• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

General Art Jack the Reaper

Raindrop14

Soldier for Christ!
So in the spirit of Halloween (and my writing class) I have conjured an idea that I really wanted to write, and I will be posting it in parts each week. Every Thursday (this was a day late, I know X3) there will be a new part up until Halloween, when I finish the story. It isn't a very long story because I don't have to write anything very long for the class, so I thought this was a neat project thing.

Anyway, here's part one, enjoy!

Jack the Reaper
***​
It wasn’t quite a dark and stormy night, rather it was a grey skied evening with the sun not yet set, and an orange glow about the earth as autumn set into place. The trees were bare of green life, all replaced by the reds, browns, yellows and oranges of October, and some of those colorful leaves sought to leave the trees and cover the ground with their fiery looks. It might as well have been a dark and stormy night though, for what will happen next you’d expect to happen on a scary night.

In the middle of a neighborhood street the leaves began to spin, faster they went and soon they rose, forming a leafy cylinder spinning wildly like a tornado. It appeared only for a few seconds when the leafy tornado died down and the leaves settled on the ground once more as leaves should. When the cover of leaves had settled they revealed a boy lying on the road. He had very short inky black hair and was without any clothing. The boy was unmoving, and even un-breathing, as if he had appeared there dead.

Not long after the boy appeared did one of the neighborhood house doors open. An elderly woman went out onto her porch and sat on the nice wooden bench she had out there, and began to knit something black. That was when she felt something unnerving in the air and shivered with Goosebumps. She looked around herself to see what caused the disturbance when she spotted the boy in the street. The elderly woman looked on wide eyed and worried. What happened? She put down her knitting needles and yarn and rushed out to the boy, taking off her shawl and when she got to him she wrapped it around him. There was an odd air about him, as though he was connected to the disturbance she had felt earlier. The old woman let go of the thought not wanting to dwell on it at this moment. She looked around to see if someone was somewhere out there who might have been with the boy. No one in sight.

The elderly woman thought for a moment about what she should do. She couldn’t very well carry him in, could she? He wasn’t a large boy; he looked to be only seven. But then she wasn’t a weight lifter of any kind. She felt compassion for the boy and longed to help him by taking him in, so she would try to lift him, and if that failed she might ask a neighbor to help her.

The elderly woman put her arms around him and stood up. He was as light as a feather; he weighed nothing in her arms. That was strange, and for a moment she stood still. Then she came to her senses (she was after all in a road where cars pass by) and headed back to her house. The boy made no motion and the elderly woman was able to carry him with ease to her front porch. When she arrived there she put him down on the bench and opened the front door, then picked him up again and went inside.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Thanks for reading, and stay "tuned" for the next part in a week! ^_^

TatlTails

WANTS HER VMS BACK
I sentiment with HappyMask. Please give more. Soon. I want to know what's gonna happen, and I wanna know now.

Raindrop14

Soldier for Christ!
Thanks for reading, I appreciate it! :3 And sorry about this being a day late, but here's part two! Enjoy~

Pt2***
Jack, or that is what they called him anyway since they hadn’t learned his real name nor did he remember it himself, was sitting on the front porch watching the leaves roll by in the wind. Occasionally some kid, coming home from school probably, might pass by on the sidewalk about thirty feet from where he sat, but none bothered to even glance at him as they continued on with their dreary lives. As for Jack and his connection with school, he didn’t have any at the moment. The elderly woman, her name is Dorothy, hadn’t enrolled the boy in any kind of school yet. Not because she didn’t want him in school or he didn’t want to be in it either, but because she had tried putting him in schools for the past seven years but every time he attended one school, three months later something would happen and he would be expelled.

The town didn’t have that many schools and so it was getting harder and harder to find a school that would accept him, especially because of his previous expulsion record. Dorothy was recently considering the possibility of homeschooling Jack. Jack didn’t really care if he went to school or did it at home, he didn’t even care about an education for that matter, because he seemed to already develop the necessary information as he aged. It was weird, but for some reason as he got older he seemed to know things. Dorothy discovered this almost two years after she found him, so she tested him on some things like math and English. For four years she gave him a test according to his age level and every year he passed even though he had hardly learned anything in school, or even at home.

At home he couldn’t have learned much via internet and television because they didn’t have one. The only source of information they had were Dorothy’s husband’s books which she decided to keep after he died. Although Jack didn’t have too much knowledge at his fingertips with that even, so it was odd he knew so much. The library was out of the question because Jack never left the house.

As Jack sat on the porch he watched the place where he had come from, that part on the street in front of the house where Dorothy had found him. Dorothy shared with Jack all that she knew of the event, she didn’t hide anything, so Jack didn’t suspect her of excluding any details as to what might have caused his appearance, which made him wonder how he got there. Dorothy had noticed him in the street when she came out, and she saw no one else anywhere near the area. There were no signs of anyone being there either; it was like Jack had appeared out of nowhere.

They both considered that he had been dropped off by someone to die, but he had no wounds when he was found. Although he was found with nothing on him, he could not have been left for dead. No one would have left him in the middle of a neighborhood anyway.

Dorothy had asked the neighbors on the block if they had seen anything or knew anything about Jack’s appearance, but none of them saw any event that day or knew anything about Jack except what she told them. So it was a mystery left for the two of them to solve, although they didn’t know how to solve it.

While Jack was thinking he suddenly felt the urge to get up and leave. Jack stood up and opened the front door, and called inside, “I’m going to take a walk.” Then he took off on his walk.

Dorothy, who had heard from the next room, was puzzled by his sudden want to take a walk. He never wanted to go anywhere, not even the park nearby, and even though it was just a walk he didn’t even like to go out for walks. The farthest he got from the house, aside from when he had gone to school a couple times, was on the front porch. Never had she seen him go anywhere else. But perhaps this was a good thing, for him to get out more and explore. So Dorothy relaxed and continued to read her book which she had probably read twice before in her youth.

Jack didn’t know why he wanted to walk, he just felt like walking. Perhaps sitting on the porch was getting boring? All he did was sit there for nine months of the year after he got expelled from a school seven times. Jack had read all the books they had in the house so there was nothing left to do, he just wanted to sit out there and watch the spot he had appeared at.

What was to attracting about that spot? He did wonder about how he got here and all, but there must be more elements to his coming here than that spot on the road. He must have been somewhere else in town before that, or somewhere else in the world where had had lived before. Why couldn’t he remember?

This is what he wondered every day of his life, and never did he find an answer. He had read the books that they had in the house, hoping to find an answer, but nothing appeared, not even a remotely close answer to his questions. So maybe he had to finally resort to going to the library, perhaps that’s why he wanted to take a walk, because that was where he was headed now. If he did end up at the library he could read all the books they had too, and maybe he might find an answer. They had a big library in town, there must be something there.

The library was not where Jack found himself when he decided to stop. He found himself at the park. The park he’d never been to. It was an empty park today, not like the parks he’d heard Dorothy ask him about wanting to go to. The swings were left still, the seesaw was covered in a few leaves and left untouched, and the jungle gym didn’t even have any remnants of children playing in the last few hours.

The playground was empty, and the leafy field of the park was also empty, not even a few kids playing with their dog. Jack went over to a park bench and sat down, watching the empty playground.

Even with the day turning into evening as the sun began to leave a more orange glow on the earth, Jack didn’t get up to go home. He was waiting for something, although he didn’t know what, he wanted to wait. Time passed as he sat and it was now probably dinner time at home and Dorothy might get worried about him, however Jack wanted to wait a few more minutes.

Soon it seemed like his waiting paid off when he saw a young boy walking along the side walk with his school backpack on. The young boy, probably only ten years old, looked over to the playground and smiled. He glanced at his left wrist and then back at the playground, then decided to come skipping over and hop onto one of the swings.

Jack saw the boy but didn’t move. He felt that this boy was the reason he had been waiting here, but he didn’t know what he was supposed to do next. He didn’t feel any urges, not even to walk up to the boy and say hi. He just watched.

The happy little boy got bored of the swing after a few minutes and headed over to the slide. It wobbled a little when he climbed to the top, but that was because it was probably as old as this town. He slid down with a look of glee on his face, and then went back up to do it again. Then he rushed over to the jungle gym and started climbing all around it and then up to the top. He stood on top and shouted, “I am the king of the world!” The winds began to pick up and the little boy wobbled a little. Jack wasn’t worried.

Then the boy crouched down and began his decent. It was a bit darker now than when the boy had decided to play, and Jack could feel the boy’s fear grow within. Someone’s dog gave a howl, and Jack saw the boy look around him. Then the boy began descending faster until he lost his footing on one of the bars and tumbled down to the ground. Jack did not go to the boy, but waited.

The little boy got up and brushed himself off, ignoring any pain for there was no one to cry to who would come to him. Then he went over to his school bag and picked it up, and started running home. As he ran through the playground the winds got harder and Jack could hear a squeaking in the playground, then a sound like breaking. Soon enough as the boy ran passed the slide it tumbled down on top of him.

Jack watched but didn’t move. Was the boy dead? The boy didn’t rise from where he was, but after some careful listening Jack could hear a quiet moaning. Jack went over to the boy and knelt down beside him. The little boy noticed him, and reached out his hand to Jack.

“Please… Help me…”

Jack took the boy’s hand and pulled him from underneath the slide. It was quite easy to do so, and then there stood the boy with his school pack smiling at Jack.

“Thank you, but where do I go now?” The boy asked.

“Go home, like you were going to do before you got crushed.”

“Alright, I will then. Thank you.”

The boy began walking back in the direction of his home, not at all scared of the nightly sounds and the monsters that crept in the dark. After the boy disappeared out of sigh Jack looked back at the slide. There lay the boy’s body underneath the slide, the blood forming a pool in the leaves.

For a moment Jack thought he was hallucinating and he rubbed his eyes to wipe away the illusion. However when he looked back the boy’s body still lay there. If the boy was still there, then who was it that he pulled from the slide? It had to be the same person, the boy he pulled from the slide looked exactly the same. Had that been a ghost of the dead boy, then? If that was the case, how could Jack have seen the ghost, or even touched it? Maybe he could touch and see the ghost because he hadn’t helped the boy. It was like that in some stories, where only one person could see a ghost because they’d done something to them in their life. Perhaps Jack could see the boy because he hadn’t prevented his death, because Jack killed him. But then why was the ghost boy not haunting him? He was rather pleasant to Jack.

Jack had decided that the boy he pulled from the slide was a ghost, but with that in mind he began to feel fear. Would the little boy come back to haunt him later? And then there was the body, the shell that held the boy’s soul that Jack had pulled from the wreckage. Jack had never seen a dead body before, in person that is, he’d read about some people who died in both history and fiction from the books at home. The body’s eyes still looked to Jack, except the life was gone from them and they no longer pleaded for aid, they just stared as if blind.

Jack didn’t want to be here anymore, and he didn’t want to be found here if someone showed up and started asking questions. Although Jack lingered for a moment, to say goodbye to the body. Then he realized how ridiculous that was and repeated his goodbye in the direction the little boy’s ghost went.

After he felt he was done here he began walking back home. As he walked he wondered, had he really killed the boy? Or did he just help the ghost out of the body after the body had died? He couldn’t have killed the boy, the slide did that; all Jack did was help the ghost. Jack still felt he had killed the boy though, because Jack hadn’t done anything to prevent the little boy’s death, even though he could have. All Jack did was watch.
It made him feel a little sick as he thought of the body and remembered how it used to move and smile. Now Jack took the life from it and it looked at him with those disturbing dark eyes. All he could think of was the little boy’s body in the pool of blood. The boy had pleaded to Jack to help him, but all he did was take his soul. He did kill the little boy.

As Jack neared the house he slowed down and finally stopped a few houses away. He was out of the street light, but from where he stood he could see Dorothy sitting on the front porch looking out, probably for him. Jack was hesitant to go back to Dorothy. First she would ask where he’d been, and then why he was gone so long. What would he tell her for question two? That he was gone because he was waiting to kill a little boy? Jack didn’t want to face Dorothy right now, but if he didn’t she might call the police and they would surely find him. So Jack had no choice, and started walking again to the house.

At first Dorothy didn’t notice him and thought him a stranger with his head lowered, until he began walking up the driveway. Dorothy got up as fast as an old woman could and went to him to hold him in her arms.

“Where have you been?” Dorothy asked.

“I was at the park,” Jack responded, not embracing her in return.

“My goodness, I was about to call the police to find you!”

“I’m sorry.”

“Well its good you came home, I’m so glad. Now you should come in to eat something.”

Dorothy took Jack inside, and when they were inside Jack sat down on a stool. Dorothy pulled out some food from the fridge and warmed it up while Jack waited. All the while Jack was waiting for her to ask why he was gone that long. He didn’t want to tell her the truth, and he didn’t look at her because he didn’t want to see her questioning eyes.

When the food was warmed up Dorothy put the plate down for Jack. Jack picked up his fork, but he didn’t eat.

“What’s wrong?” Dorothy asked.

Jack didn’t answer.

“Pease tell me Jack, I’ve never seen you so upset.”

“Have you ever seen a ghost, Dorothy?” Jack finally asked, but he continued to avoid her eyes.

Dorothy was confused for a moment, then she answered, “No. Is that what’s the matter, Jack? Did you see a ghost?”

Jack nodded his head.

“Oh come now, it was just a trick of the shadows!” Dorothy put an arm around Jack to comfort him. “Were you scared?”

“A little,” Jack said truthfully.

“Well the ghost is gone now and you are home, so there’s no need to worry about anything, okay?”

“Yeah.” Jack wanted to tell her that the ghost he’d seen was real and that he’d touched it. But it sounded like she wouldn’t believe him.

“Are you going to eat?” Dorothy asked noticing his still untouched food.

“No.”

“Aren’t you hungry?”

“The ghost I saw was real, I could touch it.” Jack looked up now and looked at Dorothy, his eyes begging her to believe his story. It was real, it hadn’t been a trick of the shadows, there was a body and there was a ghost. “I saw a boy get killed, and then I went over to him and he asked me to help him, so I pulled his ghost from underneath the slide and told him to go home. Then he left. The ghost was real Dorothy, and I killed a boy.”

Jack’s eyes began to water now, and Dorothy looked at him very shocked. He was probably too old for this kind of behavior, but Jack began to cry. Dorothy pushed away her thoughts about his story and comforted him. She hugged him and pat his head, and told him it was okay. But Jack knew it wasn’t okay because something weird had happened. Jack wasn’t okay because he’d seen and touched a ghost, and killed a little boy.

Dorothy was soon able to calm him down and his sobs were now just little hiccups as he wiped his eyes.

“Jack,” Dorothy began in a gentle tone. “Are you sure of what happened? Did you really see a boy get killed?”

“Yes, and I saw his ghost too.”

“Well, perhaps you did, but maybe not. You were scared, weren’t you? It could have been an illusion.”

“But Dorothy, I swear I saw it,” Jack pleaded.

“If you say so, but don’t tell anyone because I don’t think they’ll believe you. Now we should call the police about the boy, don’t you think?”

Dorothy stood up and began walking to the phone when Jack grabbed her shirt and she stopped.

“But Dorothy, what if they find me guilty? I killed the boy, they’ll send me to prison!”

Jack’s eyes began to get watery again, and Dorothy went over to him.

“It’ll be alright, you didn’t kill anyone. You say you found the boy, right? Well then you weren’t even there when he died. The police aren’t going to do anything to you Jack.”

Jack kept his mouth shut and simply nodded. Dorothy gave him a kiss and then went over to the phone, and called the police. Jack didn’t want to tell her the rest of the story, how he’d watched the boy die and he didn’t do anything but come and take his ghost. He could lie to the police too, and tell them he was just taking a walk and he found the boy. They wouldn’t have any proof he was there except the boy’s ghost, and the boy’s ghost wouldn’t tell anyone, would he?

Thanks for reading. ^^ Part three will be up next week.

That was amazing! I can't wait for the next chapter. I want to know more about Jack... But that was just so good!

Doc

BoDoc Horseman
I was thinking the boy seemed unusually fine after being crushed but then...my god. Amazing.

Ganondork

goo
Not a bad start by any means. It seems like it has a pretty interesting premise, and I'm interested in seeing what more there is to be done in the story. However, I did notice a few things that really need some adjusting.

The biggest problem would definitely have to be the fact that you tell instead of showing. I don't think I really need to explain to you what that means, but it's very clear that you as a narrator push the story along more than the characters themselves do. This really isn't good. It seems like you enjoy using omniscient third-person - which isn't bad at all, mind you - but I do think it allows you to get lazy with some things. The problem with omniscient third-person point of view is that it really doesn't work in a more suspenseful or mysterious story. Limited third person would be the point of view best suited for this type of story.

Raindrop14 said:
...faster they went and soon they rose, forming a leafy cylinder spinning wildly like a tornado. It appeared only for a few seconds when the leafy tornado...

This part really irked me. You could use plenty of other synonyms for both leafy and tornado, but instead reused the same words. The repetitiveness of this is really off putting and ruins the flow of the story.

The elderly woman, her name is Dorothy, hadn’t enrolled the boy in any kind of school yet.

I don't really understand why you switched tenses halfway through, but I'm guessing that was just a simple mistake you made.

Overall, it's an interesting premise, but the actual delivery could use some work.

Raindrop14

Soldier for Christ!
Thanks for reading! And thanks Keith for the critique, that helped a lot. Although I felt that for this story an omniscient third-person view was what I was feeling, I normally actually don't write that way, but I thought it fit with this particular story. Or maybe, now that I'm older and a little bit more experienced than when I started writing, I sort of subconsciously wanted to try out different viewpoints for my writing.

Anyway, here's two more parts, they are a bit short so that's why I decided to throw out two. And also because if I kept doing once a week it'd go past Halloween, which is not my plan. X3 Enjoy!

Pt3***
It had been four days since the incident at the park, and Jack was at his usual spot watching the same place as always; the street from where he came into this world. Jack didn’t ponder much on his existence anymore. Instead he wondered about the day he took a ghost from a body and sent it off somewhere. He wondered what might have happened to the ghost boy, whether he would be doomed to walk the earth forever, or even stay at his home until the end of time. His home was where Jack had told him to go, and no place else, so Jack wondered if that was the boy’s final destination. Had he the power to take people’s souls, as well as send them to their final destination? There was only one way in finding out.

Jack stood up and began walking to the park. Halfway down the driveway he stopped and considered going back to tell Dorothy that he was taking off. Would she think he’d gone back to the park, or that he was just taking another regular walk? Jack decided against telling her he was leaving, and continued walking.

He couldn’t remember where the park was exactly, considering he got there by “chance” the first time, and on the way home it was dark. So he figured wandering aimlessly would get him there once again. It didn’t.

Jack eventually found himself in front of a large building with stone steps leading up to some columns and then big wide doors. There were people outside going in and out, and some people sitting on steps reading books or talking with one another. This wasn’t the park, but since fate had brought him here he might as well not go against what fate had in store for him here.

Jack began ascending the steps to the doors, not looking at the people as they ignored him in return. In fact, people seemed to be avoiding him; however Jack didn’t really realize or care because he hadn’t had much contact with the rest of the world, and didn’t think anything of their behavior.

When Jack reached the large wooden doors they were already open, welcoming to all who wished to enter, so he went in. It was a large room, bigger than he’d ever seen, with several visible floors around and people walking all over the place. It wasn’t too loud in here, despite the amount of people, but Jack had never been in a loud place either so he didn’t find it abnormal at all. Although usually at a library there wasn’t much noise in the first place, but Jack didn’t know that. He didn’t even know he was in the library until he wandered his way over to a long desk in the center of the base floor and a woman with a nametag asked him if he needed anything.

“Where am I?” Jack asked.

The woman blinked and didn’t seem to understand for a moment, then she blinked again and smiled. “You are at Pricelynn Library young man. Home to many many great books. Here you will find all you need. Is there anything you’re looking for?”

“Thank you, I thought that was where I was. And no, I’m not looking for anything in particular. You see, I don’t know what I’m looking for, so I’ll just start somewhere work my way through the rest of the library.”

Jack nodded his head in thanks and walked off in a random direction. This library was where he would find all he needed, so that must have been why destiny brought him here. He could find out who he was, why he was able to touch that ghost, and much more that he was curious about. Jack started at the very first shelf of books he came to, labeled “History”.

Pt4***
Jack came home late once again. He was walking along the sidewalk and it was about midnight, or sometime after that since midnight was the time when he was kicked out of the library. He’d gotten quite far in his reading, he only had one more floor of books to go, but they insisted that he leave, however he was allowed to come back tomorrow. So that was what he would do, come back tomorrow to finish his reading work. And now what was Dorothy thinking? She’d be worried once again, the police might have to look for him this time, and that might cause Dorothy not to allow Jack to go out ever again.

Jack stopped walking for a moment. It might not be bad that he would never go back; he hadn’t even found anything at all related to his questions in those three floors of books he searched. Jack continued walking, figuring it was best to get home now rather than any later. But perhaps there was still a chance he could figure out the puzzle that is his life, so maybe it was better to read the rest of what the library had, just in case…

Jack was nearing the house; he recognized the street he was on to be the one he lived on. As far as he could see along the street there were no police cars, and Jack let out a sigh of relief. He walked along, more confident that he would not get in trouble, and his mood was lightened.
As he walked by a set of bushes he heard something moving near them. Jack paused and stared at the spot for a little bit. No animal came scurrying out and no person either. The wind had caused it then, and Jack continued walking. He heard another noise by the bushes and turned to see what had moved. Nothing at all.

“If you are a person please come out so I can see you, you aren’t being scary at all anyway,” Jack said.

There was a moment of silence, then the bushes moved a little and someone stood up. The figure was taller than Jack by about two heads, and from what Jack could see, there was hardly any light to see anything, the figure wore pretty tattered clothing. They didn’t even have shoes.
Jack stood there, looking at the figure, waiting for it to possibly say something. Perhaps a hello, or just a grunt if it couldn’t speak. The figure was silent.

“Who are you?” Jack asked.

The figure stayed silent.

“I appreciate you coming out from there, but since you won’t answer me I don’t want to waste my time in waiting here, so I’m going to leave. If you change your mind about telling me who you are, I don’t live too far from here. That’s where I’m going right now, so I don’t have time to waste.” Jack waited there for a moment. The figure stayed silent and unmoving. “Good bye.”

Jack continued walking, and he didn’t hear anything behind him as he walked. After a few seconds Jack turned around to see if the figure was still standing there. It wasn’t. It had disappeared into the night, leaving Jack with another mystery.

Jack hurried home, and when he entered the house he saw Dorothy sleeping on the couch. He stood still on the door mat inside, wondering if he should wake her up or not. Deciding that he should awaken her he went over to her and nudged her a little. That did nothing. He shook her a little more, and suddenly she opened her eyes and sat up. She looked around herself, and finally her eyes rested on Jack, and she smiled.

“Hello Jack. Sleeping, was I?” Dorothy chuckled. “Is there something you want, Jack? Were you not able to sleep?”

Dorothy hadn’t known he was out so late. She probably didn’t even know he went to the library today. What was he going to tell her then?

“Yeah, I couldn’t sleep,” Jack replied.

“Was it about the ghost? You should try to forget about that, Jack. You know it didn’t happen and it was just a trick of the lighting on the playground. You should go back to bed now, Jack. I should too.” Dorothy gave him a kiss on the forehead. “Good night, Jack.”

Dorothy went off to her bedroom, leaving Jack standing in the main room. She didn’t even believe his ghost story. If he told her he’d been out late tonight that would most assuredly cause her to be paranoid about letting him go out ever again, and then once again she wouldn’t believe his odd encounter. Jack turned and went to his room, then lay down in his bed without taking off his clothes and closed his eyes.

That was good. I am a poor judge of grammar and what not. But like this. i like how the tone is spooky but not overpowering.

Ganondork

goo
Huh. I certainly like where the story is going. Your descriptions have certainly improved, though you could have done a bit more with the library. I suppose we'll see more of it in Part 5, but for the time being, the library didn't seem to have very much purpose. In that regard, I'm interested in seeing what paranormal occurrence will happen when he returns. Definitely better than your first two chapters; keep it up!

Raindrop14

Soldier for Christ!
Thanks for reading! ^^ Aaaaaand, I forgot to make an update for this week. I was so busy I couldn't get to it. :< But look out for it probably on Sunday, because I'll still be busy until then. Hopefully I can get out another part and then let out the last one on Halloween. :>

Raindrop14

Soldier for Christ!
Here it is! Enjoy...

Pt5***
In the morning Jack jumped out of bed as soon as he woke up. Dorothy was reading the morning paper in the kitchen while making breakfast when Jack dashed through the room, heading for the front door.

“Jack! Jack, where are you going?”

“I’m going to the library,” Jack called to Dorothy as he opened the front door.

“Don’t you want your breakfast?”

“No thanks.”

Jack shut the door behind him and darted down the driveway. He began running as fast as he could along the way he remembered that led to the library. Or at least he thought it led to the library, and if fate thought he should get to the library again today then he would eventually make it there. There was no doubt in his mind that fate would direct him to the library again. Well, he wanted not to doubt, but somewhere in his mind he was recalling when he wanted to get to the park yesterday but ended up at the library. Perhaps he’d land somewhere else today?

His suspicion was right, he didn’t make it to the library. Instead he was at the park, again. Jack stopped at the edge of the grass and looked about at the park. The slide was gone along with the blood. The only thing that remained from the previous night were the memories that Jack had of the incident. He shivered and thought he might begin walking along the sidewalk in any direction, to get away from here and hopefully get to the library. But fate had brought him here, so he felt a sense of obligation to stay.

Jack walked around the playground, not looking at its empty swings or other unused things, and made his destination the bench he had sat on last time. He stopped at the bench and hesitated for a moment, deciding whether to sit down or not. As he waited he heard a noise behind him. He quickly turned around to see someone sitting on one of the swings, not swinging but just sitting there with their feet on the ground. The guy seemed considerably taller than Jack which made Jack think he was a lot older. Jack couldn’t see the man’s face but was able to tell he was a man due to the body build; he at least knew what a woman looked like and could tell two genders apart.

Jack sat down on the bench while keeping his eyes on the man. Something didn’t seem right with the man, Jack felt a little uneasy about him. The man looked a bit like Jack; short dark hair, although not as dark as Jack’s and this man’s hair was a bit messy, but his apparel was odd. Jack wore jeans, a black t-shirt and a black jacket all the time, but this man was wearing semi-tattered clothing with random fall colors about it. The man wasn’t wearing any shoes either, which made Jack conclude that this was just a normal poor man. Until the man turned to face Jack.
Jack felt a bolt of fear shoot through him and his body began to shake as he looked upon the ugly face of the creature. Its face was torn and its black eye sockets were filled with a feeling of infinite nothingness. It didn’t look like it had a nose, and its skin was a sickly green. Suddenly Jack was reminded of the night before, when he encounter a considerably tall being that looked tattered and distorted, however he was unable to see it clearly last night. This must be the same creature.

The creature’s mouth lay open with only a few teeth left, all rotting though, and it breathed slowly and heavily as its chest moved back and forth. Suddenly the creature stood, awkwardly albeit, and began walking, slow step by slow step, toward Jack. Jack couldn’t move, he was too afraid that it would suddenly leap at him and then he’d have tried to get away for nothing. He figured it was best to stay still and hope that the creature might not even be going after him, so it might walk right past him.

Jack held his breath and soon the creature was before him. It stopped, and just looked at Jack with its empty eyes. Jack wondered if he could get away now, perhaps the creature couldn’t even see since it had no eyes. Before Jack made a move, the creature suddenly grabbed Jack’s arm and pulled his arm to its mouth. Jack resisted but the creature’s grasp was so strong. The creature bit Jack’s wrist hard and Jack shouted in pain.

“Get off!” Jack shouted with grit teeth.

Jack could feel something escaping from him as the creature kept its hold on him, although Jack couldn’t tell what it was, he thought it was his blood, like the creature was a vampire. Jack kicked the creature as hard as he could in the stomach. That sent it flying across the playground and into a pole that helped hold the swings up. The creature dented the pole into the shape of a sideways V, and its body rolled onto the ground. Jack was shaking and holding onto the bench as he didn’t dare look away from the creature. It didn’t rise for several minutes, so Jack let out a sigh of relief thinking he had killed it. Jack looked at his wrist to see the bite mark as well as some blood pouring out of the wound and cringed. It was a nasty wound and it might get infected by an unknown disease from that thing, however Jack didn’t know whether he should go home to tell Dorothy or not, and clean his wound.

Once again, it was a case of whether she would believe him or not. Jack was suddenly interrupted by his thoughts when he saw movement coming from the creature. Jack stood up, holding onto his wrist to protect it, and began walking away from the scene. The creature was beginning to stand up, groaning as it did so, causing Jack to want to get out of there faster. Jack turned and began running away, hoping to get far away from the beast before it ate the rest of him.

“Wait!”

Jack heard a weak voice from behind him and turned around to see who was there. Perhaps the creature was attacking someone else now. When Jack turned he saw no one, however the creature was gone too. What was left in its place was a man not too much older than Jack, with the same hair the creature had although less messy and more normal like Jack’s. This man was also wearing the same clothes as the creature had been wearing, except his skin was normal and his body wasn’t in decay. His face was normal, except with a little blood around his mouth, and his eyes weren’t empty.

Jack hesitate a moment, wanting to begin running again in case this was a trick, but then he also wanted to know what had happened just now, so he waited. The man began standing up, rubbing his back probably because of the pain of hitting the pole, and soon he was standing somewhat completely upright; he was the same height as the creature had been, about a head or two taller than Jack.

“Ugh, you didn’t have to kick me like that, that hurt,” the guy said.

“Who are you?” Jack asked cautiously, still holding his wrist close to his chest.

“I’m… Well I don’t know really, it’ll come back to me in a moment, just give it time.” The man shrugged and began stretching out his muscles, circulating the blood in his body.

“Why did you attack me?”

“Oh yeah, that. Well I needed your blood in order to get back to myself, see? I’d still be that mindless monster had I not drank some of your blood just now. Sorry about that, but don’t worry it shouldn’t be hurting now, it should even be healing by now.”

Jack realized that it hadn’t been hurting for a while, and he looked at his wrist to see that all that was left were blood stains, as the wound had healed up completely. Jack’s eyes bulged wide and suddenly he heard the other guy laughing.

“What, that had never happened to you before?” The guy asked. “Wow, I’d have thought better of the Grimm Reaper!”

“The what?” Jacked asked, confused.

“Are you kidding me? You have no idea who the heck you are? This is great!” The man began laughing again.

“Hey, who is the Grimm Reaper?” Jack demanded.

The man stopped laughing. He suddenly realized he still had blood on his mouth and wiped it off with his sleeve. “Well you could have at least read some stories or fairytales with him in it, couldn’t you? Don’t you read at all?”

“I do,” Jack said. “And I do remember different versions of the Grimm Reaper, but I’m not like them at all. The Grimm Reaper is like a skeleton, I’m human.”

“Far from it!” The man said. “You may look human, but you are totally not human at all. You must be some experimented reincarnation or something. Usually you’d appear like you always do. I wonder what went wrong.”

“I still don’t believe I’m the Grimm Reaper. I’d have a scythe too, which I don’t have now do I?”

“Ha, you would have anything you want from the land beyond, just call for it.”

Jack looked at the man like he was crazy. He acted like a teenage boy just as he looked like a teenage boy. Could this be some kind of prank? Perhaps the wound was a trick or an illusion, and the creature change was just a quick taking off of a mask and removing of other makeups. But there was something in Jack that made him want to believe the guy. This guy seemed to know a lot about his origins, and he could tell Jack much more of where he came from…

Jack was curious if he could really call from the beyond. “Come here, scythe,” Jack said.

“Heh, you aren’t going to get a scythe to come to you that way. Your powers are pretty weak since you haven’t used any since you were reincarnated. Put force into it, and say it like a command.”

“I command you to come to me, scythe.”

Jack waited as nothing else happened. It truly was a trick, and this guy was playing a prank on him. Jack started walking away, angry that all this had happened and especially that this random guy had decided to tell him all these crazy things for fun. He would try to find the library and then go home, after probably having found nothing on his origin, and then he might live the rest of his life giving up and becoming a “normal person”.

“Wait!” The guy called as Jack heard him running to catch up to Jack.

The guy caught up in no time and started walking at Jack’s side.

“Hey, where are you going?”

“I’m going to the library, or wherever else fate sends me.”

“Do you think I’m joking or something? I’m telling you, you are the Grimm Reaper, I swear. I think I should be able to tell who you are no matter what.”

“And who are you that you say you could tell who I am no matter what?” Jack stopped and looked angrily at the guy.

“Heh, I just remembered. I’m Jack. Some call me Stingy Jack, others call me Jack of the Lantern, and then some past versions of you have called me just plain old jerk. But I’m all the same man. Haven’t you heard of me, or remember me?”

Jack thought for a moment. There were some points in the history books he had read at the library that mentioned some fairy tales about some kind of Irish Jack. This Irish Jack was how the pumpkin carving came about for the Halloween season. But those were make believe stories, this could not be the real Jack o’ the Lantern, and Jack himself could not be the Grimm Reaper, it was just impossible.

“I see that look on your face, you do remember me,” The man who claimed to be Stingy Jack said.

“But that can’t be at all, every bit of it is a story made for children,” Jack said.

“You’d better believe it’s real, because that’s who you and I are.”

Was there the possibility that Jack was the Grimm Reaper? Jack recalled the last few years of his life with Dorothy and remembered how something might happen every October that would make schools not want him in their buildings anymore. What would happen was unknown to Jack, because he could never remember what he did or what happened anywhere else at the end of every October, it was like he black out on the very last day. Was that day just coincidentally All Hallows Eve, or rather Halloween as other children preferred to call it, a day associated with both his own story and this other Jack’s story? And what about the ghost kid? The Grimm Reaper took souls when it was their time. The boy calling to Jack must have meant it was the boy’s time, and so Jack ended his life and told his soul to wander the boy’s house.

Jack had the power to take souls when it was their time, and to send them to their final destination. But what proof was there for him to be sure that this was true? Perhaps if he knew what happened every Halloween every year he might get proof and either believe or disbelieve. This new Jack might know what happened to him every year…

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom