• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Jobs.

This is a thread about jobs and job history. How many jobs have you had? Do you like your job? Are you trying to find a new one?

I started my first job on October 31st 2016. It's a packing job. I do like it but the past few months I've really wanted to get a new job and at the same time I don't because i'm used to it there and don't wanna start a new job with new people. I kind of don't think i'll be there much longer anyways because i'm being put in spot where I can't perform my best and my work is slipping. The past few months I've been having mild panic attacks and just feeling unmotivated. I'm scared I might lose my job and because of that there goes my insurance, source of income and self worth in a way. I do have really bad anxiety and other issues and i'm fearful I might having a hard time finding another one and if I do I don't know how long I'll last. But i'm trying to stay positive. My job now has weird hours for 2nd shift witch is ok and I do get weekends off witch is amazing and most people I work with are pretty decent. I've seen a lot of people leave or get fired in my three years there. Witch surprised me at first. It has to be over 100 at this point. Overall I do enjoy my job but would like to move on and hopefully find something better.

Ninja

Well well well
My job pays very well, treats me well, but the line of work doesn’t truly make me happy.

However thanks to it I’m able to provide a good life for my wife and mom, and I’m able to find my retirement and save for my child’s college/pay extra on the house.

I offset the fact that my job doesn’t make me super happy by taking extravagant and amazing vacations. :)

Azure Sage

March onward forever...
Staff member
ZD Legend
Comm. Coordinator
I am currently a substitute teacher, and it's my first job, ever. I am trying to find a more stable one as a one-on-one for students with special needs in my school district. My current job isn't very stable at all; whether I work or not is completely dependent on first-come-first-serve availability of assignments, which is completely dependent on teachers missing work for some reason or other. I need a steady paycheck if I wanna move out.

Doc

BoDoc Horseman
Currently, I work as a cashier/server/delivery guy for a pizza place. But I'm also studying to hopefully become a teacher one day. I'm currently starting my senior year of college and have one year of grad school/student teaching in my school's education program. So it is getting close.

Bowsette Plus-Ultra

wah
ZD Legend
I'm a phlebotomist at a plasma center right now, so I spend my days drawing blood, delivering samples, and thinking about how stuff it gets under my lab coat. It's an entry level medical job, so the pay isn't the highest ($14 an hour), but it's working alongside the Post 9/11 GI Bill, which is paying me about $1300 a month every month I'm in school full time. The goal is to work at a Registered Nurse.

Princess Niki

Allons-y
Staff member
My first job was at 16 I got to be a poll worker for 2 elections, then my state when completely absentee so no more polls.

My first job that lasted was at Regal Cinemas where I took tickets mostly and got to usher occasionally, I was there for almost 6 years and it took about 2 years for me to start to hate it.

At my 2nd job I was a cashier at Lowe's for 3 years and it took me a year to hate working there cuz of all the changes that were forced on us. The first year I worked both jobs but when I went back to school this job had better hours.

My 3rd job I am currently a cashier at Joann's and it took me 2 months to hate working here. Between few hours and overly critical managers I can't wait to get out someday. Only reason I am here is cuz I moved and the local Lowe's hated my availability that i had due to my asthma.

Castle

Ch!ld0fV!si0n
Pan-decepticon-transdeliberate-selfidentifying-sodiumbased-extraexistential-temporal anomaly
I had previous jobs... but we don't speak about those.

My current gig is cashier/guest attendant/front line worker at a fast food restaurant. It is by far the best job I have ever had. It's the people that make it so good. Really, finding the right job and not being miserable while doing it is really just finding the right people to work for and with. In that respect, I have no more complaints :)

And while you might think that food service would come with its fair share of aggravating customers, my experience working with customers on this job has been exceptionally positive. We're an intensely customer service focused business. Yeah, who knew that treating people with respect causes them to throw more money at you? And of course they are also far less likely to be jerks when they're that appreciative. Some of my most positive experiences while working have come from customers and my managers and employers really do a lot to make us feel appreciated too.

For the time being, and since I still haven't the slightest clue wtf I'm ever gonna do with my life, I am more than content to stay here. Although entering into some manner of trade or vocation school might be in my (preferably) near future, and while I'm not certain that this job is something I want to be doing forever anyhow, I would be stupid to mess with a good thing when I have it going for me. Heck, I even talked to my GM about possibly getting hired on full time and he seemed shockingly enthusiastic about it. I'm a bit apprehensive about that, though, since I'm too accustomed to being lazy. But that's a problem that working full time just might rectify.

Ninja

Well well well
This is a thread about jobs and job history. How many jobs have you had? Do you like your job? Are you trying to find a new one?

I’ve had a few different jobs. I currently enjoy most parts of my gig, great pay, awesome environment, etc. Right now I won’t be looking for awhile, at least until after the baby is born next year and is healthy.

Jirohnagi

Braava Braava
Only had the one job which lasted all of 3 months due to me being fired thanks to a medical emergency.

Got it August and was in the hospital on October then unofficially fired and got my full firing in December.
Kinda bums me out cuz i enjoyed the job working as essentially Cashier but ah well it's been 3 years

I started my own business not so long ago. I always wanted to be an entrepreneur and finally my dream have come true. Luckily I found EffectiveSoft Corporation, they are real professionals in software development and have affordable prices. Before that I worked as a salesman and then a manager.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dio
I've had 3 jobs. And all of them were different. That was the way I was looking my dream job. After all I succeed

Jimmu

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
I started my first job at McDonalds when I was 14 and worked there for 8 years before I moved to Japan. It was a good job overall but toward the end I did sometimes feel tired of doing the same thing every day.

I also worked as a Peer Tutor at university for 2 years where I assisted other students with learning disabilities. This was a really rewarding position and I’m very glad I did it.

My other university job (which I still have) is moving furniture and setting up events and the like which is an easy mindless job but pays very well so I don’t mind it for now.

When I was in Japan I interned for six months at an organization relating to the Australia and Japan relationship which was extremely valuable in terms of career development and has given me many connections that I hope will help me return to Japan for work in the future.

Vanessa28

Angel of Darkness
Staff member
ZD Legend
Administrator
My first job I had was at the age of 18 working at a meat factory. Doing industrial cleaning and wash the meat crats. I had so many jobs after that I lost counting. I have done almost everything but mainly housekeeping at hotels. Since 2017 I work at postal services. Not at the same department but still the same business.

Mellow Ezlo

Spoony Bard
Right out of high school, I worked at a furniture store for a year. I was barely making above minimum wage, and less than what minimum is now, and it was not enough for how much heavy lifting was involved. I left so I could change cities to start university. The job itself wasn't bad, though there were some annoying delivery jobs I had to do and my boss had me on call almost every day I wasn't scheduled (and I already worked 5 days) so I didn't really get to make plans.

My first summer back home I entered the hospitality industry with a job at a local burger joint. I worked there for 3 consecutive summers while away from school. I liked it a lot, by my third summer I was making $3.50 more than minimum wage, and i got between 45 and 55 hours per week so the overtime was fantastic.

I got my current job this past summer, which is as a line cook at a popular restaurant/lounge chain downtown. I'm making minimum wage, which is $15 here, but I get deducted 30min every shift longer than 6 hours, and my hours suck in general. I get decent tips though, since the kitchen gets tipped out every other Friday. But I need more hours in order for this job to be sustainable, and so I am thinking about finding something different in the new year.

I am also currently working as a freelance musician, trying to build a career out of it. I've gotten some really nice paying gigs, but they're too inconsistent to make a full time job out of it at the moment, it's just some extra income on the side.

After I graduate music school in the summer, I'm hoping to study education. I sent in the application and am currently waiting for the result. I've wanted to be a teacher since high school, so I definitely know that's the direction I want to take. For the mean time, though, I am trying to get a small student base so I can teach drums and music theory during my final semester and make some extra cash doing that.

Siphonix

Eater of Worlds
I am working at Chick-fil-a, also my first job. It’s alright I guess. Gets annoying when people expect me to say my pleasure from the point of them figuring out my occupation.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom