• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Japan 2011 Earthquake

Meego

~Dancer in the Dark~
I think there are two threads like this, but it is good that everyone is so concerned for them. May luck be with them~ Let's hope everyone will be okay.

Ghosi

Schmetterling
I am still praying for everyone affected by this. I am glad, that the tsunami warnings saved a lot of lives, and people evacuated safely. I learned that my friend was fine too, and I am really glad for his safety. But I am still thinking about all the people who are still in trouble, and I sure hope they will be safe and okay.

Claire

The Geekette
My heart goes out to those struggling to survive after the tremendously powerful earthquake, over 120 aftershocks, and the tsunami that scaled over 30 feet. It's awful, it really is, but we often forget how powerful the planet is and the incredible forces that can be produced with what seems like such ease. I believe the Earthquake Early Warning and Pacific Tsunami Warning Center contributed in preparing many which would have undoubtedly help save their lives. It seems vital to me every single major earthquake that we witness in a massively populated area that research and engineering in the field of geophysics is necessary to preserve as many lives as we can through forecasting these events and building safer structures to withstand them. My hope is that there will be a swift recovery, though reality is at the moment that there is a lot to be concerned about as a result of the quake. With the nuclear reactors at risk, there is a chance that long-term damage could occur if they are not quickly stabilized.

I hope the global community can unite and stay united so we all can see brighter tomorrows.

"I know. It's all wrong. By rights we shouldn't even be here. But we are. It's like in the great stories.. the ones that really mattered. Full of darkness and danger, they were. And sometimes you didn't want to know the end. Because how could the end be happy? How could the world go back to the way it was when so much bad had happened? But in the end, it's only a passing thing, this shadow. Even darkness must pass. A new day will come. And when the sun shines it will shine out the clearer. Those were the stories that stayed with you. That meant something, even if you were too small to understand why. But I think, I do understand. I know now. Folk in those stories had lots of chances of turning back, only they didn't. They kept going. Because they were holding on to something, that there's some good in this world... and it's worth fighting for."
—Samwise Gamgee

Last edited:

Emma

The Cassandra
Site Staff
Sam's quote from the Lord of the Rings. Beautifully fitting. It perfectly describes the heroism going on right now with all the people doing what they can to save as many people as possible.

Lady_Yuna

GoodNight SunShine!
Thoughts and Prayers go out for those affected in Japan:(. I really hope the people will be able to recover from this. It stinks that some people can't volunteer to help with the recovery though...unless there's an organization where they allow everyone to help? Hopefully the U.S and other countries will be able to raise a lot of money that can cover the damages.

zants follower

underling of the dark god
I did see the thread on the quake pertaining to the gaming industry, but I feel that this disaster deserves a thread purely to reflect on those who lost their lives and possessions to the earthquake and tsunami. Please post any comments or thoughts you have on this terrible occurrence, and please, please be reasonable.

edit: I meant to call this losses "from" the earthquake.

Wait, why is my opening post the last, along with the fact that I apparently didn't make this thread anymore? I had it in the mature discussion section, that's fine right? Umm... getting too riled up. Sorry. Anyways, I hope everyone's ok over there.

edit: OH! I see! my thread was integrated into this one! sorry about this cumbersome post here. Just ignore me...

Last edited:

Emma

The Cassandra
Site Staff
For those that have criticized the Japan for building nuclear power plants on the coast of an earthquake zone, these were some of the best designed nuclear plants in the world.
They were designed to withstand any sort of earthquake. And they did withstand this one. It was the tsunami that got it. It was designed to withstand tsunamis up to 20 feet high. However this one was over 30 feet high. The size and location of the quake was so extraordinary rare that it really can't be built for. And Japan hasn't had a quake this size in its recorded history and geologists don't think it has had one this bad in over 1200 years. The power plants were, as I've said, very well designed. And if they weren't, they would have already had a complete meltdown days ago.

Ninten*

BLOOOOOOOO
No mandy, Nintendo confirmed that the earthquake didn't get to Nintendo HQ.

According to the news, when the underwater earthquake happened, it caused a tsunami, but it went in both ways. I heard that it would hit California any day now. I also heard some more news. When the earthquake happened, it shifted the Earth's axis. So did the Chile earthquake. As a result, the amount of a day changed. But it was only by a fraction of a second so it shouldn't be too concerning.

There was also problems with a nuclear power plant. I don't know exactly what happened, but I think that there was a meltdown.

disturbed42

I will win....eventually!
Fox 35 News just reported that there were two more earthquakes early this morning, one of them being a 6.2
Also, hundreds of thousands are homeless and there's a forecast of snow tonight in certain regions of Japan, getting as cold as 20 degrees tonight.
And TEPCO (some sort of technician company in Japan) is going to try dumping water from a helicopter on the rods in the nuclear powerplants so they stay covered in water and won't become exposed to air, which would lead to the release of radiation.
My prayers are with Japan right now; this situation makes me so sad while I'm sitting here at home, doing nothing.
I hope the U.S. becomes involved with Japan and helps them through these trials.

EDIT: Now they are reporting that radiation is leaking so they've warned people to stay inside.
And the U.S. Navy has sent radiation pills to Japan or something of the sort while Disney is donating 2.5 million dolllars to help Japan.
The death toll so far is 3,300. The estimated toll is 10,000.

Last edited:

OcarinaSword

Never Give up
Well when i first saw what happend it was very sad, i found this out on the news and i heard lots of bad stuf!
But if anyone does not no what a tsunami is it is a earthquake under water that makes a big wave.

Anyway i heard that over 90+ people have died and 300+ are still lost (Very Sad)

But! it also hi hawii!, But i did hear that it hit or might hit alaksa someone told me so im not sure.
I do hope all the damage gets fixed.

Emma

The Cassandra
Site Staff
Been a while since anyone's talked here. The death toll has been updated to 8133 and 12272 are missing. And the situation with the nuclear plants has gotten worse.

ケンジ

僕は準備完了しています!
Paranaque City, Metro Manila, Philippines
It was a nightmare.

The quake was something unlike any other. I've made blogs about my experience with the quake. Please read them, here are some more updates from my mom.
Now, water is affected with radiation, in Tokyo.
There was a radiation sighting in Shinjuku last march 20, though it was .01 or something microseverts, due to a person foolishly bring it to tokyo, and now water has been affected in cities. There is, as of now, NO running water, tap water. Though harmless to adults, what concerns them are the babies, since there's a chance of them acquiring thyroid cancer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom