always been that way it should stay the same is a really weak argument. It's a non-argument and doesn't really warrant a response.

#2 on the other hand is a totally legit argument, but I don't think it is true. We already have the ability do a forward roll with the most recent control scheme, why not replace that with the ability to jump? Forward rolls are what my little sister did on her first day of "tumbling" practice when she was 5 years old--it looks laughably silly in the context of an action adventure game, if you ask me. So there is a button available if you get rid of the useless forward roll.

Now as for reasons why I would want a jump button, I have listed them many times in this thread, but one more time:

1. Puzzles.
As CZG has said "Maybe the puzzles were downgraded all this time because you couldn't jump?" All this does is add another element that could be used from time to time.

2. Combat.
You could jump and point your sword up to stab something above you. You could jump off a ledge and point your sword down to stab an enemy below you. You could jump backwards but swing your sword at the same time to deflect a magic attack . You could jump over a ground based attack from an enemy (like a boss that swipes his tail at you or shoots fire on the ground...) There would be a lot of possibilities besides the few repetitive options that get programmed in for you.

3. To not look ridiculous.
If I can jump Link should be able to jump. How stupid looking is it that you have to walk up to a waist high ledge to climb on it? How goofy is it that you can forward roll all the time but not jump?

The guy who made this thread proberly gets a new phone every 3 months because he/she LOVES CHANGE!!!!

*Googles "proberly" on his 3 year old iPhone.*

I'm almost depressed about how convincing Jupiter's argument has been for me. I've been pretty adamantly opposed to having a jumping feature in the Zelda series. I still feel it would be a bit weird, but in a certain kind of circumstance, with realistic jump height (rather than Link being able to jump his own height or higher), it could work out.

Another story, however, is how likely we'll see it. Thinking with it in the confines of Zelda Wii, I actually highly doubt it. Good or not, that change adds another layer of complexity to the gameplay. You have to press a button with excellent timing instead of running to the edge in the right direction. Depth isn't bad, but Miyamoto sounded like he was promising the game would be simpler and easier. I don't see it happening. I could be wrong but that's my assessment.

I could accept jumping, as it can add a lot to the gameplay. I do NOT want Zelda to turn into a platformer, but mild platforming at points could be acceptable. Perhaps something like you'd see in Ico?

Maxxxers

Fanboy
It would be cool. I guess. I really dont think it would work on Wii Motion Plus, or with 3D Zelda at all. On a 2D Zelda it would work

Austin

Austin
It would be cool. I guess. I really dont think it would work on Wii Motion Plus, or with 3D Zelda at all. On a 2D Zelda it would work

I get the reason behind the Wii Motion Plus, but why would it work in 2D Zelda and not 3D Zelda?

If they don't have a jump button then don't had a item that jumps for instance the feather come on! a feather can make link jump? Now thats just weird!

MOTLEYlink

...No your other left
I do not think they will add a jump button to LOZwii, it seems to be tradition just like they will never make him talk... Sure he jumps in SSB but thats because everone else jumps.

Well, I think auto-jump is one of the things that makes Zelda.....Zelda. If they took that away, Zelda would just have on less thing separating it from your typical action/adventure game.

Austin

Austin
Well, I think auto-jump is one of the things that makes Zelda.....Zelda. If they took that away, Zelda would just have on less thing separating it from your typical action/adventure game.

Zelda is unique enough to remain seperate from other action/adventure games without the presence of something as insignificant as an auto-jump. Honestly, if it was a major factor, they'd have much bigger issues on their hands.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom