• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Jeff Bezos funding anti aging research

Dio

~ It's me, Dio!~

Jeff Bezos is reportedly funding the anti aging research lab Altos. This is very encouraging and I have often wondered why billionaires like Bezos and Musk were seemingly not doing anything about what is probably going to finish them off one day when they have such vast resources to put into trying to slow this process down or reverse it.

Aging is not an enjoyable process. It makes life harder. People become weaker, lose their skin elasticity, lose their hair, eyesight, develop painful arthritis, develop cancer or memory loss and in worst cases full blown dementia. It's not fun. Many of my patients say 'dont get old' and if the process can be halted or slowed this will be an excellent thing.

Living longer lives means more care will need to be taken of our planet. It won't be easy to say 'The next generation can deal with it' when you're gonna be around for 150 years or more. Perhaps it will make people take more care of things if they are going to have to live in the mess they create if they don't.

Stitch

AKA Patrick
I'm pretty sure there are several pieces of literature about aging rich men doing this exact thing. How vain can one be to defy what is only natural? Especially while the rest of our society is going to hell because of misallocation of resources which Bezos himself is guilty of being a part of. Bezos has access to live saving infrastructure and he'd rather put his time and money towards something that likely will not be used for generations outside of those with privilege such as his own. Pity.

Dio

~ It's me, Dio!~
I'm pretty sure there are several pieces of literature about aging rich men doing this exact thing. How vain can one be to defy what is only natural?

Aging is a disease. A killer. It brings cancer, dementia and all manner of things you don't want to get and that you don't want the people you like to get. Why would you not want to defy this?

Stitch

AKA Patrick
Aging is a disease. A killer. It brings cancer, dementia and all manner of things you don't want to get and that you don't want the people you like to get. Why would you not want to defy this?
The Sun is a disease. A killer. It brings cancer, overheating, and all manner of things you don't want to get. Why would you not want to defy this?
Aging is important to our human ecosystem. It keeps things such as population in check. With resources being hoarded by a few as they are currently, there is no good that could come of this. Maybe one day we can defy things that keep our ecosystem healthy, but, for now, it's a fool's errand.

Dio

~ It's me, Dio!~
The Sun is a disease. A killer. It brings cancer, overheating, and all manner of things you don't want to get. Why would you not want to defy this?

We do defy it. Sun screen, melanoma removal surgery if it gets to that. And with overheating we defy by air con etc. Some choose to live in temperate climates too.

Aging is important to our human ecosystem. It keeps things such as population in check. With resources being hoarded by a few as they are currently, there is no good that could come of this. Maybe one day we can defy things that keep our ecosystem healthy, but, for now, it's a fool's errand.

Aging is going to ruin the ecosystem soon in many countries. There is not enough able bodied to care for those that will need it.

Spiritual Mask Salesman

CHIMer Dragonborn
Staff member
Comm. Coordinator
Site Staff
I think idealistically the only way to fix this would be to find a way to replicate things like food and clean water somehow. The next step would be finding other places to populate because Earth would only have so much room, once these problems have been solved then anti-aging could be something viable.

But I agree until those issues are solved, anti-aging research would take up time better spent elsewhere, particularly on the problems that need to be solved that could eventually allow anti-aging to work.

Stitch

AKA Patrick
We do defy it. Sun screen, melanoma removal surgery if it gets to that. And with overheating we defy by air con etc. Some choose to live in temperate climates too.
Yes, we defy the side effects, not the sun itself. There are plenty of alternatives to give people better lives than "Make them live longer."

Stitch

AKA Patrick
I think that people are too reliant on medical science and not enough on God's design today.
What if that medical science is God's design? I mean, if their is a God, I assume it created us. Medical science is something that creating us lead to. Hence God's design is medical science.

Sorry for the off topic rant, @Dio

Chevywolf30

The one and only.
Forum Volunteer
What if that medical science is God's design? I mean, if their is a God, I assume it created us. Medical science is something that creating us lead to. Hence God's design is medical science.

Sorry for the off topic rant, @Dio
That's a fair point, and absolutely true, but I meant more the body's natural ability to heal itself.

Stitch

AKA Patrick
That's a fair point, and absolutely true, but I meant more the body's natural ability to heal itself.
Most modern medicine is designed to work with the body's natural ability to heal itself. And trust me, the human body is not equipped to deal with most of the **** Earth throws at it. There is a reason people from more traditional backgrounds come from large families, cause a lot of kids used to die from what we today would consider measly ass colds.

Dio

~ It's me, Dio!~
Yes, we defy the side effects, not the sun itself. There are plenty of alternatives to give people better lives than "Make them live longer."

The side effects of aging are what kill people so to defy them would make us immortal or live incredibly long lives.

I expect eventually that people will be able to transfer their consciousness into a digital format to achieve an indefinite existence so those that live long enough will have that option. If we don't blow the planet up before then anyway.

I have some concerns about a dystopian kind of future where people lose their consciousness in cyborg bodies, but I'm definitely for the idea of aging more gracefully into one's last years. I think we should aim towards a state where people can feel less back and shoulder pain and where they have more energy to do the things we love. That said, we can't stop our telomeres from shortening or our body being exposed to oxidants, so the march towards death will continue towards its inevitability.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom