• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Jailbreaking on IOS

A

Acapreesanz

Do you think jailbreaking should become again illegal on IOS?

I think that once the device is sold to the consumer, it can be used for whatever the user needs/desires unless it is being used something hugely illegal is on/being uploaded from the device.

David

But you called me here...
No. Jailbreaking a device should not be illegal, and it isn't. The worst that could happen is that the device gets bricked and the warranty is void because of the jailbreaking. As long as the device doesn't get bricked, you're perfectly fine jailbreaking. Running a system restore on the device also removes all traces of the software. The device is yours after you buy it, so you should be able to do what you want with it.

A

Acapreesanz

I know but it originally was illegal and is in consideration again by Apple. I have my self jailbroken all my IOS devices.

AwesomeTingle

Pure Awesomeness
Jailbreaking should be totally legal and it is. We should be able to do whatever we want with our devices. The only reason it would be illegal is to further prevent piracy.
As said by enrique,
I wont buy a $6.99 app when it is not good
It's true. If you've jail broken you can get nearly any app for free (illegally). You can justify it by saying the app isn't worth seven dollars, and just download it. Because you've jailbroken it just adds on to the temptation to do that. That's why they want it illegal.
But we paid for the device, so we should be able to toy with them however we want. It should be completely legal.

It will never be illegal because the device it's yours and they can't do anything against it. I have my iDevices jailbroken because I don't like how Apple doens't let us customize our devices.

WW IsDa Bombchu

Fez+Bowtie=Time
The process of jailbreaking itself should never be illegal. The real question here is if you are going to use things off of Cydia such as Installous/App Cake/dTunes instead of small tweaks, or themes, or animations, or anything that you can customize the iDevice with. Personally, I've jailbroken all my devices, and actually show others how to jailbreak, and how to get the best out of your iDevice. For a small fee, of course :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom