• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Jobs

Doc

BoDoc Horseman
The most of a job I've ever had was a volunteer job at the USO (United Service Organizations). It wasn't too bad and I got to eat free food that the soldiers didn't, so it certainly had its perks. Luckily I didn't have to interview for it. And good luck in your interview, hope you get the job, Shironagi.

Jirohnagi

Braava Braava
Thanks guys for the Advices and support ^^. I think i did well with the interview but i won't know for certain just yet ^^. It wasn't nearly as bad as i seemed to think it would be... but then things rarely are. The best bit of advice i think i have is be yourself but don't be the self that people dislike. For instance if you have a tendency to be snarky or sarcastic keep it on a leash in the closet, be courteous and polite to the interviewers, have an example to back you up when you claim to be a team worker or some such, always make eye contact but don't make it seem like you are staring (if mulitple interviewers you should make eye contact with the one asking you the questions at the time), body language is important, unless specified such as " can you tell us about a time you worked as part of a team" keep your answer clear concise and short. Always have at least 3 questions for the end nothing says you don't want the job than when they ask "do you have any questions" and you respond with "no". Be prepared for the interview and look smart, suit and tie smart not casual smart, when i say be prepared i don't mean make sure you shower and the like (though it is needed) i mean makes sure you know something about the company you are applying for and reherse what you will say. It would appear that there are six general questions asked (4 if you don't count the experience ones)

This is all from literally today in my own interview as well as look at the two nervous wrecks who went into it before me.

Moonstone

embrace the brand new day
Speaking as someone who is going for his first proper job interview tomorrow i want to know what is everyones opinion on their job whether they hate it or not. I've never had a job and so i do not know what to expect. So i am asking the community for their opinions likely a mistake but a good one ^^

What job are you looking to get?

I've worked in quite a few different things. I was a cashier at a grocery store, a baby-sitter, I helped my dad flip houses (hanging drywall, painting, laying flooring), I was a Game Adviser (glorified cahier/stock person/salesperson) for Gamestop, visuals and merchandising assistant, bank teller and now a banker. While none are my dream job (I still don't know what my dream job would even be), and while there were some cruddy points about all the places I worked at, in general I enjoyed my jobs. Keeping a positive outlook, working with good people that you can trust to hold up their end, or being willing to help them get to the point where they can hold up their own end, makes a world of difference. If you go to work in a bad mood, thinking the day is going to suck, you're going to have a bad time. If you go in with a positive attitude, and take the bad stuff in stride and not take it too personally, your work situation will be much better. And you being in a positive mood might help your coworkers and clients/customers be in a better mood, too, which will just continue to make things better for everyone.

If you're ever feeling down and out about work, feel free to get in touch with me. I'd be happy to share advise or just listen to your problems and help you work them out, give feedback if needed, or even just remind you not to take things too personally.

Ty.

Ok, but dogs CAN look up!
I've worked as a waiter in the family restaurant, a sales person in Future Shop (3 years in Gaming. 1 year in Audio), and i'm currently working as a designer at a hydro company.

I've enjoyed all my jobs, though the waiter gig was the worst. I'm not made for that type of work, and working for family is a drag.
I really enjoyed Future Shop until I left gaming. I really like audio stuff, but gaming was where my heart was. And it was an hourly job as opposed to a commission position. Most guys perfer commission. I did not.

I really enjoy my current job. I'm hoping i'll be there for the next 40 years. It's not always as exciting as FS was, but it's a lot more rewarding as it feels like more of a career than just a job. This is also my first full time job.

As for the interview.... I know you already had yours... but i'll still throw in my two cents.

The most important thing from what I've noticed in the past is to be genuine. Don't go in to an interview full of ****. Be as honest as you can and be yourself. People can tell when you're full of crap. And they can tell when you're trying to pretend to be the most awesome dude at everything ever when you're not.

Beauts

Rock and roll will never die
My first job was in a pub. At the time I was 18 and suffering with depression and anxiety so I didn't fare too well with the pressures of the job.
Since then I've had 2 retail jobs. The first one was ok... I mean retail isn't fun. You have to get a thick skin pretty early on to deal with angry customers and pretty much every random situation that can arise. It's also repetetive and can be a bit mind-numbing at times. Saying that, as long as you work somewhere lively it's fine. I've made some of my best friends working in retail. The second retail job I had was awful though, the shop was very quiet and you could go hours with no customers and having finished everything, nothing to do. I quit because if I stayed there any longer I was going to go insane. I would say with any job just try to find something you enjoy about it, as hard as it may be sometimes!

I have an interview coming up on wednesday actually. It's for something totally different, and I'm really looking forward to it and hope I get it just to give something new a try. Variety is the spice of life, remember that in your career.

P.s. good luck!

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
My first job was helping disabled people in the airport, it was quite fun until you got the rude white woman, god those are the worst, but anyway your first job will never be your only job so my advice to you is:

- Do not despair if your initial job sucks
- Do not bet your entire existence on one job
- Retain money
- Live Life
- Be Strong
- YOLO

Since this is half about interviews, and half about jobs, I have a question you lovely folks may be able to help me with.

I'm trying to transfer laterally at my job; I'm trying to go from an agency to state service. At my initial interview (thinking I didn't get it, but I'll survive), I answered all the questions and whatnot. Now, my current manager and the superintendent were 2/3 of my interview panel. They know me, they know I've been working there for 8 months, give or take. So when they asked if I had any questions, I answered honestly and said nope.

After all the buildup, the question is....: Should I have bulldookied some questions, or been honest? Because if I pretend I have questions, then I look incompetent. All I was interviewing for was same job, different shift. But if I'm honest, do I come off as cocky?

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
But if I'm honest, do I come off as cocky?
If you have no questions then it's the same thing. They know who you are and if it's just a transfer, you'll probably nayled it. I transfered from one position at my store to another and it's the same thing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom