• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Joking About Cancer

Emma

Eye See You
Site Staff
In my view, all jokes are open for business. The moment you decide that something goes too far, you open the door to censoring other jokes, and that can progress and severely cripple people's free speech. So a joke offends you, so what? I've lost two close family members to cancer, and cancer jokes don't bother me in the slightest. Why should they? They're just jokes. If they're being told to deliberately hurt you, then the jokes really aren't the problem are they? It's the attitude, and you can't ban attitudes. People need to stop being so reactionary and thinking they have the right to deprive other people of things just to make themselves feel better.

Jokes are not always about being nice. Sometimes they're about airing out the nasty feelings people have. Some people cope with loss, or fear of loss or death, by joking about it. It's what works for them. Some just like making jokes about it. Either way, it's no big deal, and none of your business.

Vanessa28

Angel of Darkness
Staff member
ZD Legend
Administrator
Hmmm I have seen people around me getting cancer and my mother got it too. I watched people turn very sick and really suffering from this horrible disease. In my former hometown 6 people I know died because of it. I myself don't make cancer jokes AT ALL. But I absolutely don't think that people making these kinda jokes are doing it on purpose to attack people. I believe wholeheartly that everybody here on this site who make these jokes are all one by one willing to support a member if a member on here would get struck by this disease in what form. People don't make jokes to offend. I think people make jokes to express their fear for things. To make us forget about everything serious and that life continues and that we have to go on. Yes some jokes are really offensive but I do agree with Matt that it shouldn't be censored. Because if you do then it will only escalate.

Snow Queen

Mannceaux Signature Collection
They say that laughter is the best medicine, but I don't know when it comes to cancer. It's a horrible disease and many try to lighten it a bit with humour but are generally shot down. When it comes to cancer jokes I just don't really know what to say.

As someone who has had cancer (and obviously survived), I can say that I am not offended by the jokes. Although I can see how someone would be offended by a joke about a loved one who was killed by cancer. That's just bad taste.
What bothers me even more is the fact that everybody is offended by everything. Look, people are going to make fun of you in life. That's just the way it is. You can choose to be offended and dwell on it forever and therefore be miserable, or you can laugh with them, move on, live your life, and not worry about it.
This is much like most things in life. Your happiness depends on what you choose to do and how you choose to respond.

tysonrss

Keyblade Master
I can't joke around with things like that because I always have this feeling that I could get it if I make fun of those who do have some illness. When I was younger, like 3rd grade, I recall watching the Montel Williams show where these kids were jerking their necks, I think it was tic syndrome or something. Anyway, not long after I was diagnosed to come down with the same symptoms. Where I would jerk my neck or something. It wasn't tourettes, it was just a motor issue. I believed I came down with it because I made fun of those kids.

As I got older, the sydrome didn't bother me because I stopped doing it, although I still "feel" it, I have control over it, I'm lucky because not many people do.

People shouldn't ever make fun of those who are weaker or has some illness, it's just not cool at all.

Azure Sage

Spread Smiles!
Staff member
ZD Legend
Comm. Coordinator
People shouldn't ever make fun of those who are weaker or has some illness, it's just not cool at all.
You're right about that. But some people (to clarify, I'm not referring to you specifically) have to realize that there is a difference between making jokes about something and making fun of something.

There's nothing wrong with making jokes about something. The intent there is to make people laugh and lighten up the dark mood that comes with those dark subjects. The saying "laughter is the best medicine" is a pretty good description of this. But when it's something personal and insulting, with a hurtful intent, then it's no longer a joke. That's when it becomes making fun of something, which is pretty rude. There's a big difference there.

People can joke about cancer all they want (assuming they're mindful of what their audience is okay with). But making fun of it? That's a different story.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Top Bottom