• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Japan: 3DS Sales Soar While Vita Crumbles

Nintendo 3DS sales in Japan reached their highest point yet in the week of December 19 to December 25 selling a massive 510,629 units. During the same period, the PS Vita only managed to shift a meager 72,479 units. It seems Sony's high pricing has once again nailed a new system into its early death bed. It's yet to be seen whether Vita will regain some momentum over the coming months like the Playstation 3 did or whether it would continue to bring in low sales revenue similar to the Playstation Portable before it. For now, all that's certain is that Nintendo remains king of the handheld market. And that Mario continues to sell systems!

Sources:

http://3ds.nintendolife.com/news/2011/12/japanese_3ds_sales_hit_new_high_in_christmas_week
http://vita.ign.com/articles/121/1215539p1.html

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
God dammit Sony, what's your problem?! I'm disappointed, like I said I would be. : (
The Vita was plagued with launch problems in Japan, however so was the same with the 3DS. Knowing Sony, they *should* be able to make a comeback.

I can't say I'm surprised. While the 3DS had some nice new features to offer, the Vita does'nt seem all that interesting. I mean, it's like the PSP, with better graphics and a touch screen. I bought a 3DS, and I would highly recommend it.

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
I feel honored to reply to you as my 1000th post and say I told you so.
Firstly, congrats on breaking the threshold! :xd:
Secondly, I was half expecting the Vita to fail. Dat Nintendo quality...
Thirdly, meh I'm just disappointed in Sony now. Still, I cannot give up hope!

Kazumi

chagy
I'm somewhat disappointed in the performance that the Vita has provided in Japan so far. I was expecting/hoping for it to sell a bit more, but of course there is always room for improvement. I don't doubt that the Vita will bounce back, and will be quite successful when it comes to North America and Europe next year. From the beginning I've liked the Vita. I like the screen, the dual sticks, and the amazing PSN integration. I was planning on buying one over the 3DS at first, but now I'm starting to change my mind, what with the 3DS library expanding. However, I haven't bought either of them yet so it's still up in the air.

S

stocksy

Is know one else worried that the rise of the smart phone may have killed of the handheld market though?

Considering that even the 3DS had a slow start, I'm going to give the Vita a few more months before saying anything.

Poe

ᴀᴘᴘᴇᴀʀs ᴀɴᴅ ᴅɪsᴀᴘᴘᴇᴀʀs
Maybe it's just me but whenever I hear something about Sony having a bad sale time to do with electronics my immediate thought is, "Well, at least they have more than game consoles".

Either way. I'm not surprised in the slightest.

S

stocksy

A phone isn't even a dedicated handheld gaming machine and shouldn't be considered as such. 3DS is still selling like hot cakes. It's pricing that was the arrow to the knee for PS Vita.

I'm not saying that I personally believe it is, but many people do, many of my friends can not see the point of buying a vita or 3ds when they can just play games on their Iphone

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom