• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Jump Button?

Do you want a jump button in Zelda Wii

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

• Don't care

• Total voters
A Jump button would not work. NEVER. Not in 3-D Zelda. NEVER. It's about realism and all you need to jump over a cliff is to push forward on that damn stick. You don't need a button to go upwards in your jump. You just need to run and weeee over you go. Anyone who thinks you need a jump button or roc's cape is a moron. It has it's place in 2-D Zelda. Not in 3-D. Jumping comes with interaction.

Let me ask you this.

With all the armor and equipment Link has how in the hell would he be able to jump anyway? Especially like Mario who can jump well over his own height. They're completely different.

END.

(Sorry if I offended anyone but my opinion on this is very strong on how I view Zelda games should be done)

CZG

I don't think so. I don't feel offended, we all have our different opinions. Besides, I don't produce Zelda, nor any other games.

Not being able to jump doesn't really sound realistic in my opinion. You try running into a knee-high block. I don't think you'll be very satisfied with the outcome.

Let me ask you this: How on earth did Link carry a raft in his pockets? And still run around and whipe enemies of the screen... And...

Mario (Mario 64, haven't played a newer one yet) is a good 3D game. Period. Why would Link miss out on all the action. Don't worry, Zelda is not a platform game and the level designs will not be so horrible. Like in M64, the rainbow stage and such are not very popular for a 3D Zelda game, but the first few levels would work wonders.

Maybe it would not add to the puzzle part of the gameplay, but I think jumping has definately some good potential to increase the action and tactics involved in battles. Especially since everyone (that played the Zelda games ten times or more), starts complaining about the difficulty....

If you said something about boats trains a few years ago, you'd be shot Zelda fans.
Just like making a game 3D in the first place. People who detested AoL, didn't think that 3D would be any good either.

Jupiter

Bringer of Jollity
A Jump button would not work. NEVER. Not in 3-D Zelda. NEVER. It's about realism and all you need to jump over a cliff is to push forward on that damn stick. You don't need a button to go upwards in your jump. You just need to run and weeee over you go. Anyone who thinks you need a jump button or roc's cape is a moron. It has it's place in 2-D Zelda. Not in 3-D. Jumping comes with interaction.

Let me ask you this.

With all the armor and equipment Link has how in the hell would he be able to jump anyway? Especially like Mario who can jump well over his own height. They're completely different.

END.

(Sorry if I offended anyone but my opinion on this is very strong on how I view Zelda games should be done)

If you read through the comments made on this thread before yours you will see your points being torn apart.

1. How would link jump with all his equipment on?
Well, ummm, he already does. You even point out that he does! As you say, "Jumping comes with interaction." So you're contradicting yourself on the rather weak realism argument. Further in all 3D Zeldas Link jumps and--even does backflips!--when you Z-target in a battle. That's not to mention Zelda II. If its OK to jump in 2D why is it unrealistic in 3D? Just as pots shouldn't call kettles black...I'd refrain from calling anyone a moron for a while.

I can jump anytime I want, if you want Zelda to be realistic then Link should be able to jump anytime too.

Jumping > Rolling. END.

The combat possibilities would be very intriguing. You could jump over ground attacks, you could jump back and stab forward, you could upthrust and downthrust...

Once in a while there could be a new wrinkle added to a puzzle.

As CZG pointed out, people who are afraid of things because they have a particular idea about Zelda games have been wrong in the past. People like you would have said NEVER to the side-scrolling Adventure of Link. NEVER to 3D Zeldas. NEVER to the cell-shaded Wind Waker. NEVER to the steamboat and the train. Even if some of those have been mistakes Nintendo has done them all and made them work. And all those ideas were radical. Being able to jump is not radical. Even without the Triforce of Courage I am brave enough jump IRL.

Linkette

Heroine of Time
I just don't see the need of jumping in Zelda games. Automatic jumping seemed fine making you focus on the enemy combat and puzzle solving. And yup, with jumping Link would end up just like Mario.

Linky

King of Twilight
Jumping would ruin Zelda completely because then you could just jump up on high cliffs that you couldn't reach before and there would be no intriguing puzzle to find out a different way to get up or find a magical block. Also it would be more like mario or metriod when you need to have somewhat skill when jumping so you don't overjump or fall to death while not jumping good enough. Jump button is just a no it would ruin what keeps zelda different from other nintendo games

Jupiter

Bringer of Jollity
Jumping would ruin Zelda completely because then you could just jump up on high cliffs that you couldn't reach before and there would be no intriguing puzzle to find out a different way to get up or find a magical block. Also it would be more like mario or metriod when you need to have somewhat skill when jumping so you don't overjump or fall to death while not jumping good enough. Jump button is just a no it would ruin what keeps zelda different from other nintendo games

You can't honestly believe this. I can see just not thinking it is necessary (it's obviously not necessary) or worrying about not having enough buttons on the controls. But you can't honestly believe that the lack of jumping is what makes Zelda different from other Nintendo games. That's the thing that makes Zelda Zelda: not jumping?

All of you worry warts who think that jumping would turn Zelda into Mario, let me ask you: if you took jumping out of Mario would that turn Mario into Zelda? That's what your logic would indicate...

Just because you could jump a few feet does not mean you could just jump up to an cliff. How would it ruin any puzzle? If there is a place you the designers don't want you to get to they can just make it a little higher. All of the puzzles that require block pushing, torch lighting, magic, music, etc. they would all work exactly the same.

Also, Link jumps in numerous Zelda games already, so it is not somehow key to Zelda that Link does not jump.

If you, my flat footed friend, think the thing that makes Zelda uniques is that you can't jump, well, I think you are missing out on quite a bit.

Austin

Austin
A jump button would not compromise the series in any way. "It would be like Mario" is a weak argument, simply having the ability to jump isn't enough to make it a Mario game. You can jump in Halo and Kingdom Hearts, but are those games anything like Mario? No, they're not. After getting the Roc's feather in OoS you could jump, and there are those short side-scrolling bits where you have to tumble through obstacles, I always found them fun. A short break from puzzles and sword combat. Further more, I thought we wanted change in the Zelda series? A few platforming sections would add something new to the series without totally rewriting it. I'm not saying that Link should be able to do crazy Prince of Persia cartwheels off the damn ceiling, but just a few acrobatics wouldn't hurt anyone. I also feel like this would free up dungeon design a bit, they wouldn't need to find a place for a ladder or staircase if Link could just jump and pull himself up.

athenian200

Circumspect
a place of settlement, activity, or residence.
Jump?

Well, I wouldn't want him to be able to jump as high as Mario, but I wouldn't mind the idea in principle. I would want them to make sure the puzzles were designed such that jumping didn't allow you to do things too easily.

One of the things that annoyed me most in TP was that little fence that made it nearly impossible to reach Lake Hylia without taking an incredibly roundabout route through Hyrule Castle Town and Zora's Domain (even as Hylian Link). I would have understood if the fence were higher, but come on... even I could have jumped or climbed over that!

Although, it does seem like it could cause the Wii remote to run out of buttons... maybe it should be coupled with moving the remote upwards and an upward thrust? And after that, you could immediately slam it downwards in order to do a downward thrust? That would be pretty interesting.

yann

TheBitterDubstepMan
A jump button would certainly take us back to the days of AoL.
No, not for modern day zelda games.
Especially not the console games which have been fine without the jump button.
To be honest, I can't really think of a scenario where a game would need a jump button.

I see why people would want him to be able to jump. But I kind of liked that he could never do any superhuman mario-ish jumps. As for the people who don't want that and just want a realistic height for him to jump when you press a button, you also make the point that it would not be necessary. Considering Link can already jump up to locations that an average person would be able to jump to already, there is not a need for the button.

yotam

Leave the chocolate here
I don't think that they should put a jump button, actually I don't want big technical changes at all. zelda is great the way it is, the kombos in the WW were great and the skills in TP were good too but the jump button is gonna change the hole game.

Z

Zora

In other games there is an item called roc's feather, and cape, I think it might be cool to see the cape in 3d allwoing you to jump, but a jump button I do not like.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom